Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2013, 14:25   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Help in need of urgent prom transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
It doesn`t have to cost the earth, plenty of places sell dresses second hand, and you get most of your money back when you sell it on again. You don`t have to pay for an expensive car, although in her case, there were 16 ( I think ) sharing a car, so while the car was expensive, shared between 16 it wasn`t too bad, and there were lots who turned up getting lifts from parents.
I agree about it coming from America, but it`s only taking place of the school disco`s that were around when I was at school, but on a bigger scale.
Let them have their Prom, it`s a once in a lifetime thing for them, to say goodbye to a lot of their school friends.
I would hazard a guess that most young girls of today don't really want a second hand dress...they also want all the frills that go along with such an event......spray tan, hairdo, gel nails...so what starts off looking like it is affordable can get out of hand.
But, yes Olivia enjoy your prom.
BERNADETTE likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2013, 14:34   #17
Senior Member+

There wasn`t much dancing going on at the school discos.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 14:42   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I would hazard a guess that most young girls of today don't really want a second hand dress...
It was that or nothing, and there was no way of telling it was second hand. And she looked beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 399324_10151267158049782_1397237006_n.jpg (68.9 KB, 45 views)
vecrra, cashman, bernie94 and 4 others like this.
Old 28-06-2013, 14:50   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
It was that or nothing, and there was no way of telling it was second hand. And she looked beautiful.
Can't argue wi that, Have sod all against Proms really, if thats whats the thing now, But do have a definite concern about the costs,to some parents, Can remember back when some could not afford to send kids on a school trip, Don't see as anythings changed in that regard.
BERNADETTE likes this.
Old 28-06-2013, 14:51   #20
Beacon of light

You are right.....you can't tell, and she does look beautiful(and it isn't all down to the dress - she would look beautiful in a bin bag...some girls just have that attribute).
Old 28-06-2013, 15:18   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You are right.....you can't tell, and she does look beautiful(and it isn't all down to the dress - she would look beautiful in a bin bag...some girls just have that attribute).
I think she gets that from me.
Old 28-06-2013, 20:05   #22

Well prom in my opinion & many others is not a case to show off or an Americanism it's a chance to meet up with friends for the last time & have a good time.It doesn't have to cost the earth but would be nice to celebrate the day to do things in a way that is more special than normal but thank you for wishing me to have a good time & thanks for the pm!
olivia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 20:53   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Hope yeh got sorted olivia.
Old 28-06-2013, 21:05   #24
Beacon of light

Olivia...I do hope you have a good time.
Why would it be the last time you will see your friends?
Surely if you are friends than you will make time to meet up and enjoy one anothers company from time to time...Ok, so you won't see these people every day like you did when you were at school...but unless you are going to be going away to Uni - then you will still have some sort of social contact.
Old 28-06-2013, 21:48   #25

Yes of course we will but its a chance to meet formally with all of the year & teachers etc as a year and celebrate the time we had.Prom isn't just about who had the most extravagant dress at all; well it's not how we see it anyway.
Old 28-06-2013, 22:06   #26
Senior Member+

Never heard my daughter or any of her friends compare dresses other than in a good way - didn`t such & such look lovely, oh and wasn`t her dress nice, that kind of thing.
And while close friends will keep in touch, when they go to different colleges or do different courses, a lot will end up drifting apart.
Good luck Olivia, have a great time.
Old 28-06-2013, 22:07   #27

Ye Olivia, god sake it's only one day no need for all this hassle. God sake, there's more to life, stop being a spoilt brat because you not have a posh car!
Ellie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 22:10   #28

Thank you very much! It's not all about looks anymore!
Old 28-06-2013, 22:12   #29

Gosh, teens today
Ellie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 22:16   #30

Hahaahahhaah

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..