Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 15:46   #16
God Member

Re: Keeping chickens???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenibrindle View Post

The downside absolutely has to be the amount of poop in our garden. It is everywhere.

You say you have an allotment, well its certainly not a downside.............its excellent for your soil structure , scoop it up and dig it in for the coming winter months..........well done for rescuing some, a friend of ours did it and they are great little layers.......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-11-2009, 18:12   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
You say you have an allotment, well its certainly not a downside.............its excellent for your soil structure , scoop it up and dig it in for the coming winter months..........well done for rescuing some, a friend of ours did it and they are great little layers.......
What would I give for friends like that?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 18:41   #18
God Member

i'd love to have some chickens, but i very much doubt Twin Valley or the moaning old man next door would approve
Old 02-11-2009, 19:50   #19

We have some chickens, several. We bought pullets from a local farm and we also have a few 'rescue' chickens that we got from Clitheroe auction. They were in a sorry state with no feathers on their bottoms but it's really lovely to see them fatten up and live a life like normal hens. We also find that they lay really well and settle in very quickly.

Just a note on feeding them: I always heard of older people talking about feeding hens scraps. We looked into it and found that hens are pretty much scavengers really. They love bread and cereal etc. We began to feed them all our veg and fruit peelings, stale (not mouldy) bread, cake etc. Also plain leftover pasta or rice. They LOVE it.
Potato peelings have to be cooked as they are poisonous raw, and carrot tops or other large chunks of hard veg are better cooked a little to soften them.
I have a family so we have quite a lot of veg peelings to give them. I collect the peelings in a food bag and then every few days quickly boil it up for the hens. It cuts down the hen food cost by at least 1/4, and the hens always race to be the first to get to the scrap bucket.

My next ambition now is to get some silkies, and also to have some of our own baby chicks next year. Not sure quite how to go about that so I'll have to look into it...
Galloping Hairpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 20:05   #20
Passed away 25-11-09

Keep a small pile of rotting wood in a corner of the pen (one plank would do) and turn it over every week or so. The beetles, worms, grubs and bugs that are turned up will delight your hens and add protein to their food.
Old 02-11-2009, 20:10   #21
Senior Member+

Its in the deeds of the house that i can't have any chickens .
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 21:01   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloping Hairpin View Post
also to have some of our own baby chicks next year. Not sure quite how to go about that so I'll have to look into it...

a cock might help
Old 02-11-2009, 21:50   #23
God Member

..I'd be interested in someone telling me how a clutch of eggs layed over several days allways seem to hatch at the same time , (I thought incubation times were allways the same length of time, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think a hen can lay more than one or two eggs a day but they seem to hatch at the same time )........don't think we studied that when I was at skoo
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 22:20   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
You need a shed or chicken coup for them to roost in at night so that may be your "permanent structure". You should also bear in mind that hens like to scratch in the soil and can transform a hen-pen into a mudbath with consumate ease. Add in the cost of feed and the fact that they all go "off lay" from time to time and it might prove an expensive way of getting fresh eggs. Still, I like hens and it could prove a nice hobby for you. Good luck.
both these items would be made of wood therefore not a permanent structure and perfectley legal to put up.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 23:14   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
..I'd be interested in someone telling me how a clutch of eggs layed over several days allways seem to hatch at the same time , (I thought incubation times were allways the same length of time, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think a hen can lay more than one or two eggs a day but they seem to hatch at the same time )........don't think we studied that when I was at skoo
It is because the hen only start's to incubate when she has laid the whole clutch of eggs. The incubation time is from when the eggs have been warmed to the correct temperature.
Old 02-11-2009, 23:46   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It is because the hen only start's to incubate when she has laid the whole clutch of eggs. The incubation time is from when the eggs have been warmed to the correct temperature.
Thanks Neil , never knew that , any idea of how much of a temperature drop (from a hens body temp) an egg can withstand and still be "revived" ........
Know its a bit of a daft question , but in theory could the 'fertile' farmers market organic eggs I have in the fridge be revived if put under a hen or in an incubator ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 23:49   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

From wiki answers

Quote:
Viability of a FERTILIZED egg will drop if kept in the refrigerator for any length of time.
Cool about 50F (not cold) and dark with good humidity is the normal way of saving fertile eggs for incubation. A maximum of 7 days. After the seven day period the first save lose better than 50% of their chance at hatch and that drops daily for every extra day saved thereafter.
Old 03-11-2009, 17:41   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
a cock might help
Ha yes well I have one of those! ....A bad tempered old thing he is too. The problem is how to know if the eggs are fertile (if he is any good) and how to make the hen sit on them for the full incubation time. We tried getting a broody hen but she stopped being broody after a week or so and the eggs were all bad...We have a little incubator too but haven't tried it as I wanted the hens to hatch them themselves (like proper hens)!
Galloping Hairpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 17:50   #29
God Member

maybe the broody hen didnt like the cock and therefore went off the boil so to speak
Old 03-11-2009, 17:56   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Use the incubator then. Have you seen the cock doing the business with the hens?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..