Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-10-2012, 11:16   #1

parking Ticket issued outside the market hall, with a disabled badge?

Hi, Can anyone help please, I have been issued a parking ticket today outside the market hall, I had displayed a disabled permit belonging to my disabled mother who was sat in the car, I had nipped into the market hall for 6 teacakes and 4 peices of bacon I was 4 minutes (I had to set the timer disc and then checked when I got back) There were disabled spaces but taken. Some guy who was there when I got the notice said its a scam?? they can't own land that belongs to the council?? The more annoying fact is that I could have parked on double yellow 10 foot away and displayed the badge, but inside I decided to use a designated space and got penalised. Does anyone know if ive a leg to stand on fine is £100 or £50 for early payment. I can't ring only to pay disputes in writing but then failure of appeal means I will have to pay the £100....I am very upset (actually crying, I know i'm silly) can someone from the council comment also plz??
Old 18-10-2012, 11:21   #2

Re: parking Ticket issued outside the market hall, with a disabled badge?

Just to add i did call the number on the fine, a lady answered said it can be confusing, as it does day permit holders only, she also added that if I has parked in the disabled bays (which were full) I would still have received a ticket as you need to display a permit with the a disabled permit??
Old 18-10-2012, 13:26   #3

I don't know enough to be of any use, other than I think you'll find a way around this by the sounds of it.
Old 18-10-2012, 13:41   #4
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Surely the disabled permit is so the disabled person can go to the shops, not sit in the car whilst an able bodied person goes. I might be wrong on this and if so I apologise in advance.
Gremlin likes this.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 13:48   #5

yes I understand what you are saying, she did at the time want to come but to be honest if she'd of gotten out of the car it would have taken too long. Changed her mind last minute (we were on our way to funeral) she doesn't come out much for this reason (shame really, she feels like a hinderance)
Old 18-10-2012, 13:49   #6

That may be true-but I imagine a ticket inspector would not be able to tell if the person in the car was disabled-nor know whether the absent driver was disabled. As I said I'm no expert, but I don't think this ticket was fair, and I think the OP could probably get around paying it.
Old 18-10-2012, 14:50   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If the parking bay is for permit holders only and you don't have a permit for that bay then it sounds like the ticket was fair. Accrington has loads of disabled parking spaces without you blocking the space needed for people to load and unload things at the market. If its at the side where I am thinking, stall holders can give you a permit so you can collect big/heavy/awkward items from the market.
Old 18-10-2012, 15:43   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylee View Post
Hi, Can anyone help please, I have been issued a parking ticket today outside the market hall, I had displayed a disabled permit belonging to my disabled mother who was sat in the car, I had nipped into the market hall for 6 teacakes and 4 peices of bacon I was 4 minutes (I had to set the timer disc and then checked when I got back) There were disabled spaces but taken. Some guy who was there when I got the notice said its a scam?? they can't own land that belongs to the council?? The more annoying fact is that I could have parked on double yellow 10 foot away and displayed the badge, but inside I decided to use a designated space and got penalised. Does anyone know if ive a leg to stand on fine is £100 or £50 for early payment. I can't ring only to pay disputes in writing but then failure of appeal means I will have to pay the £100....I am very upset (actually crying, I know i'm silly) can someone from the council comment also plz??
I wouldn't hold my breath for a response from any council employee
Yet another victim of unlawfull parking tickets .
firstly don't get upset by these schoolyard bully tactics(if you don't pay then we'll get our big brother(court) to force you to pay) I say challenge it.
Who issued it i assume it was a private company?
Read it carefully see if they've filled it out correctly if you can use a technicality to sort it out it's quicker and less stressful.(remember the burden of proof is on them not you)
My route would be to write No contract return to sender on it and send it back and then blank them (but i'm a 1 man crime wave so ignore that bit lol)

best advice i can give is research,research,research

Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 16:11   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SUI JURIS View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath for a response from any council employee
Yet another victim of unlawfull parking tickets .
firstly don't get upset by these schoolyard bully tactics(if you don't pay then we'll get our big brother(court) to force you to pay) I say challenge it.
Who issued it i assume it was a private company?
I hope hairylee is careful with the information you posted because if its where I think it wont be a private firm it will be the Council wardens which are enforceable by law and ignoring them will likely end you up in court.
Old 18-10-2012, 16:13   #10
Resting in Peace

Lots of motorists have been in trouble with this one, including our MP :

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...all-51522.html

If a private company
, they have no right to take you to court. Like Chris says, they are absolute bullies and the language they use scares people into tipping up immediately.

They have to prove it was you who parked it there. Of course, they know you are the owner of the vehicle ... will pay for the records. Don't sign any correspondence.

This is also extremely good information:

What a State Unlawful Car Parking Charges

I have recently come across them, and they tried to bully me ... however, I was lucky, still had my ticket ... just keyed in my car registration incorrectly.

Best of luck, Hairylee.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 16:32   #11
God Member

It wasn't a disabled bay, it was a permit holders bay, you aren't disabled, unlawful use of badges too so therefore you are in the wrong, you could have parked a hundred yards up the road at the side of what was Mcdonalds with your badges IF your mother had got out the car, it pi$$es me off when people come on here moaning about something that is their own fault
Gremlin and Frank T like this.
Old 18-10-2012, 16:36   #12
Resting in Peace

It is not a disabled issue though, Flashy, just a parking issue.
Old 18-10-2012, 16:48   #13

I didn't get from the OP that it was a permit holder's bay?

I guess because I don't know Accrington as well as most of the members here my bad!If it was, then that's different.

I have argued against unfair parking tickets in the past and won, always private companies though. One of them was £90 straight up, which I was issued between midnight and 4am in a private car park. Ridiculous IMO anyway that's off topic.

I hope the teacakes provided some solace
Old 18-10-2012, 16:53   #14
Resting in Peace

Just a point .... it would be LCC if council owned and the company would be 'Lancashire Parking Services'.

If it is, fear you may have a problem.
Old 18-10-2012, 16:57   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
it wasn't a disabled bay, it was a permit holders bay, you aren't disabled, unlawful use of badges too so therefore you are in the wrong, you could have parked a hundred yards up the road at the side of what was mcdonalds with your badges if your mother had got out the car, it pi$$es me off when people come on here moaning about something that is their own fault

heart of gold you mate
Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..