Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2014, 13:02   #31
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Does anybody still use a CB radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Any of y'all remember this?
Aye, but us Brits do things differently.

Eric and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 20-08-2014, 13:06   #32
Senior Member+

I remember this sad song about a crippled boy-sorry disabled boy.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 13:24   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by putsinker View Post
Try channel 19

thast the dave channel isnt it ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 13:37   #34
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
thast the dave channel isnt it ?
Well Mugger be! I own a channel & know diddly about it?
Old 20-08-2014, 15:18   #35
Senior Member+

I have a ham radio transceiver which will cover the CB bands (receive only) and I have had a listen around, there seems to be a few tipper divers using CB to talk to each other about where they muck need tipping or picking up on building sites. Most of the drivers who work out of the Whinney hill quarry use them.
Old 20-08-2014, 15:23   #36
Senior Member+

What you need is some of these.
Accyexplorer likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 15:26   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I have a ham radio transceiver which will cover the CB bands (receive only) and I have had a listen around, there seems to be a few tipper divers using CB to talk to each other about where they muck need tipping or picking up on building sites. Most of the drivers who work out of the Whinney hill quarry use them.
To be honest G, I've had enough of the ruddy thing already.
I've had it scanning all 40 channels and stuck on 19 and still not a peep except this morning when I briefly heard someone mutter about a truck.
I've not heard anything else all morning, maybe I need a roof aerial for better a signal, doubt I'll get one though

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Old 20-08-2014, 17:56   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Hand helds are always poor because of the aerials compare to car or house installs.
Are you sure you have it set to the right setting for UK? Should say UK on display. Select 19 and just leave it and see if you hear anyone after a while. When scanning it might miss transmissions. Here is a link to the manual if you don't have it http://www.midlandeurope.com/downloa...n-42-multi.pdf
Old 20-08-2014, 19:00   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Hand helds are always poor because of the aerials compare to car or house installs.
Are you sure you have it set to the right setting for UK? Should say UK on display. Select 19 and just leave it and see if you hear anyone after a while. When scanning it might miss transmissions. Here is a link to the manual if you don't have it http://www.midlandeurope.com/downloa...n-42-multi.pdf
I've printed a copy of that manual Neil, cheers.
I've had enough of it, I've had it connected to that "magmount" and still sod all and I'm not buying a aerial for the roof so I might pick 1-2 folk up....

..... (like yourself) I may just put it away till we experience civil unrest,at least I know you'll be out there someplace and possibly accyman too

password--Accyweb
Old 21-08-2014, 08:55   #40
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Oh yeah because you'll be safe then talking to us 2 idiots
Old 21-08-2014, 09:55   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Good point, eBay it is

password--Accyweb
Old 21-08-2014, 10:28   #42
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Years since I used CB, however for those of you that would like something similar on your smartphone, there's an app for all types, try this:-
Zello. Live conversations.

You can set up your own group, password protected, use it as a walkie talkie at work or just contact complete strangers in your area.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:26   #43
Junior Member+

Yeah, I use them, they work very well
Old 22-08-2014, 11:27   #44
God Member

Quote:

hey if we need anyone to step outside and test for radiation he could come in handy coz his cb is mobile
Stevie R and Accyexplorer like this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 13:24   #45

You will usually find someone called Stanley (I think) on in the evenings (9:30) having a waffle with some friends, he's in accy.

Your areal needs to be outside to work best but inside on a lot of metal (the fridge) may work well too however before transmitting the aerial really needs tuning to get the SWR down otherwise using it will give you both a poor outgoing signal and may blow the output stage.

There is still a community of cb'rs albeit very small, they tend to collect the radios for old times sake etc. The prices going on ebay are ridiculous and fradios are often re listed.

When the SHTF and mobile phones won't work, hell freezes over and planning laws are opened up then Cb might come back.
Until then its only us old wannabebackinthe80's-ers that will use it.

Or the local mosques to call people to prayer although they tend to use VHF\UHF radios instead.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..