Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2013, 14:59   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings

If it,s the 80th anniversary this year Irene then Rhyddings has been around since 1933, maybe not in the same building, but I think you may be getting The Tech and Rhyddings mixed up. The tech had a couple rooms at Moor End during the 50s prior to the amalgamation. Re Dave Lloyd and Jack Simmons, Dave 1957-62, Jack 1953-58, I was there 55-60.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-05-2013, 15:04   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thats correct, i started 1st yr at moor end, think twas Mr Ogilvie (Oggy) That would be in 59.
Old 19-05-2013, 15:29   #33
Senior Member+

My first year at the Tech was at Moor End 1955, teacher Mr Roberts. Other teachers not mentioned Mr Waterhouse, Mr O'Hare and Mr Gregg. I remember O'Hare had a bamboo cane about 4ft long and 3/4 diam., he used to touch the floor behind him to start his swing and you heard the rush of air as it came over his head, happy days??
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 15:35   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Waterhouse rings a bell,what did he teach? was it tech drawing?
Old 19-05-2013, 15:47   #35
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Waterhouse rings a bell,what did he teach? was it tech drawing?
Think so Mr C
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 17:09   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It changed from boys only irene wi the amalgamation wi Rhyddings, they sent the brightest pupils from yon down to the Tech n some were obviously girls, which was quite pleasing to us, as my class got a couple of crackers.
Um Brightest pupils, how come you managed to go there in the first place
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 17:15   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
If it,s the 80th anniversary this year Irene then Rhyddings has been around since 1933, maybe not in the same building, but I think you may be getting The Tech and Rhyddings mixed up. The tech had a couple rooms at Moor End during the 50s prior to the amalgamation. Re Dave Lloyd and Jack Simmons, Dave 1957-62, Jack 1953-58, I was there 55-60.
When I was at Ossy St Mary's in the 50s we had woodwork lessons, for a while we went to Peel Park, then to Moor End, which was great for me as I always wanted to be a joiner, of course when the Holy Family opened in 59, woodwork was on the curriculum as was metal work, the woodwork teacher was Tony Hughes brother of the undertaker Leo Hughse, the metal work teacher was Bob Almond who still lives at the top of New Lane in Ossy
Old 19-05-2013, 17:24   #38
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Because they were compeled by law to take on a couple of dimwits.
So guess who qualified.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 17:28   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Because they were compeled by law to take on a couple of dimwits.
So guess who qualified.
When were you there Walter making up the quota
Old 19-05-2013, 18:04   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I should actually have gone the Grammar School,But fer the daft education board. cos ive always been a clever beggar, or so they say.
Old 19-05-2013, 19:48   #41
I am Banned

Quote:
When were you there Walter making up the quota
No I turned it down, left the space for you, your need was greater than mine.
Old 19-05-2013, 19:50   #42
I am Banned

Quote:
I should actually have gone the Grammar School,But fer the daft education board. cos ive always been a clever beggar, or so they say.
And who says that beside you.
Clever buggar I'll agree with but nowt else.
Old 19-05-2013, 19:56   #43
I am Banned

Quote:
Back in the day we had a form to fill in 1st and 2nd choice which school you wanted to go to if you passed your 11+. (At Peel Park anyway)

I at that time wanted to join the navy as an engineer and discussions with my parents, etc decided the Tech was the best route. Never joined the navy but absolutely no complaints about the foundations Accy Tech gave me for my career paths
Old 20-05-2013, 04:23   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
If what you say is correct, in what year, and why, did the Junior Technical School move out of the building across from the Palladium, and go to Moorend. What was the reason for the amalgamation, when they were two different types of schools, when initially, one would have had to pass a exam to go from Rhyddings to the Tech. This he does know was the case. Was Rhyddings school in Rhyddings Street before amalgamation. These are the questions my husband would like answered.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 08:00   #45
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
If what you say is correct, in what year, and why, did the Junior Technical School move out of the building across from the Palladium, and go to Moorend. What was the reason for the amalgamation, when they were two different types of schools, when initially, one would have had to pass a exam to go from Rhyddings to the Tech. This he does know was the case. Was Rhyddings school in Rhyddings Street before amalgamation. These are the questions my husband would like answered.
In my time Irene the Tech had an annexe up at Moor End, a couple of 1st forms as the overspill to the Union Road Building. The amalgamation I think was due to the Education Board of the time phasing out Technical Schools, maybe this was the start of our shrinking skill base as seen in industry today?
Rhyddings School was always on Haworth Street in Ossy, never on Rhyddings Street and Cashman may confirm if Rhyddings did move up to Moor End was it maybe just those Tech 1st forms coming under Rhyddings admin' etc?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..