Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 07:53   #1
Senior Member+

Dead ants ????

I got up this morning, went in the kitchen and though "oh great, whats the dog been at" as there were loads of little black things on the floor near the back door. I just thought it was something the dog had been at, like maybe a t-bag or whatever but on closer inspection these were infact 100's (and that is no exageration) of dead ants. Now i know ive complained about an ant problem before but these were all live, does anyone have an explanation as to why my kitchen floor turned into an ant graveyard over night?? Im quite confused by it. Any one any ideas????
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2011, 17:18   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Dead ants ????

I think it may be the result after a "swarm". Winged ants fly off to form new colonies & the old workers die off, that's just my assumption though, really you'd need to look at some wildlife/nature sites to get a better insight.
Old 05-08-2011, 17:19   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I think it may be the result after a "swarm". Winged ants fly off to form new colonies & the old workers die off, that's just my assumption though, really you'd need to look at some wildlife/nature sites to get a better insight.
I'd prefer it if they didnt choose my kitchen to die off in though there was hundreds, it wasnt nice lol x
Old 05-08-2011, 17:50   #4
God Member

Those winged ants are horrible, they are everywhere at the moment, everywhere you go they are in your face and all over the ground
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 18:17   #5
Give, give, give member

As my old Granny used to say...

Dead ants in t'mornin', means new pants, and moaning.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 18:20   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Those winged ants are horrible, they are everywhere at the moment, everywhere you go they are in your face and all over the ground
Are you sure you're washing off properly, that new sugar body rub I bought you?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 18:45   #7
Senior Member+

Well just cleaned another 50+ from my kitchen floor, even caught 2 larger live ones bringing out their dead, not impressed lol. Ive been here almost 4 years and not had this happen before
Old 05-08-2011, 18:49   #8
God Member

Ring the council Em, tell them you have the boys and you are worried they might put them in their mouths (i know they wouldn't but the council don't know that) thhey might send some sort of exterminater round
Old 05-08-2011, 18:52   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Ring the council Em, tell them you have the boys and you are worried they might put them in their mouths (i know they wouldn't but the council don't know that) thhey might send some sort of exterminater round
Environmental health arnt open until monday morning. Twice ive bleached my floor now its making me itch lol not good x
Old 05-08-2011, 19:02   #10
God Member

It would appear that you lot know less about the life cycle and breeding habits of British ants than the Accy Observer knows about the indigenous squirrel population. On page 27 of this weeks edition- the pull-out, titled ''Its all yours', - has a piccy of a squirrel in someone's back garden. The AO - in all it's majestic wisdom - describes this as a Red Squirrel.

Even someone with the brain of a dead ant would know that a) there ain't no red squirrels within 35 miles of Accy and b) the picture is of course, of a Grey Squirrel.

Just how much worse is this newspaper going to get?

Last edited by Tealeaf; 05-08-2011 at 19:04.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 19:35   #11
God Member

And the point of that childish outburst was what teabag?
It was neither constructive nor relevant
Old 05-08-2011, 20:04   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
It would appear that you lot know less about the life cycle and breeding habits of British ants than the Accy Observer knows about the indigenous squirrel population. On page 27 of this weeks edition- the pull-out, titled ''Its all yours', - has a piccy of a squirrel in someone's back garden. The AO - in all it's majestic wisdom - describes this as a Red Squirrel.

Even someone with the brain of a dead ant would know that a) there ain't no red squirrels within 35 miles of Accy and b) the picture is of course, of a Grey Squirrel.

Just how much worse is this newspaper going to get?
Obviously i know very little about the breeding habbits of british ants, have openly admitted that by asking for advice / explanation on a public forum. Its not something that was part of the national curriculum when I was at school and cant say its something that I have studied since. If you dont ask you never know, right??????
Old 05-08-2011, 20:09   #13
God Member

Ignore him Em, he's an obnoxious little runt whose only aim in life is to attempt to wind people up, he's full of hot air
Old 05-08-2011, 20:32   #14
God Member

Quote:
And the point of that childish outburst was what teabag?
It was neither constructive nor relevant
The point, Ms Flashy, was in answer to the final sentance in the very first post in this thread - 'Any one any ideas?'

It is pretty obvious that few people who subscribe to this website and probably even fewer who write for the local rag know little about the wonderful world of nature. Given that Accy Web is probably represenative of the local populace, then there's more than one who claim to be cat lovers on here ( personally I'd string that lot up) and there's even a few who claim to be dog lovers - although after what happened at the local RSPCA centre a few days ago, that's got to be a joke.

So then:

a) Go elsewhere for advice on your ant investation.

b) And certainly don't bother with the AO about animals and insects.

Could I respectfully suggest you now depart ASAP to Wetherspoons for your friday night ration of alcopops and then, after a good sleep-in, come back on here tomorrow afternoon in the cold light of day?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 21:11   #15
God Member

he has proved me right....full of hot air

thankyou ever so much teabag, now i'm sure it's past your bedtime, don't forget to have a wee before you settle down for the night, wouldn't want your carer to have to clear up any little accidents that happen during the night

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..