Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 16:09   #211
Give, give, give member

Re: Weatherspoons Pub coming to Accy???

Went in today.

I think they've done a fantastic refurbishment.

Loved the paintings and prints by local artists relating to Accrington, and the locally connected ephemera on display.

Brilliant outdoor garden space too.

Staff were friendly, and efficent.

Was also very busy.

Not a sight you see in many local pubs in the daytimes.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2011, 16:35   #212
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I hated Todmorden......it always felt really oppressive..even on a sunny day.
Bad earth magic.
Bacup is the same.
Todmorden's alright Margaret. The cricket ground at Tod, Centre Vale next to the park, is one of the most attractive grounds I've been on. The only downside with Tod, is that it's dangerously near Yorkshire.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 17:48   #213
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Right you two need not apply for the job at the Todmorden Tourist office !
I'd sooner walk 20 miles over broken glass, it would be more painless
Old 10-08-2011, 17:50   #214
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Todmorden's alright Margaret. The cricket ground at Tod, Centre Vale next to the park, is one of the most attractive grounds I've been on. The only downside with Tod, is that it's dangerously near Yorkshire.
Ya Bernard, its just a shame about the town
Old 10-08-2011, 19:24   #215
Senior Member+

Re: Wetherspoons Pub coming to Accy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
From what I here wadey they are very busy Friday Saturday nights Sunday afternoon and nights, and quite busy during the week with both pool and darts teams probably won't have that much effect

Yeah I were in Fri night, Sat Aft and it were packed when I were there.
I think it is a very nice and welcome addition to town.
Cheap ale. Half a pint of "Wobbly Bob", pint of Lime and Soda and a Root Beer and it came to £2.67!
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 19:35   #216
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Right you two need not apply for the job at the Todmorden Tourist office !
I'm heart broken. I really wanted that job too
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 19:38   #217
Beacon of light

Quote:
Oh Bernard you disappoint me....there I was thinking you were a discerning chap. Todmordens cricket ground would be much more attractive if it wasn't anywhere near Todmorden.
The place (Tod) makes me shudder.
I can think of nothing good about it...well, other than the road out of it.
No wonder they put a boys Borstal there.
Old 10-08-2011, 19:42   #218
Senior Member+

Quote:
Todmorden is in Yorkshire and has been since they moved the Yorkshire border to take in all of Todmorden in 1898 or 89.
The Walsden Water runs under the Town hall to join the Calder and they were the original border between the two Counties, the Town hall has statues above which depict the wool and cotton trades of both Counties.

I lived in a house in Walsden which straddled the Walden water but by then it was all Yorkshire.
Daft bit is the Todmorden post code which is OL for Oldham district.

I agree about the Cricket ground and Walsden also has a nice one, Todmorden is in the Lancashire league and Walsden in the Central Lancashire League. i was the scorer (in the box, not on the field) when they won the Wood cup with Everton Weekes as pro, they had him on loan from Bacup.

What all this has to do with Weatherspoons I don't know but I just fancied mentioning my home County after my few pints of Stella, not in the above establishment by the way, that pleasure still awaits, so I am told.
Old 10-08-2011, 20:02   #219
Senior Member+

There's always a bit of banter about the Yorkshire connection when we play a Tod. Yorkshire seconds play at Tod, and yet as you say Tod are in the Lancashire League. The league I would think pre dates the redrawing of the boundaries. An interesting connection with Wetherspoons is that the first meeting to form the Lancashire League was held in the Commercial in Accrington, which is now off course Wetherspoons.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 20:14   #220
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Todmorden is in Yorkshire and has been since they moved the Yorkshire border to take in all of Todmorden in 1898 or 89.
The Walsden Water runs under the Town hall to join the Calder and they were the original border between the two Counties, the Town hall has statues above which depict the wool and cotton trades of both Counties.

I lived in a house in Walsden which straddled the Walden water but by then it was all Yorkshire.

I agree about the Cricket ground and Walsden also has a nice one, Todmorden is in the Lancashire league and Walsden in the Central Lancashire League. i was the scorer (in the box, not on the field) when they won the Wood cup with Everton Weekes as pro, they had him on loan from Bacup.

What all this has to do with Weatherspoons I don't know but I just fancied mentioning my home County after my few pints of Stella, not in the above establishment by the way, that pleasure still awaits, so I am told.

The link which you may have overlooked, is the fact that the White Hart in Todmorden has just been renovated by JD Wetherspoons.
My auntie lived on Square road in Walsden...I went every Friday after school and stayed until Sunday teatime...not my choice, I went to help her out...do shopping, cleaning etc.......didn't like Tod, and wasn't overfond of Walsden either.
Old 10-08-2011, 20:19   #221
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Wetherspoons Pub coming to Accy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
Yeah I were in Fri night, Sat Aft and it were packed when I were there.
I think it is a very nice and welcome addition to town.
Cheap ale. Half a pint of "Wobbly Bob", pint of Lime and Soda and a Root Beer and it came to £2.67!
Well no ruddy wonder yeh been ill this week heth.
Old 10-08-2011, 20:43   #222
Beacon of light

Hope you are feeling better Heth....I have to say the root beer concoction does sound like it might be an acquired taste....I think I will give it a miss.
Old 10-08-2011, 20:58   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Walsden Cricket Club yesterday
Walsden Cricket & Bowling Club. Ground, Scott Street, off Rochdale Road, Walsden OL14 7SX
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3004.jpg (573.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3003.jpg (556.8 KB, 1 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 21:10   #224
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Went in today.

I think they've done a fantastic refurbishment.

Loved the paintings and prints by local artists relating to Accrington, and the locally connected ephemera on display.

Brilliant outdoor garden space too.

Staff were friendly, and efficent.

Was also very busy.

Not a sight you see in many local pubs in the daytimes.

It all reads just too familiar. A lick of paint on the outside and another one in the inside, followed by a few local piccy's on the walls (just to keep the natives happy), some new cheap chunky furniture, a couple of bandit's for the ner' do wells, a deep pile shag carpet (for them who've got lino) and some dodgy astoturf out the back for the snouts brigade. In other words, a typical cheapo drinking hole for gullible northerners put togeather by a tatty southern based retail outfit.

There is one thing, though and I would appreciate if someone could clarify this: did I read on here or did I just dream it, that this drinking establishment has installed a nappy changing facility? Can you confirm that this is in fact, a nightmare and is not true? For if it is true, then what next? A nursery up one corner of the bar?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 21:28   #225
Beacon of light

can your fiddle only play one tune?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..