Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2009, 09:42   #1
Resting in Peace

why are there more people with allergies today

Seen an item on TV this morning which said that there are more and more people suffering with allergies these days, some people with multi-allergies, why do you think this is. My own thoughts are that when kids are growing up these days they are no longer come into contact with germs and diseases like the olden days, we used to build up resistance to lots of elements by coming into contact with them. I also think that modern living and modern foods also add to this, there was very few houses with central heat and fitted carpets (although a lot of people are turning to wooden floors again) what do you think
Old 14-04-2009, 09:46   #2
God Member

Re: why are there more people with allergies today

Chemical pollution weakens the immune system too

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 10:03   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Could the reason be that there are about 6.5 Billion of us on the planet, living closer and closer together and we can't help getting right up each others noses?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 10:36   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Seen an item on TV this morning which said that there are more and more people suffering with allergies these days, some people with multi-allergies, why do you think this is. My own thoughts are that when kids are growing up these days they are no longer come into contact with germs and diseases like the olden days, we used to build up resistance to lots of elements by coming into contact with them. I also think that modern living and modern foods also add to this, there was very few houses with central heat and fitted carpets (although a lot of people are turning to wooden floors again) what do you think
I agree with you, some children are kept in too "sterile" an environment these days. I do not have any allergies (that I am aware of, and after 27 years am sure that it would have been noticed by now if i was) I have not yet noticed any allergies with the boys (my house isnt dirty but at the moment they are outside looking for snails and worms ) The're dad on the other hand has many many allergies and I was warned that some of these may be passed on but luckily as yet theres no signs of anything (his mum always kept the house absolutely spotless). I think a bit of muck does them no harm and will build up their immune system as they are being introduced to "germs" which they need to build up a tollerence to them (if that makes sense lol)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 10:42   #5
God Member

maybe the mass medication of teh public with antibiotics has killed off our immune systems , its bad enough doctors handing them out for almost anything but they pump chickens full of them to make them fatter so were basicly a nation eating antibiotics every day wether it be through precription or whats allowed to be put in our food

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 10:55   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
maybe the mass medication of teh public with antibiotics has killed off our immune systems , its bad enough doctors handing them out for almost anything but they pump chickens full of them to make them fatter so were basicly a nation eating antibiotics every day wether it be through precription or whats allowed to be put in our food
Think I agree with you on the antibiotics accyman. I have recently been told that I'm no longer responsive to penicillin, which always worked fine with me and I am not one of those people that pump antibiotics down willy nilly. With having a depressed immune system anyway, fighting off infection is hard work at the best of time for me, but now I'm no longer responsive to penicillin its just made treatment that much harder
Old 14-04-2009, 11:52   #7

Increased population

Increased detection.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 13:22   #8

Every time we go to friends they are bathing the kids, every day! Why?
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 15:12   #9
Resting in Peace

Some years ago I attended a private allergy clinic in Whalley and it was found that I was allergic to many things.At first it was a struggle to find foods that I could eat without severe discomfort.I later decided that to overcome this I had to meet the challenge head on.
With this in mind I gradually re-introduced (with caution) all the things I was allergic to.After a time I found that I could cope with most things,but there always has to be the odd thing that will not conform.In my case there were two,Sugar and Yeast.

I battled on for 45 years facing the challenge relentlessly but always with the same result.

I fell down

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 16:13   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Some years ago I attended a private allergy clinic in Whalley and it was found that I was allergic to many things.At first it was a struggle to find foods that I could eat without severe discomfort.I later decided that to overcome this I had to meet the challenge head on.
With this in mind I gradually re-introduced (with caution) all the things I was allergic to.After a time I found that I could cope with most things,but there always has to be the odd thing that will not conform.In my case there were two,Sugar and Yeast.

I battled on for 45 years facing the challenge relentlessly but always with the same result.

I fell down
Was the clinic up Mitten Road, just before the railway bridge in what resembled a Swedish type house. I went to this clinic in Whalley about
15 years ago and was put on a special diet, which improved my condition no end in the short term
Old 14-04-2009, 16:22   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was the clinic up Mitten Road, just before the railway bridge in what resembled a Swedish type house. I went to this clinic in Whalley about
15 years ago and was put on a special diet, which improved my condition no end in the short term
Yes that is the one.The first part of my story was factual.

Come to think of it the second part is not that far off the mark either.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really

Last edited by Benipete; 14-04-2009 at 16:25.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 16:36   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

don't think all the crap we eat with additives helps a great deal either. virtually no such thing as fresh food these days.
Old 14-04-2009, 22:32   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
don't think all the crap we eat with additives helps a great deal either. virtually no such thing as fresh food these days.
Spot on Cashy and the only way to avoid it is to cook from scratch. If there were no convenience foods allergies would drop dramatically I would think
Old 15-04-2009, 06:42   #14
Beacon of light

I cook everything from scratch, but I have hay fever and eczema....both of which developed later on in my life.
The eczema, I think was caused by exposure to the harsh cleaning chemicals that we used in nursing.......and I nursed before it was common to wear plastic or latex gloves to do this sort of work.
The hay fever came on after I had been working with dried flowers(as a hobby and to make money for The Scanner Appeal).
These are just my personal observations of my allergies, and may not relate to anyone else.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 12:15   #15

Increased reliance on central heating & decreased ventilation i houses.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..