Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-04-2013, 18:39   #16

Re: bacigalupo,?

Seem to recall an individual by that name who had something to do with 7 a side leagues at the sports centre, also that his partner was drop dead gorgeous.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-04-2013, 19:26   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Remember as a lad brothers Basigalupo opening a men's barbers in Whalley Rd top of Canal St Clayton-le- Moors
I remember that ... first place I went for a real haircut

Later, when I lved on Rishton Rd., I went to a place on Lower Barnes St., close to the Forts ... can't remember the name of the barber tho'.

A while back, I mentioned the name, "Bacigalupo" to an Italian bud of mine. He said that name was most common in Southern Italy, especially Naples.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 19:39   #18

i think he cut my hair a couple of times, i remember he had an excellent name in the hairdressing trade, every one who used him spoke well of him, i know i used to come down from ossy,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 19:44   #19
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I remember that ... first place I went for a real haircut

Later, when I lved on Rishton Rd., I went to a place on Lower Barnes St., close to the Forts ... can't remember the name of the barber tho'.

A while back, I mentioned the name, "Bacigalupo" to an Italian bud of mine. He said that name was most common in Southern Italy, especially Naples.
I have a feeling he was called Danny, kept men's requisites top shelf.
Remember Jack Thornton half way up Barnes St, always cricket on the radio when you went in.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 20:42   #20
God Member

Quote:
I have a feeling he was called Danny, kept men's requisites top shelf.
Remember Jack Thornton half way up Barnes St, always cricket on the radio when you went in.
I remember Jack Thornton. I used to live just around the corner on Queen St.. What was the name of that bakery kitty corner to Jack's shop? They made damn fine pies
Old 15-04-2013, 22:01   #21

i think the old saying was,,"anything for the weekend sir", they was the main agents for condoms,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 22:18   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloot View Post
i think the old saying was,,"anything for the weekend sir", they was the main agents for condoms,
You mean something like this:

Old 16-04-2013, 12:12   #23
Rest in Peace

Quote:
I remember Jack Thornton. I used to live just around the corner on Queen St.. What was the name of that bakery kitty corner to Jack's shop? They made damn fine pies
All changed to houses now, and no I can't remember the name I do remember her making extra large pink meringue's with loads of fresh cream in them. Do you remember the girl who became a top class archer from around there.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 15:45   #24
God Member

Quote:
All changed to houses now, and no I can't remember the name I do remember her making extra large pink meringue's with loads of fresh cream in them. Do you remember the girl who became a top class archer from around there.
No ... doesn't ring a bell. I moved out of Queen St. after my parents divorced and stayed with my grandad on Rishton Rd. I think I was five at the time.
Old 16-04-2013, 15:59   #25
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Well you've introduced me to a new expression there Eric. Never heard "kitty corner" before, had to look it up.

PS I see my very erudite and obvious post above has been deleted. No surprises there then. But thanks for the like anyway - I still got that!
Old 16-04-2013, 16:14   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well you've introduced me to a new expression there Eric. Never heard "kitty corner" before, had to look it up.

PS I see my very erudite and obvious post above has been deleted. No surprises there then. But thanks for the like anyway - I still got that!
You should have gone with "Richard cranium"

Sometimes North American expressions slip into my posts ... Just habit ... "Kitty corner" is quite a normal way of giving directions over here ... a lot simpler than saying "on the other side of the street at a diagonal across the intersection" (pronounced "innersection", of course)
Old 16-04-2013, 16:20   #27
JCB

Jack Thornton R.I.P.

Tributes to Hyndburn's singing barber (From Lancashire Telegraph)
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 16:32   #28
God Member

R.I.P. Jack ...
Old 16-04-2013, 18:27   #29
Resting In Peace

Quote:
You should have gone with "Richard cranium"

Sometimes North American expressions slip into my posts ... Just habit ... "Kitty corner" is quite a normal way of giving directions over here ... a lot simpler than saying "on the other side of the street at a diagonal across the intersection" (pronounced "innersection", of course)
Funny that we don't use it in UK as it's supposed to derive from Middle English...

Catty-corner, kitty-corner - Grammarist

As for Mr RC alias Mr DH - well it was after midnight and I'm a bit high on steroids...
Old 16-04-2013, 19:50   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
. Do you remember the girl who became a top class archer from around there.
Barbara Feilding I think..she ran with Accy Roadrunners in her later years.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..