Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2011, 21:47   #1

Memorial at Oak Hill Park 13.11.11

I went to the memorial at Oak Hill Park today, I must say I have never seen so many people as today and I have been going for a number of years. I noticed a gentleman & possibly a lady as well filming, does anyone know which tv stations they were from, as there was nothing shown on the local BBC or Granada news at tea time?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1923.jpg (501.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1924.jpg (496.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1933.jpg (449.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1943.jpg (322.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1945.jpg (483.3 KB, 21 views)
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2011, 22:34   #2

Memorial at Oak Hill Park 13.11.11

Few more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1985.jpg (466.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1987.jpg (494.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1988.jpg (483.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 13-11-2011, 22:40   #3
Beacon of light

Re: Memorial at Oak Hill Park 13.11.11

Wallop I can't give you the information you asked for.....but I think there has been much more interest in Remembrance Day this year because of the hoo-ha about the England team wearing poppies. There certainly seemed to be more people sporting poppies this year.....so I reckon Fifa did the British Legion a favour.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 23:37   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Wallop I can't give you the information you asked for.....but I think there has been much more interest in Remembrance Day this year because of the hoo-ha about the England team wearing poppies. There certainly seemed to be more people sporting poppies this year.....so I reckon Fifa did the British Legion a favour.
I think its more than that Margaret, I've been contacted by 3 different television producers so far this year, two of them in the last 30 days, all asking for information on the Accrington Pals.
I keep telling them that not only did 125 Pals from Greater Accrington die on July 1st, 96 Greater Accrington men, serving in other regiments were also killed that day
There are 879 names on the WW1 Memorial, in Oak Hill Park. 11 of them are double entries, 13 have spelling mistakes, & there are 83 names missing.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 00:01   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
According to the news the other day,its been a record year fer flogging poppies, whatever the reason it suits me down to the ground.
Old 14-11-2011, 00:04   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
I went to the memorial at Oak Hill Park today, I must say I have never seen so many people as today and I have been going for a number of years. I noticed a gentleman & possibly a lady as well filming, does anyone know which tv stations they were from, as there was nothing shown on the local BBC or Granada news at tea time?
I saw that as well. There was a bloke interviewing someone from the British Legion, and he looked like the historian Michael Wood to me.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 00:10   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I saw that as well. There was a bloke interviewing someone from the British Legion, and he looked like the historian Michael Wood to me.
Theres a member on here of that name n owd mate of mine, somehow doubt very much if it was him.
Old 14-11-2011, 00:14   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Theres a member on here of that name n owd mate of mine, somehow doubt very much if it was him.
Michael Wood's on the telly a lot. Famous historian.
Old 14-11-2011, 00:18   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Michael Wood's on the telly a lot. Famous historian.
I know bernard.
Old 14-11-2011, 00:36   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I know bernard.
I think it was him. Maybe doing something on the Pals. Anyway a good turn out at the cenotaph, which was good to see.
Old 14-11-2011, 08:56   #11
mez
God Member

i was there too i was supporting my grandson who has just joined the a.t.c. this year & it was his first march, i was wearing my dads medals too i had not worn them since the 50th anniversary of v.e. day, i was glad that the turn out was as it was & hopefully will attend next year. my daughter said that the the t. v. people are from channel 4 but there was nothing on their news last night unless its for a documentary i don't know.
Old 14-11-2011, 09:18   #12
mez
God Member

the last time i wore my dads medals as i said was the 50th anniversary of v.e. day & i was then on parade myself with the R.N.X'S. navy version of dads army it was disbanded in the 90's but i wore the medals with pride both times.
Old 14-11-2011, 12:58   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
i was there too i was supporting my grandson who has just joined the a.t.c. this year & it was his first march, i was wearing my dads medals too i had not worn them since the 50th anniversary of v.e. day, i was glad that the turn out was as it was & hopefully will attend next year. my daughter said that the the t. v. people are from channel 4 but there was nothing on their news last night unless its for a documentary i don't know.
I think those TV people, if it was Michael Wood, are from Mayavision, they are one of the companies that
have contacted me recently.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 13:28   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I think those TV people, if it was Michael Wood, are from Mayavision, they are one of the companies that
have contacted me recently.

Retlaw
I suspect you may well be getting a few more enquiries from these production companies, Walter. With the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of WW1 now less than 3 years away, documentary makers will already be in the pre-production stages of the programmes they intend to make - so they'll be doing their background research now.

Until quite recently, both BBC and ITV would have made these programmes in-house. Now, however, they are outsourced to various private companies of which Mayavision is but one. Like any other business, they are there to make a profit so as such you may well wish to consider insisting on a small donation (to such as the RBL) in return for your not inconsiderable assistance in their enterprise.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 13:54   #15

Bumped into the mayor whilst on my way into town & asked her if she knew who the tv crew were, she said the BritishLlegion had organised it & gave me the name of a gentleman at the legion to ask for. Also she said she didn't finish until 2130 last night with all the events at different towns that she attended, big pat on the back to our mayor.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..