Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 22:53   #46

Re: Nori Brick

the two out side ones will be the older and look like specials, the middle looks like a saint annes engineering brick,made exclusively by nori. who also made thousands of various shapes in ridge tiles, they even made buttons,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-03-2013, 23:04   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
I found a different theory about where the NORI name comes from some time ago. It seems more plausible than the others I've heard, and would also explain why it isn't common knowledge. Text is taken from the Penmorfa Old Bricks website.

"There are two places in the British Isles where you get a particular bed of clay containing alumina (refractory ore), lower red marl and iron ore all in the same measure. They are Broseley in Shropshire and Accrington in the Darwen Valley in Lancashire. Both areas are renowned for their very high quality and extremely resillient bricks. At one stage or another on the Broseley clay beds there were around 45 brickworks. One of these was the works of Capt. John Anstice: confusingly named The Madeley Wood Tile Works. Set up in 1851 this works produced bricks, roofing & floor tiles, also chimney pots and land drain pipes. It closed in 1956.

The brand for this company was IRON, as they also owned several ironworks and blast furnaces. When the Accrington Brick Company began mass production, they also branded their bricks IRON. Capt Anstice got to hear of it and threatened them with court action for breach of his brand copyright. So in an excellent euphoria of marketing, Accrington spelled the name backwards on their bricks and advertised that their brick was "Iron whichever way you put it." Hence today the Accrington NORI is well known and the IRON BROSELEY is forgotten."
If that supposition is correct, then Nori must have made some bricks with Iron on them. for Broseley to get uppity, how come some of those have never surfaced in all these years.

This seems more likely than all of the popular local theories I've heard (several listed on this thread). I contacted Tony Mugridge who runs the website to see if he had reference material for this, and unfortunately he didn't, but said that it was considered relatively common knowledge amongst those who know.

He was also able to reasonably discredit the 'muddled mould' theory:

Quite from common sense: To put the letters in the wrong order on a brick would never matter. Only brick collectors and historians are interested in what it says in the frog [the frog is the indented bit at the top and bottom that carries the logo] . But to put the letters in the wrong order in the foundry, well that would never happen as even apprentice work is checked! No business after all, is going to suggest that they changed the brand on their product because they were threatened with legal action because they copied a brand name.
Not only in the Frog some bricks had the name on the face
So my question is, does anyone have a copy of one of these "Iron whichever way you put it" adverts? I haven't been able to find one so far, and I think it would help to finally clear up the mystery.
As for the muddled letters theory, having spent the first 12 years of my working life as a pattern maker at Lang Bridges & Bulloughs, no way could that have got thro, several patterns would have been needed before the product reached the brick makers, misspelling on so many patterns, never.

Last edited by Retlaw; 03-03-2013 at 23:10.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 00:01   #48
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
just been down a beach in the west of scotland and found it littered with nori bricks heres a few pictures.does anybody know how old they are
Interesting to find three different types on the one beach. We were at Silverdale at the top end of Morecambe Bay a few years ago and found loads of 18th century china sherds. I used to be an archaeologist and it was hard to not pick them up!

Here on Morecambe beach it's a bit of a desert as the town doesn't go back much before 1850. There are one or two interesting finds though...

BBC News - Rare whale vomit found on Morecambe beach
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Interesting to find three different types on the one beach. We were at Silverdale at the top end of Morecambe Bay a few years ago and found loads of 18th century china sherds. I used to be an archaeologist and it was hard to not pick them up!

Here on Morecambe beach it's a bit of a desert as the town doesn't go back much before 1850. There are one or two interesting finds though...

Never realised Morecambe was that bad susie
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 13:04   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Never realised Morecambe was that bad susie
The whale obviously did.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 04-03-2013 at 13:09.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 18:21   #51
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Probably the result of a stag/hen night at Blackpool.
Old 04-03-2013, 23:30   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

there was a huge dynamite factory nobel peace prize fame.they employed 30,000 people at one point these bricks must have came from there as theyve came down a cliff so some must be about 1860
Old 05-03-2013, 10:14   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
there was a huge "dynamite factory" nobel peace prize fame.they employed 30,000 people at one point these bricks must have came from there as theyve came down a cliff so some must be about 1860
I think you will find that Dynamite was not invented until 1867
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20   #54
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I think you will find that Dynamite was not invented until 1867
Nice one Barrie
Old 05-03-2013, 10:35   #55
I am Banned

Quote:
there was a huge dynamite factory nobel peace prize fame.they employed 30,000 people at one point these bricks must have came from there as theyve came down a cliff so some must be about 1860
Would this be the very one cmonstanley?

Alfred Nobel in Scotland

Some dates for you and Mr Yates too.

Last edited by DtheP47; 05-03-2013 at 10:37. Reason: and another thing...
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49   #56
God Member

"The prevailing academic consensus is that gunpowder was formulated in the 9th century by Chinese alchemists" - wikipedia

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:06   #57
I am Banned

Lot's and lots of ways of making a big bang.
The IRA used weedkiller mixed with another common household item to make explosives as some correspondents on here will attest to * I have always liked the tale of how Hannibal shattered the boulders blocking his way across the Alps with fire and vinegar.
See wiki "Fire-setting"
*No names no pack-drill

Last edited by DtheP47; 05-03-2013 at 11:07. Reason: trypo
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 17:43   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
"The prevailing academic consensus is that gunpowder was formulated in the 9th century by Chinese alchemists" - wikipedia
Gunpowder and dynamite have very little in common except the properties to make a big bang.
Old 05-03-2013, 21:56   #59
Senior Member+

looks like Nori werent the only ones to "misspell", saw this today so got a pic for you all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_4666.jpg (558.7 KB, 47 views)

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:51   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchfcrules View Post
looks like Nori werent the only ones to "misspell", saw this today so got a pic for you all
And before anybody mentions it, no my Grandfather didn't work at Nori Brickyard
DtheP47 likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..