Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2013, 01:52   #1
I am Banned

Cool Is This The Best Quote Ever or...?

Hope you find this interesting, I do. Well, being a bit careful with money as you have to be these days I waited until the new year was well and truly underway before grabbing a diary cheap at my local charity store. So I missed out on January, well that's not saying much really, is it? It's a nice little diary, well quite small really and cost a quid. But the thing that's really interesting is the quotation emblazoned across its cover. I bet you are going to tell me that you know it and that everybody knows and where have I been all this time anyway. Never mind, here it is.
"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth."

And this is by one William W. Purkey which I didn't believe at first until I Googled him and yes he really exists.
Tesco Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-02-2013, 16:53   #2

Re: Is This The Best Quote Ever or...?

It is a brilliant quote-and I'm a fan of quotes. I kind of preferred the changed version with 'Make Love like You have an Audience' though, too

I actually had this quote cross-stitched and framed in my old house lol It is inspirational.
Eric likes this.
Old 27-02-2013, 17:33   #3
God Member

I believe that everyone ... well anyone who thinks ... has a favorite quote. So, I can't agree that it is the "best" quote.
Restless and susie123 like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 17:56   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I believe that everyone ... well anyone who thinks ... has a favorite quote. So, I can't agree that it is the "best" quote.
Can go along with that, there's several that come to mind depending on the situation or occasion.
Old 27-02-2013, 18:04   #5
Resting in Peace

I've a book full of quotes, from Kennedy to Shakespeare, its like pick and mix
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:38   #6
Full Member+

"If we moved in next door, your lawn would die." Lemmy - Motorhead.
Sunflower49 likes this.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 00:05   #7

Metallers have the best quotes sometimes!
Steve Tyler too 'Life's a Journey, not a destination'.. My best friend has tattooed on her arm. 'The things that come to those who wait may have been left there by those who got there first'. I love that one-always been a bit of a go-getter myself.

I also like; 'If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right'. By Henry Ford. I'm a firm believer in the Law of Attraction. And Walt Disney-if you can dream it, you can do it'.
Old 28-02-2013, 00:33   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Can go along with that, there's several that come to mind depending on the situation or occasion.
One of my favorites for some situations is in French; I won't bother with the translation, 'cause like a lot of Canadians, I'm bi It comes from a military man; so, you might appreciate it: "Nous sommes dans un pot de chambre et nous y serons emmerdes". (Gen. Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot). Hey ... just googled it; got it right in one. I first came across this in Tuchman's "Guns of August"; and for some reason, I've never forgotten it. Strange how the memory works.
Old 28-02-2013, 00:45   #9

Nice! I used to have 'We're all (bleep)'d. It helps to remember this. As my signature but I try to be a bit more positive nowadays
Old 28-02-2013, 02:50   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
Nice! I used to have 'We're all (bleep)'d. It helps to remember this. As my signature but I try to be a bit more positive nowadays
Might as well be positive ... even if there isn't a bright side, there is always one less dark than the others
Old 28-02-2013, 03:02   #11
God Member

I like sifting through quotes when I've nothing better to do ... even when I have something better I should be doing. I was reading some Churchillian quotes once. Anyone who loves the English language, and there is none richer, must read Churchill. Lost amongst the popular gems was one I'd paid little attention to. It didn't have the defiant stridency, the humour, the scathing, scorching Juvenalian satire; but it has become one of my favs: "We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us."
davemac likes this.
Old 28-02-2013, 06:26   #12

A different slant on an old saying:

A rolling stone needs no pushing.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 06:27   #13

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick, we're flexible like that. (and ain't that the truth!)
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 13:19   #14
Senior Member+

Not really Churchillian but a line from 'The Living Years' I like-
'You can listen as well as you hear'.

If only we did.
Boeing Guy likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:25   #15
JFT96

Cry havoc and let slip the Dogs of War, William Shakespere
And
Gratitude is a disease of Dogs, joe Stalin.
Finally
You have enemy's? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

(Thread wander, Gordon, I say Paul Carrack on Sunday night (the singer of Living Years) and he was superb)

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Boeing Guy; 05-03-2013 at 08:28.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..