Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 12:11   #1
God Member

Coeliacs disease

Does anyone know what tests they do for coeliacs? For the last few years i've had really bad acid from eating porridge, white bread, pastry, weetabix, shreddies and pasta and lately cola, lager and leeks have had the same effect, the acid gets that bad that i'm never off the toilet, my dad said it could be coeliacs disease, i'm finally off to the docs this aft after putting it off for so long (yes i know before anyone shouts at me)....how do they test for it?
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2011, 12:18   #2
God Member

Re: Coeliacs disease

I think they can tell mostly through blood tests -my best friend was diagnosed about 2 years ago. She went into hospital for a day though and had a whole range of tests done to exclude other possibilities too, such as aci-reflux or even IBS. If you tend to be anaemic that can be an indicator too.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:30   #3
God Member

Someone also said it could be an ulcer, whatever it is i wish it would sod off, i'm in agony and very piggin tired
Old 09-11-2011, 12:38   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Someone also said it could be an ulcer, whatever it is i wish it would sod off, i'm in agony and very piggin tired
Tiredness is another common symptom of Coeliac's too -but as they say "don't put the cart before the horses" it could be something minor and less life-changing!

Jaysay's lady is very "genned up" on Coeliacs if it does turn out to be that by the way.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 13:00   #5
Resting in Peace

Coeliac Disease - NHS Choices

Have a read.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 13:03   #6
Beacon of light

Coeliac disease is an intolerance to the gluten in Wheat.
They used to do a biopsy to confirm a diagnosis......now I think they do some bloodtests to screen for antibodies - they also check for anaemia.
If the tests come back positive then they may do a jejunal biopsy to confirm it.
I hope this helps a bit.
You do definitely need a visit to see the doc Shaz.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 13:17   #7
God Member

I once bought a home test kit from Boots online
Biotech Biocard Celiac Test - Boots
It involve pricking a finger and taking a blood sample into a tiny tube.
I imagine your doc will use a syringe and take more - but at least it will be free

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 15:57   #8
God Member

The doc thinks its acid reflux and has given me a 2 month supply of omeprazole....again, if its not right after 2 month she said something about sending me to hospital for tests
Old 09-11-2011, 19:15   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Tiredness is another common symptom of Coeliac's too -but as they say "don't put the cart before the horses" it could be something minor and less life-changing!

Jaysay's lady is very "genned up" on Coeliacs if it does turn out to be that by the way.
Joan is the organising Secretary for Coeliac UK Manchester Branch, infact she was in Newcastle attending a conferance for Warburtons last night
Old 09-11-2011, 19:43   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
The doc thinks its acid reflux and has given me a 2 month supply of omeprazole....again, if its not right after 2 month she said something about sending me to hospital for tests
There Is nothing like a bit optimism.

Joking apart I take them to counter act the painkillers I take for the Arthritis.

No problems as yet.Will keep you posted.

Old 09-11-2011, 20:00   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
There Is nothing like a bit optimism.

Joking apart I take them to counter act the painkillers I take for the Arthritis.

No problems as yet.Will keep you posted.
I've been on them for about 12 years Beni, to counteract Tabs which play havoc with your guts
Old 09-11-2011, 20:25   #12
God Member

Years ago, when I trusted doctors, I was prescibed Losec which is the same proton pump inhibitor under a different name.
I had had a gastroscopy?(camera down the throat) and a hiatus hernia was found to be the cause of acid reflux.

I didn't take Losec for long because I got bad headaches. If you look at the side effects, they can be as bad as what you are trying to cure.

I did spend a few years taking high strength Ranitidine (Zantak). I regret that too because it affected my ability to absorb nutrients from food, so just caused a gradual slow decline into poor health.

If you have identified foods that have bad effects on you, it is safer to just avoid eating them, rather than take a drug.

I suppose I must still have a hiatus hernia but I rarely get heartburn now unless I east pastry and onions, so I have bicarbonate of soda ready when I do.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 20:48   #13
mez
God Member

i was on omerprazole for about 4yrs stopped a few of my meds with doc's permission now if i get acid reflux i eat an apple, yes it works, but i do have an intolerance to some foods which is the cause of my i.b.s & diverticulitis... but have learnt to cope with them both.
Old 09-11-2011, 20:51   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've been on them for about 12 years Beni, to counteract Tabs which play havoc with your guts
I was trying to be helpful.

Old 09-11-2011, 21:11   #15
God Member

they gave me omeprazole a few years ago for my constant bloating and tummy cramps, they worked

Margaret, you say you get acid from onions, i made some leek and potato soup this morning...it was intended to be eaten for dinner tonight, i had a spoonful to see if it tasted ok and almost immediately the acid started, i had to throw it all away, i had 2 tiny pieces of warburtons bread at my friends yesterday, within minutes of eating it i was doubled over in agony

i'm just going to have to avoid foods that start it off, i write them down each time it happens

this living thing is rather complicated isn't it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..