Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2013, 09:30   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
I may be getting a bit mixed up here Jaysay with the boys name but his girl who was the eldest was definitly called Pauline, and i seem to think she went to Paddock House The house they lived in was was once his wifes ( Sheila Malone ) parents. Her father was a joiner like Tom.
Ya Tom was a joiner so it is the same family, but Chris is quite famous in the snooker world
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2013, 09:33   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya Tom was a joiner so it is the same family, but Chris is quite famous in the snooker world
We only knew him when he was small. Tony Sowden was a friend of John's
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 09:40   #78
Resting in Peace

Quote:
We only knew him when he was small. Tony Sowden was a friend of John's
Think that was Terry Irene
Old 21-05-2013, 09:51   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think that was Terry Irene

Tony Sowden won The Observer cup now lives near Blackpool. Get a Christmas card from him ever year
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 09:59   #80
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Tony Sowden won The Observer cup now lives near Blackpool. Get a Christmas card from him ever year
Sorry Irene, I was thinking of Terry Southam, also a mate of John, he lives near Jen at Rising Bridge, still walks to mass every Sunday morning come hail snow or sun, he must be well into his 70s now
Old 03-12-2014, 14:58   #81

Hi all,
... I've just come across this thread from May 2013 - So apologies for a being a tad late to the chat!

I'm Duncan Ion.
I was a pupil at Moorend school in 1962, moving to Rhyddings Main school for the second and (possibly) third year.
I then went to the Technical School school for the fourth and fifth year (I was in 5X, I seem to recall that 5A did physics and English Literature).
Mr. Smith was the English Language Teacher.
Left in 1967 to join the Royal Navy as an electronics technician.
============
Later in the same thread (amazingly), the subject turned to the Duffys of Park Road. I lived next door! on Blackburn Road. Pat Duffy [eldest son] was my 'blood brother' ! (small nick of blood on each others' hand )
Pat has run his own car repair business (up on Whalley Road, I think), for many years.
The Duffys were a reasonably large family. Mrs Duffy is still with us, I believe. Lovely lady.
[All this is at some distance, as I live in North Wales]
The 'vacant lot' across from Pat Duffy had, I recall, a printers company in the building at the back. I believe it's now a play area.
=====
Returning to the fifth form of 1967, I would love to be able to get hold of a class photo of that year. I seem to recall seeing one of 5A, but not 5X... Any idea where I might enquire to get that?

regards to all,
Duncan.
thectosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 15:12   #82
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Hi dunc was talking to your Malc a couple of weeks back.
Old 03-12-2014, 15:18   #83
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thectosian View Post
Hi all,
... I've just come across this thread from May 2013 - So apologies for a being a tad late to the chat!

I'm Duncan Ion.
I was a pupil at Moorend school in 1962, moving to Rhyddings Main school for the second and (possibly) third year.
I then went to the Technical School school for the fourth and fifth year (I was in 5X, I seem to recall that 5A did physics and English Literature).
Mr. Smith was the English Language Teacher.
Left in 1967 to join the Royal Navy as an electronics technician.
============
Later in the same thread (amazingly), the subject turned to the Duffys of Park Road. I lived next door! on Blackburn Road. Pat Duffy [eldest son] was my 'blood brother' ! (small nick of blood on each others' hand )
Pat has run his own car repair business (up on Whalley Road, I think), for many years.
The Duffys were a reasonably large family. Mrs Duffy is still with us, I believe. Lovely lady.
[All this is at some distance, as I live in North Wales]
The 'vacant lot' across from Pat Duffy had, I recall, a printers company in the building at the back. I believe it's now a play area.
=====
Returning to the fifth form of 1967, I would love to be able to get hold of a class photo of that year. I seem to recall seeing one of 5A, but not 5X... Any idea where I might enquire to get that?

regards to all,
Duncan.
Cashman and myself were 4 or 5 years ahead of you at the "Tech" Duncan

Pat Duffy still has a Car Body shop up near the Greyhound in Clayton "Hyndburn Autos" he will be repairing the rear bumperand wing of my VW in the next week or so. ouch !!)
mea culpa
Liam his brother is still connected with youth football I think, was involved managing Enfield FC a while back and works as a debt collector last I heard? Lives up near Rhyddings Park.
Good luck with your search for a class photo...Accy or Ossy ibrary maybe?

Last edited by DtheP47; 03-12-2014 at 15:20.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 13:33   #84
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Pat Duffy still has a Car Body shop up near the Greyhound in Clayton "Hyndburn Autos" he will be repairing the rear bumperand wing of my VW in the next week or so. ouch !!)
mea culpa
Took my car into Pat's place this morning He sends his regards as he does too to Cashy.

I hadn't made the connection you were Les's brother Duncan. He was at English Electric with me and frequented the Abbey too as well you know.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:14   #85

I was at ASTS in the early 50's after Peel Park. Fred Abbott was known in those days as Freda Bott, Mr Waterhouse played the Waterhouse Blues once. Caned by Mr Pullum Pullan?? Mrs Archer was not to be trifled with. LOL Marsden I never spoke to in 5 years. Mr Eland, Mrs Westell, Mr Gordon, Bob Cunliffe; they were all fine. Most of us took 7 O levels and actually it was a very good school.
All a long time ago!
cashman likes this.
charlwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 18:47   #86
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlwood View Post
I was at ASTS in the early 50's after Peel Park. Fred Abbott was known in those days as Freda Bott, Mr Waterhouse played the Waterhouse Blues once. Caned by Mr Pullum Pullan?? Mrs Archer was not to be trifled with. LOL Marsden I never spoke to in 5 years. Mr Eland, Mrs Westell, Mr Gordon, Bob Cunliffe; they were all fine. Most of us took 7 O levels and actually it was a very good school.
All a long time ago!
Used to clean Frank Elands car instead of metalwork due to being banned from it.
Old 06-06-2019, 18:46   #87
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Waterhouse rings a bell,what did he teach? was it tech drawing?

There was a Mr Waterhouse at Rhyddings when I was there (I left in 1977) he taught mathematics, he died in April this year.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:47   #88
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
There was a Mr Waterhouse at Rhyddings when I was there (I left in 1977) he taught mathematics, he died in April this year.
oh i left easter 63. name still rings a bell though.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:46   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post

... Really sorry to hear that. Mr Waterhouse taught Maths at the Tech' School in 1966... Lovely man.

Mr Smith was the English teacher [his hobby was photography, I recall], Fred Abbott taught Physics, Mr Eland metalwork.

Duncan Ion
Form 5B
PS. Anyone got a form photo of 5X or 5A in 1966 ?

Last edited by thectosian; 10-06-2019 at 10:49.
thectosian is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..