Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 09:28   #16

Re: Obesity and diet pills

Thing is ..
Just telling someone with an obesity issue to 'Just dont eat it!' is unrealistic isn't it? and dismissive
If it was that easy, thats exactly what they would do.
Its a bit like telling an alcoholic to 'Just stop tipping it in yer mouth'
Doesnt work.

The intended use of the 'diet pills' is to teach you to stop eating fatty foods by creating a bowel havoc when you do...eek! Not nice. or to teach you to make smaller portions.
They aren't intended for long term use.
If someone loses a few pounds Im certain they will be motivated to carry that on, feel more self confident about doing exercise etc...

As for buying them over the counter I do think we forget that every adult has personal responsibility and needs to be accountable for their decisions be it a personal purchase or a px they make an appointment to see a professional persona about then ask for and choose to collect
planetsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-04-2009, 10:33   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsusie View Post
Thing is ..
Just telling someone with an obesity issue to 'Just don't eat it!' is unrealistic isn't it? and dismissive
If it was that easy, thats exactly what they would do.
Its a bit like telling an alcoholic to 'Just stop tipping it in yer mouth'
Doesnt work.

The intended use of the 'diet pills' is to teach you to stop eating fatty foods by creating a bowel havoc when you do...eek! Not nice. or to teach you to make smaller portions.
They aren't intended for long term use.
If someone loses a few pounds In certain they will be motivated to carry that on, feel more self confident about doing exercise etc...

As for buying them over the counter I do think we forget that every adult has personal responsibility and needs to be accountable for their decisions be it a personal purchase or a px they make an appointment to see a professional persona about then ask for and choose to collect
Just stop tipping it in yer mouth is spot on Susie, theres a lot to th statement "You Are What You Eat". like Margaret P I have my five a day everyday, but my problem is I can't exercise, its rather hard work with oxygen cannulas stuck up your nose ever day. I do eat quite sensibly really, my only problem is I like a glass of vino collapso, only in moderation you understand, no more that 3 or 4 bottles a week, mind you that's a lot Bette than 10 pints a night in my younger days Even so I am not that much over weight, even though I take some drugs which don't help
Old 08-04-2009, 10:38   #18

awww jaysay... Thats crap,
Cant they direct one of the pipes into yer tummy then the wine can go straight in? (glasses of wine doesn't really count in yer 5 a day ya know..haha)
hahaha
planetsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 18:48   #19
Senior Member+

Xenical will be sold under the brand name "alli" , it hasn't hit our shelves yet but is due any day, to be able to buy it over the counter you need to have your BMI checked and answer some lifestyle questions, your BMI has to be above a certain amount , ( think it's 35% off the top of my head but will check tomorrow) . It's not cheap, about £45 for a couple of weeks supply, £80 for a month, plus the side effects can be rather unpleasant , so much so that you could link sell Tena lady alongside it, also can cause malabsorption and isn't suitable for anyone on the oral contraceptive pill, and anyone with diabetes.
So, no, I won't be trying it!
Old 08-04-2009, 19:18   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Xenical will be sold under the brand name "alli" , it hasn't hit our shelves yet but is due any day, to be able to buy it over the counter you need to have your BMI checked and answer some lifestyle questions, your BMI has to be above a certain amount , ( think it's 35% off the top of my head but will check tomorrow) . It's not cheap, about £45 for a couple of weeks supply, £80 for a month, plus the side effects can be rather unpleasant , so much so that you could link sell Tena lady alongside it, also can cause malabsorption and isn't suitable for anyone on the oral contraceptive pill, and anyone with diabetes.
So, no, I won't be trying it!
They never told me that when they were discussing that as an option at the drs! Am now very glad I didnt try it
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 19:28   #21
God Member

think about it Emma, it makes you go to the loo more, hence cancelling out the pill
Old 08-04-2009, 19:31   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
They never told me that when they were discussing that as an option at the drs! Am now very glad I didnt try it
Would be ok if you were using other methods as well, but that sort of defeats the object of being on the pill!
Old 08-04-2009, 20:40   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
think about it Emma, it makes you go to the loo more, hence cancelling out the pill
Maybe when you actually sit down and think about it then yes (and just to note, i'm not stupid, just wasnt just wasnt given all this information at the time!) All that I was told was that it stops your body absorbing fats, not all the other "side effects" that come along with it. I didn't look any further into it as I choose not to use it, which is why I knew very little about it and some things are new information to me.
Old 08-04-2009, 20:41   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Would be ok if you were using other methods as well, but that sort of defeats the object of being on the pill!
Yeah, it does really. I wasnt told of this (and to be honest I dont think that it would be something that everyone would think about) think it is something that they need to inform people as it never sprung to mind with me until mentioned now
Old 08-04-2009, 20:42   #25
God Member

did anyone say you where stupid???
Old 08-04-2009, 20:49   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Yeah, it does really. I wasnt told of this (and to be honest I dont think that it would be something that everyone would think about) think it is something that they need to inform people as it never sprung to mind with me until mentioned now
Gotta agree with you there Emzy, I only know about that particular side effect from reading the training manual at work, and it's in very small print in there!
Old 09-04-2009, 09:46   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsusie View Post
awww jaysay... Thats crap,
Cant they direct one of the pipes into yer tummy then the wine can go straight in? (glasses of wine doesn't really count in yer 5 a day ya know..haha)
hahaha
You've just taken away the will to live Susie, there was me thinking that crushed grapes were fine as part of my 5 a day

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..