Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-10-2009, 21:28   #16
God Member

Re: Alternatives to Halloween in Accy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Dont see what's wrong with the halloween themed bowling..... Margaret is right. Screw taking your kids to be mindwarped
The thread starter said she doesn't do Hallowe'en , that's why the hallowe'en themed bowling wouldn't be suitable for her.

How will her kids be 'warped' by going to this white light party at the church?
Accrington Web
Old 30-10-2009, 21:37   #17
Senior Member+

lmao @ falsewillout. Halloween is something fun... Its not 'devil worshipping'

true lilly about the halloween and no 'doing' but i went to it and i dont think its scary for children...its fun for them

taking them to any church group for children. Well my neice goes to a christian 'youth club' and i her what she does there. She said ' we play games, sing and WORSHIP' hmm

oh yes all behind the fun, games and sweeties they are pushing god onto children at the same time.
Old 30-10-2009, 21:43   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthwillout View Post
very sad that global used to be the house of God and now celebrates halloween,focusses on money and most social activities are centered round a bar.and they still say it is a church!!!The idea of Jesus ,tables and temple come to mind
Every church I know focus on money, their always pleading for it for one reason or another

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 21:43   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
lmao @ falsewillout. Halloween is something fun... Its not 'devil worshipping'

true lilly about the halloween and no 'doing' but i went to it and i dont think its scary for children...its fun for them

taking them to any church group for children. Well my neice goes to a christian 'youth club' and i her what she does there. She said ' we play games, sing and WORSHIP' hmm

oh yes all behind the fun, games and sweeties they are pushing god onto children at the same time.
Some people do hallowe'en, others don't.

I don't do hallowe'en. I just don't agree with it so I don't bother with it.

Just like the youth club your neice attends. If it is run by a church, then yes, it will contain references to God. The same principle applies, if you don't agree with it, you don't send your children there.

Each to their own.
Old 30-10-2009, 21:52   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Every church I know focus on money, their always pleading for it for one reason or another
as i like to say

Money is the root of all evil please make a donation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Some people do hallowe'en, others don't.

I don't do hallowe'en. I just don't agree with it so I don't bother with it.

Just like the youth club your neice attends. If it is run by a church, then yes, it will contain references to God. The same principle applies, if you don't agree with it, you don't send your children there.

Each to their own.
I don't send her there. It's not my choice. I told my mum(my parents have custody) my opinions but what difference does a guy that think religion is pure evil make in peoples choices??

I don't really 'do' halloween myself. Though my friend wants me to go to a halloween party though...of which i will there will be plenty for us drink hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenibrindle View Post
Last year they got very upset ?

I am curious though. What made them upset. The knocking at the door? Other children having fun and trying to make a bit of pocket money? The scary masks??? what????

Well you could send them all to bed early with Walkmans playing music into their ears...... Then they cant hear anybody knocking on the door or other halloween related horrors
Old 30-10-2009, 21:55   #21
Resting in Peace

If you want something to do that has absolutely nothing to do with Halloween
you can all come round to my house and paint the landing,and 3 bedrooms
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 22:02   #22
God Member

Jenibrindle, if you do end up staying in tomorrow night, get one of those 'No Trick or Treaters please' signs for your front door.

You can get them from libraries. I got one last year and will be using it again tomorrow. It was very effective last year, most people respected it and did not knock on our door. We had 2 knocks, compared with about 50 the year before.
Old 30-10-2009, 22:09   #23
God Member

It is the feast of Samhain, which is the ancient celtic pagan ritual to honour the dead.
Some people practice Wiccan religion, and many of them see the halloween pranks as 'dishonouring' their religion by depiction of witches as evil.

I regard all religions as uneccessary.
I do not agree with the disrespect one religion's followers show to another.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 01:22   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
If you want something to do that has absolutely nothing to do with Halloween
you can all come round to my house and paint the landing,and 3 bedrooms
I'll bring the white spirit.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 08:03   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenibrindle View Post
Yep, the one next to Pet Warehouse.

What's God's opinion on sacrificial Budgies and Rabbits? Or does the pet store now do specials on Roosters & Goats?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 10:11   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Jenibrindle, if you do end up staying in tomorrow night, get one of those 'No Trick or Treaters please' signs for your front door.

You can get them from libraries. I got one last year and will be using it again tomorrow. It was very effective last year, most people respected it and did not knock on our door. We had 2 knocks, compared with about 50 the year before.
You will be getting more than 2 knocks on your door this year
Old 31-10-2009, 10:42   #27

Oh dear, I was worried this thread might go astray.

Just want to stress that my kids are frightened by the scary monsters and creatures that knock on my door at night (all three are under seven years old). However, they are boys and are fascinated by all things scary/spooky in the light of day.

I am a Christian and attend a church in Blackburn. I have previously answered the door to trick or treaters and given out a lolly attached to a Christian themed sticker/rubber/pencil sharpener. These children that call do not mean any harm and I don't believe that they are practising witchcraft. Akso, what a perfect witnessing opportunity. They're calling at my home - why should I hide from them?

I haven't actually found a Christian friend who can tell me why some Christians do not participate in (can't use the word celebrate) Halloween. No, I do not like the references to devils and evil spirits as I do believe that these are very real things and I shouldn't be encouraging my kids to dress up as them and make it "fun".

However, I just find it all nonsense. Every year it gets worse. I don't think anyone should disturb anyone else at home without their prior permission - and I include Christian door-knockers in that as well as my church, the Salvation Army, that drop envelopes once a year.

What I'm trying to say is each to their own. I'm not judging those that do it (I know Christians that do), in my house we just don't and want to reduce exposure to it.

May just take them out to see a movie at cinema or perhaps get a "no trick or treaters" sign.

Here endeth the lesson. Bless you.
jenibrindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 11:12   #28
Junior Member+

Well said jenibrindle
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 15:15   #29
Junior Member+

there are a group of children from an orphanage in Tanzania singing at accrington town hall tonight at 7.30.it's well worth going.they are called the Bethany Family and this can be found on the website of the same name.a great night out for children and adults
truthwillout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 15:30   #30
Junior Member+

i agree churches need money to pay bills etc but i meant it shouldn't be for personal gain or the wrong motives.if money is given to bless others in need then that is what we're asked to do.feed the hungry,clothe the naked etc.we should care about others in need then the world would be a better place.our society seems to be getting more lawless and more selfish so we should perhaps have more love and empathy when people are troubled.i think many people feel this way but churches should take a lead and practice what they preach.
truthwillout is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..