Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-09-2012, 01:13   #1

Anybody else do runs/treks?

I do a longish run once a week and run about 3 miles three to five times a week. I've joined the group on here, don't know how much activity it has though. I take the dog, she's not used to it yet so I am building her fitness level up slowly (she was never taken on walks with her previous owner, she's a rescue)think she's used to being in a yard or just taken around the block for a wee and that's it).

I do the longer ones in various parts of Yorkshire with my Father and Brother-in-Law, the shorter ones I do daily I go just with Kya. I am hoping to do the three peaks soonish.
It keeps me fit and gets me out of concrete canyon where I live. I'm not looking forward to doing it in the colder weather!But I hate it when it's too hot, as well.
I had a shoulder injury from work which I hated, it slowed me down a LOT did that, but I think I'm almost free of it now.
Just wondered am I the only one, and also if anybody does it, can they recommend any walks/runs around Lancashire?

Thanks
SM
Old 25-09-2012, 06:29   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Anybody else do runs/treks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
Just wondered am I the only one, and also if anybody does it, can they recommend any walks/runs around Lancashire?

Thanks
SM
Any track that gets you back over the Pennines..

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 07:35   #3
Senior Member+

I do fell walking, and rough camping, but I have t been out for couple of weeks

Have you seen my videos on YouTube. There is also a thread on here Lancashire 3 peaks
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 09:42   #4

Lol thanks for that Benipete. I am proud to not be from the badlands

I want to do more rough camping. My campervan's in the garage at the moment and may have seen its last legs, once house move is over with I may get a new one or may not.I've seen the three peaks thread- I am hoping to do the three peaks and the Lyke Wake Walk in the next coming year. I've not seen you tube, will have a look. I've just added a couple of pics to my profile (because that's what you do when it's your final two days of moving house isn't it, you faff about on the internet...)
Old 25-09-2012, 09:50   #5
God Member

I suggest that you walk rather than run/jog.

You could be damaging assets that are essential to your livelihood.

http://voices.yahoo.com/study-shows-...718.html?cat=5
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 11:30   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I suggest that you walk rather than run/jog.

You could be damaging assets that are essential to your livelihood.

http://voices.yahoo.com/study-shows-...718.html?cat=5
Seems like you can't win - jogging causes the same effect as being a couch potatoe - men with breasts and women with even lower breasts.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 17:56   #7

Lol I do wear proper clothing
And I don't have large breasts which reduces the risk, as well as the one of getting two black eyes
Old 26-09-2012, 12:09   #8

After many lay offs due to injury, illness, work and family commitments I am now building up my running distance.
Did 6.5miles last night in the cooling rain. Next run Friday.
I will not be satisfied until I can do at least 12 miles, twice a week.

I am a good walker and will not do less than 20miles. This I find I can do without any long term training. For further distances I will build up and would do 30 miles in the time it takes me to do the 20 miles now.
Furthest walked in one go is 100miles in 35 hours. This is an organised event with check points.

Get training as this walk is being held in this part of the country in 2015. possibly starting north of Bury and possibly going up Pendle Hill at around the 50mile mark.
Old 26-09-2012, 18:45   #9
Senior Member+

prefer to do my walking in the summer. Can't stand the cold and the rain. Darwen is a nice walk. Walk through Bold venture park and then up to Darwen Tower. You can see Yorkshire from up there on a nice day and of course there is the coppice
Old 26-09-2012, 20:38   #10
Senior Member+

Our favourite walk with MAX is around turton and Entwistle Reservoir and linking it with Wyoh Reservoir finishing a the Strawberry Duck for a Sandwich and a Pint.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 00:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider61 View Post
After many lay offs due to injury, illness, work and family commitments I am now building up my running distance.
Did 6.5miles last night in the cooling rain. Next run Friday.
I will not be satisfied until I can do at least 12 miles, twice a week.

I am a good walker and will not do less than 20miles. This I find I can do without any long term training. For further distances I will build up and would do 30 miles in the time it takes me to do the 20 miles now.
Furthest walked in one go is 100miles in 35 hours. This is an organised event with check points.

Get training as this walk is being held in this part of the country in 2015. possibly starting north of Bury and possibly going up Pendle Hill at around the 50mile mark.
I am going to have a look at that!Well done on the commitment!
I agree, I prefer to run in rain than when it's sweltering hot, even though it seems worse at first, after I'm warmed up and relaxed into the run I am glad of the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
prefer to do my walking in the summer. Can't stand the cold and the rain. Darwen is a nice walk. Walk through Bold venture park and then up to Darwen Tower. You can see Yorkshire from up there on a nice day and of course there is the coppice
I need to check this out too-all my runs are usually in Yorkshire. Got a log here but it needs updating done a few more since Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Our favourite walk with MAX is around turton and Entwistle Reservoir and linking it with Wyoh Reservoir finishing a the Strawberry Duck for a Sandwich and a Pint.
Strawberry duck what a name! Take it your dog is your namesake-what are collies like as a pet, I've never had one. I had a Collie cross, who was from a feral father and an abandoned mother. Lovely dog, very restless and naughty as a youngster though!
Old 27-09-2012, 08:26   #12
Senior Member+

I too have a collie, and above all other breeds I have had, collie is top for intelligence, and obedience, so easy to train it really is more like asking a friend to do something, mine does have one major flaw, the tv, he paces up and down at certain programmes, and goes mental at adverts, I think its subliminal in adverts so you will take notice of the product.

He can't stand the JML guys voice
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 11:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I usually walk From Ossy to the Strawbury Duck, (note the spelling), with a group of friends at Easter and sometimes Christmas.
It may only be 9 miles but we all need the train back.
Old 27-09-2012, 19:39   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I used to walk all over the place when I was in Accy over Burnley Moors, Hambledon, Whalley etc

Last big trip I had was up to the summit of Pendle some time ago now.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 23:29   #15

If looking to walk with a group why not check out Hyndburn Ramblers
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..