Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-07-2009, 19:50   #1

jack russell

hello,ive been offered a jack russell dog thats 18 month old,problem is i have a 6 year labrador and 2 kids ,5 and 10 year olds, just wandering if anyone has a jack russell and can give me some info on them and if it will be ok with my lab and kids...cheers ..Paul.
tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-07-2009, 19:59   #2
God Member

Re: jack russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
hello,ive been offered a jack russell dog thats 18 month old,problem is i have a 6 year labrador and 2 kids ,5 and 10 year olds, just wandering if anyone has a jack russell and can give me some info on them and if it will be ok with my lab and kids...cheers ..Paul.
I have a JRT staying with me; she belongs to a good friend of mine who is too sick to look after her at the moment. To be honest, a JRT would not be my choice of dog. They are single-minded, stubborn, aggressive, and hyper .... probably the complete antithesis of your lab. However, if your house is infested with rats, the JRT would be a good choice. I can take my Rottis to the off-leash park, no problem. They get along great with the other dogs; but the JRT ... no way.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 20:06   #3
God Member

they are aggressive, i certainly wouldnt have one near a young child, my sis got bit by one a few years ago, she was only walking past the darn thing...and they are yappy little blighters

so my answer would be NO dont get it...but thats just my opinion

they are the only breed of dog i cant stand...and i love dogs
Old 23-07-2009, 20:11   #4

thanks for your replys,i thought as much to be honest but thought id make sure,where an animal loving family and dont want it spoiling by a dog!
Old 23-07-2009, 20:55   #5
Senior Member+

IMHO it depends on the upbringing of the dog.All breeds of dog have the capability of being 'Nasty'.Me myself I have a Rotweiller which have had their share of bad press,but she is fine with my 4 kids and their friends.See if you can find out more about him,is he used to kids etc ? But your right to be cautious.
Old 23-07-2009, 21:05   #6

he not been with kids at all,2 adults only,
Old 23-07-2009, 21:09   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
he not been with kids at all,2 adults only,
Might be iffy,when I got mine from the breeders I took kids up with me and the parents were brilliant with them,LOL even the BIG monster of a father
Old 23-07-2009, 21:13   #8
God Member

If you were getting a puppy from a reputable breeder, it might be ok. But a dog someone else has raised .... I don't know about that.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 21:14   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
If you were getting a puppy from a reputable breeder, it might be ok. But a dog someone else has raised .... I don't know about that.
Yes I agree with you Eric,that's why I said to check things out.
Old 23-07-2009, 21:25   #10

the bloke who wants to give it away says the reason is its stuck in doors for 12 hours a day,and its not fair,so looks like its not had the best start to life,and probably not trained properly but its 18 month old and not too old to learn new things,im more worried about it with my kids with them being snappy,plus they have a rabbit !! lol
Old 23-07-2009, 21:30   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
they are aggressive, i certainly wouldnt have one near a young child, my sis got bit by one a few years ago, she was only walking past the darn thing...and they are yappy little blighters

so my answer would be NO dont get it...but thats just my opinion

they are the only breed of dog i cant stand...and i love dogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
They are single-minded, stubborn, aggressive, and hyper .... probably the complete antithesis of your lab. However, if your house is infested with rats, the JRT would be a good choice. I can take my Rottis to the off-leash park, no problem. They get along great with the other dogs; but the JRT ... no way.
I am inclined to say what alot of bollocks but I wont...

haveing been brought up with jack russells and bred them also - in the wrong hands they are as dangerous as any other dog that walks BUT in the correct hands with the correct upbringing and training they are lovely dogs - it is a misconception that they are little ankle biters - obviously the ones you have encountered had a difficult life and were not happy..

pretty much like rottis - they are big scarey devil dogs that shouldnt be out during the day so people will tell you - but in actual fact they are big loveable squidgy faced things - again in the wrong hands they are fearsome beasts..

the point I am trying to make is that any dog can be a loving happy companion in the right hands..

I have a JRT and its the softest thing ever - he is scared of cats and rabbits!...and around my little one who is nearly 2 - well he is scared of little one as he is fed up getting his ears pulled - its a great laugh for the little one but not for the dog
and for a JRT to be a decent ratter they are best from farm stock when mum and dad would be ratters also - a JRT born in a normal family environment will be no better a ratter than a pekinese..

if you lab is 6 years old and the JRT is 18 months - I would not worry about the lab - as it will put the pup in place as it will be the alpha dog. and also at 18 months - its still young and can easily be trained by a loving owner.

hard hat is on waiting for the replys..

Last edited by glasgow guy; 23-07-2009 at 21:34.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 21:31   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
the bloke who wants to give it away says the reason is its stuck in doors for 12 hours a day,and its not fair,so looks like its not had the best start to life,and probably not trained properly but its 18 month old and not too old to learn new things,im more worried about it with my kids with them being snappy,plus they have a rabbit !! lol
Rabbit should be OK after all it will be in a hutch.Dont let them out together unless under adult super vision.We to have a rabbit as well and they are fine together.
Old 23-07-2009, 21:36   #13
Senior Member+

mines are scared of our rabbits - but they are bigger than the JRT!
Old 23-07-2009, 21:37   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
thats fair play for the guy who realises that its not fair on the dog..some folk wouldnt care a jot about that type of thing..
Old 23-07-2009, 22:03   #15
Resting in Peace

Not a dog expert at all, but think the comments about all types of dogs 'can be dangerous when reared badly' is correct.

I have only three experiences of Jack Russells. My ex next door neighbour had one, and he lived between my house and theirs ...loved him to bits, never showed any type of aggression even though there has always been plenty of children around. The only times he got aggressive was when he spotted my last cat ... but believe me he got the worst of it ...

Amazingly, my ex. neighbours have now rented their house and, guess what, the new tenants have just acquired a puppy Jack Russell. He is a little naughty at the moment .. keeps running into my garden, but comes back wagging his tail when called.
Just taken him back early on .. came to me when I shouted his name, picked him up, gave me a saliva beauty face treatment and returned him ... he is adorable.

My friend had a long haired one and he was a different kettle of fish ... when I went to visit, would jump up at you for 10 minutes and quite nippy .. acquired a few bruises. However, my friend looked after her grandson from birth quite a lot and I have babysat on a few occasions ... again no aggression to the baby. Unfortunately, he did attack and kill her next door neighbour's cat, so she had to have him put down as was told my the vet that once they got the smell of a kill, may not stop. R.I.P. Eric.

I have a canine colleague at work, who is a labrador, and find that he loves the company of other dogs. Why don't you take him for a couple of days Tintin to see how he behaves.

Sorry to witter on, but would not say no to having this breed of dog.

Last edited by katex; 23-07-2009 at 22:05.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..