Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 18:52   #1

Shall I take this further or cut losses?

This Wednesday just gone, I was a bit of a dullard and gave Kya (my dog) the opportunity to lock my car keys, in my car boot. I'd been to the shops, left her in the car, when I returned I opened the boot, put my handbag in it, reached down to pick up my shopping and SLAM she had put her paws up onto the parcel shelf (excited to see me, I had been gone a good twenty minutes) and shut the boot.

I had already paid for the car park so I went downstairs and told the car park attendants what had happened hence I couldn't leave the car park-the automated system only gives you 15 minutes once you've paid, to leave the car park before you get charged again.

All three guys came up to see if they could help, I had left the back window open for Kya anyway so they thought they may be able to open the handle from the inside for me but they couldn't. They tried a couple of different ways then I said it was okay, I had key cover and would ring the insurance company. The attendants let me sit in their office whilst I made 'phone calls.
The whole thing took a long time,I had to call people to get the telephone number for the insurance etc before I could call them, then I was on hold, then I had to ring a different number..

Anyway in time, one of the attendants came down to the office and told me he'd managed to get into my car, through the driver door-so if I could get into the boot from the inside of the car, I was sorted. I was SO pleased, I felt so stupid for managing to get locked out of my car and was so glad I didn't have to go through the rigmarole or expense of insurance.
I thanked him (a lot!) gave him £10 (was all I had in my purse) and drove away.

Didn't use my car again until the following evening, aaaaaaand my SatNav's missing.

He must have taken it. I always keep it in the car, in the same hiding place. I've turned the car upside down, Neill (partner) has taken the car apart trying to ensure it's not fallen down or got stuck somewhere or anything.It's not there, was definitely there before Wednesday, and nobody else has been in my car.

Question-what should I do? Go back to the carpark and tell the manager? Tell the police? Or nothing-it's not the end of the world, it wasn't a state of the art SatNav, I've had it a while. If he's stolen it wanting to sell it or something I reckon he'll get £50 maximum. Which actually annoys me even more lol

Logically, I didn't give him permission to break into my car the way he did, either but I was glad he managed it. He hasn't damaged my car at all.

Feel free to extract the urine, have a snicker at my misfortune/blonde moment.
Old 02-12-2012, 19:01   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Shall I take this further or cut losses?

Its a bitch, but personally if twas me, i would call it a draw n forget it.
Old 02-12-2012, 19:21   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

So this guy unlocks your car and comes to get you, I presume leaving the car unlocked?
In which case an opportunist thief could have taken your sat nav, it seems unlikely to me that the guy helping you would have taken it, I could be wrong but lets face it he is there everyday easy to trace and knows it.
So why not go back to the store and ask if they have surveillance in the car park that covered where your car was? It may show who the culprit is.

Last edited by Less; 02-12-2012 at 19:25.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 19:31   #4
Senior Member+

I agree with cashman. It's possible someone saw him trying to get in your car, open it then rush off to tell you. Ideal opportunity, in, quick search and away.
It would be awful to accuse him without proof and be wrong and he probably saved you having your insurance go up for the next few years.
No snickering, just bad luck, happens to all of us.

Edit- Just realised Less beat me to it and he's come up with a good idea.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 20:09   #5
Senior Member+

Lesson learnt. Keep your car keys on your person all the time or carry a spare set
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 20:12   #6
Beacon of light

I would go with what Less suggested.

Lifes lessons always come at a cost. If you don't get the satnav back, that will be the cost...but I bet you don't do it again.
Spare keys are a great idea too MTC.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 19:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So this guy unlocks your car and comes to get you, I presume leaving the car unlocked?
In which case an opportunist thief could have taken your sat nav, it seems unlikely to me that the guy helping you would have taken it, I could be wrong but lets face it he is there everyday easy to trace and knows it.
So why not go back to the store and ask if they have surveillance in the car park that covered where your car was? It may show who the culprit is.
You could be correct, I hope you are.... It's not quite as likely as may seem though, I wasn't in a store-it was a multistory car park but a well-lit one and was 7pm by the time I got home, so quite late on. Three car-parking attendants and I didn't see anybody else the whole time I was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I agree with cashman. It's possible someone saw him trying to get in your car, open it then rush off to tell you. Ideal opportunity, in, quick search and away.
It would be awful to accuse him without proof and be wrong and he probably saved you having your insurance go up for the next few years.
No snickering, just bad luck, happens to all of us.

Edit- Just realised Less beat me to it and he's come up with a good idea.
I do hope you're right-that sits much better with me than does the reasoning that this man who was helping me, was actually not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Lesson learnt. Keep your car keys on your person all the time or carry a spare set
I do need to get a spare set. And to get into the habit of leaving them in the lock if I open the boot with my daft wolf in the car!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I would go with what Less suggested.

Lifes lessons always come at a cost. If you don't get the satnav back, that will be the cost...but I bet you don't do it again.
Spare keys are a great idea too MTC.
I'll get somebody to get me one for xmas.

Thanks for the replies everybody!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 19:58   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Just take some consolation in the fact, we've all done dumb things in life, so yeh aint on yer own.,
Old 03-12-2012, 20:16   #9

To be fair, I've done PLENTY of things dumber than this one!
Old 03-12-2012, 20:17   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
To be fair, I've done PLENTY of things dumber than this one!
Are you a dumb blonde?
Old 03-12-2012, 20:26   #11

I dye my hair dark for a reason!
Old 03-12-2012, 20:28   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
I dye my hair dark for a reason!
so you are a dumb blonde to put it nicely .No offence meant
Old 03-12-2012, 20:41   #13

Yes, then!None taken
(My natural colour is coming through in my profile picture, if you want 'proof' lol)!

This may be a blessing in disguise-if I am without Sat Nav for a bit, I may actually get to know my way around without one , imagine that!
Old 03-12-2012, 20:43   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes, then!None taken
(My natural colour is coming through in my profile picture, if you want 'proof' lol)!

This may be a blessing in disguise-if I am without Sat Nav for a bit, I may actually get to know my way around without one , imagine that!
Have you tried maps.My wife used to be good at map reading.When I used to ask her how far are we off the answer would be half an inch on the red road
Old 03-12-2012, 20:46   #15

Haha
Yes, I drive about a fair bit really and I've not always had a SatNav, used to just use an A-Z or googlemap my route.
They do save a lot of time and stop you getting lost if you DO take a wrong turn or something, I feel safer with one-but if I do go anywhere I'm unfamiliar with in the near future, I'll survive

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..