Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 18:33   #1

child murder - Lonsdale Street 1967

Does anybody have any knowledge of a child who was murdered while living in Lonsdale Street Accrington in the 1960's

My uncle who is in his 80's mentioned that a girl that was murdered and she may have been my cousin but I didn't want to ask too many questions as I don't know whose daughter she was or the connection to me
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2012, 18:36   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: child murder - Lonsdale Street 1967

Can't remember that un, Probably Library yer best bet, look at the owd newspapers. If yeh can narrow it down to roughly when in 60s, should be front page of accy observer.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:43   #3
Senior Member+

There has been a book on Accrington murders about 5yrs ago. I cannot quickly find details. Have a look on the County Library's catalogue on the web using different keywords. Maybe Hyndburn instead of Acc.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:25   #4

I used to live above the bridge on Lonsdale street in the 60's and clearly remember when walking to Antley Methodists one Sunday morning, one of the grown ups telling me that a murder had happened in one particular house, the night before. I have the impression that it was a domestic that resulted in the husband killing his wife (though this may be a trick of memory) The year would be about right for your incident.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:11   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
I used to live above the bridge on Lonsdale street in the 60's and clearly remember when walking to Antley Methodists one Sunday morning, one of the grown ups telling me that a murder had happened in one particular house, the night before. I have the impression that it was a domestic that resulted in the husband killing his wife (though this may be a trick of memory) The year would be about right for your incident.
I seem to remember n incident on Charter St in the 60s were a bloke i knew killed his missus/partner, perhaps its the same incident? Then again could have been early 70s?

Last edited by cashman; 04-07-2012 at 13:20.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 13:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I seem to remember n incident on Charter St in the 60s were a bloke i knew killed his missus/partner, perhaps its the same incident? Then again could have been early 70s?
This was definitely pre 1970 because we moved up Ossy by October 1969.

Last edited by egg&chips; 04-07-2012 at 13:58. Reason: Mistake
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 14:17   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
This was definitely pre 1970 because we moved up Ossy by October 1969.
Could well be,me memory fer dates aint that great.
Old 04-07-2012, 14:37   #8
Rest in Peace

We had a grocers shop on the corner of Empress St and Princess St in the 1960.My wife has a wonderful memory and can remember a man killing his wife between 1965/1969,he only got six years in prison as it was said to be provocation. The grand parents took the child into their care,they lived on Blackburn Rd at the top of Princes St.My wife remembers the grandfather coming into the shop and saying what a shock,and being disgusted at the sentence. They moved away from the area and a friend of mine who worked at Mosleys and delivered bread to the shop bought the house.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 16:20   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
We had a grocers shop on the corner of Empress St and Princess St in the 1960.My wife has a wonderful memory and can remember a man killing his wife between 1965/1969,he only got six years in prison as it was said to be provocation. The grand parents took the child into their care,they lived on Blackburn Rd at the top of Princes St.My wife remembers the grandfather coming into the shop and saying what a shock,and being disgusted at the sentence. They moved away from the area and a friend of mine who worked at Mosleys and delivered bread to the shop bought the house.
Would that be the guy on Charter St? He only got 6 or 7 yrs then moved away from accy on release, after staying around a short while, he actually moved in wi a very well known lady,shortly after release, then vanished fer many years,i actually bumped into him on Euston Station think that would be sometime in late 80s,
Old 04-07-2012, 16:31   #10
Rest in Peace

We think it could be the same one.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06   #11
Senior Member+

Does the Observer print a resume of the events of the past year in the first issue of the new year - or sometime around there? If so, finding the date and brief details should be easy. The library have a lot of cuttings which are catalogued - may be in there.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:42   #12
mez
God Member

pm sent. mez.
Old 06-07-2012, 19:09   #13

I remember that i knew the girl and her family her husband after killing her went to the Sacred Heart Church and told one of the priest what he had done
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 19:13   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I can remember a girl I used to go to school with being murdered in that area she was called Margarita Morton or something like that, I know it wasn't long after we left school so she would still be quite young
Old 06-07-2012, 19:36   #15

jaysay it was Moulding not Morton
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..