Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2010, 12:25   #1

Waterloo House, Accrington

Does anyone know anything about the Waterloo district of Accrington?
I believe it was at the Burnley Road end of Queen's Road and named after Waterloo House which was demolished for the construction of the railway.
Can anyone confirm this?
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2010, 14:25   #2
Super Moderator

Re: Waterloo House, Accrington

I always thought Waterloo was the area to the east of Whalley Road between the railway line and the hospital (Owen St, Ramsbottom St etc), although it's not a commonly used name.
Old 31-01-2010, 08:25   #3
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I always thought Waterloo was the area to the east of Whalley Road between the railway line and the hospital (Owen St, Ramsbottom St etc), although it's not a commonly used name.
Just to confirm, there was certainly a Waterloo House (in fact I think there were three or four "Waterloo something" addresses) on that short stretch of Whalley Road between Ramsbottom Street and Owen Street, all backing onto Greengates.
exaccyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:17   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yes Wynonie ... in Shurmer's guide he describes it just as between these streets ... 'Waterloo houses and cottages' then as above.

Waterloo house is down as a home for the elderly at 120, Whalley Road. (1986)

Like you, this is the first time I have heard of it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:41   #5
Resting in Peace

Latest google is listing 120 Whalley Road as a children's home.

Rosehannah Care, Childrens Homes in Accrington
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 16:58   #6
Junior Member+

I have seen this rather late in the day I fear. From 1947 to 1965 I used to live at Waterloo, 124 Whalley Road in Accrington.

There were four houses in the row (occupants in brackets) - 120 Milnshaw House (Dr ? - it may come back to me!), 122 Ravenshaw (Finch), 126 Belmont (Yates).

Richard Kenyon
RichardMBKenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 20:17   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardMBKenyon
I have seen this rather late in the day I fear. From 1947 to 1965 I used to live at Waterloo, 124 Whalley Road in Accrington.

There were four houses in the row (occupants in brackets) - 120 Milnshaw House (Dr ? - it may come back to me!), 122 Ravenshaw (Finch), 126 Belmont (Yates).

Richard Kenyon
According to Google Milnshaw House is no. 161 Whalley Road and is currently the home of the Cummins Mellor Recruitment Agency. The doctor you refer to, is it Dr. Kafel who lived at Milnshaw House in the 1960s, where he had a GPs surgery?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 21:47   #8
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardMBKenyon View Post

Richard Kenyon

Don't ask me which bit of brain remnant this came from Richard, but could it have been Dr Wheeler?

All best wishes to you and your family

John Mason
Old 15-01-2017, 09:25   #9
Senior Member+

I was at St John's School until 1952 with a John Mason who lived bottom of Water St (?) and will now be in mid-70s - is that you, John? His nickname was Nodge.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 10:13   #10

I think that would be Roy Mason Bob.he was Nodge. Not siure but I think he died
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 12:19   #11
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I was at St John's School until 1952 with a John Mason who lived bottom of Water St (?) and will now be in mid-70s - is that you, John? His nickname was Nodge.

'Fraid not Bob.
Old 15-01-2017, 18:51   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I think that would be Roy Mason Bob.he was Nodge. Not siure but I think he died
He was a big tall lad, sorry to hear hes gone.
Old 16-01-2017, 15:18   #13
Senior Member+

I suspect I am wrong , as Roy Mason sounds more familiar.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:14   #14

Bob,
You were right the first time! Nodge was indeed John Mason. I used to play snooker with him at the Central Billiard hall underneath the “Bug Hut”.
I also got confirmation on this from my Brother and Sister in law. My Sister in law lived at the bottom of Water St. Her maiden name was Margaret Eaton. John Mason attended their wedding as a family friend and I have a group photo where he is on it, which I sent to her the other day.

Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:59   #15
Senior Member+

Thanks for that, landusweg. .......In the area of Waterloo lived the Finch family, owners/partners in Finch Watson Engineers of Greengates in 1950s-60s. I learned last week that the eldest son, Jim has recently died. Survived by brothers Bob and Bill

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..