Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2013, 17:22   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Fleas on dogs

Margaret Stronghold is in pipettes just like Frontline. Max had mites when he was a puppy and we got the Stronghold from the Vet
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2013, 18:52   #17
Beacon of light

My daughter recently got a Jack Russell puppy...she had been treated with Stronghold, but we thought it was a jab
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 19:08   #18
Senior Member+

It is stronger chemicals than Frontline
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 19:12   #19
Beacon of light

Yes, she was told that it was effective against eggs and larvae.......she was quite perturbed when the puppy came in from playing in the garden to find she had acquired a couple of fleas....I told her that once they had had a feed they would die and drop off...but she combed them out and killed them anyway.
Old 12-10-2013, 15:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jelly baby is the injection called 'Stronghold'?
Sorry for the delay in replying, have been away.
No, stronghold is another flea treatment for which a prescription is needed. It is, as the name suggests, stronger than frontline so may not be suitable for smaller dogs. It not only kills fleas but mites and other parasites as well. It is available online but only with a prescription. I don't know what the injection is called, but it does work well in conjunction with the frontline.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 15:04   #21

Oops, didn't see the previous replies!

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 15:27   #22
Junior Member+

how old is she and do you walk her in grass
essexshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 15:40   #23
Beacon of light

My mum has a chihuahua and he has had a big problem this year.....we have treated the home with canisters that 'fog' the place...he has had fipronil treatment(frontline) but still he has the odd flea(despite combing him when he comes in)...I have told my mum that it is because he goes into the long grass near her house...anyway I have ordered some Frontline Combo..this has something in it which sterilises the female flea and makes it impossible for her to reproduce.
Old 12-10-2013, 18:18   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexshar View Post
how old is she and do you walk her in grass
Yes I fell run with her. She's 10.

Quote:
My mum has a chihuahua and he has had a big problem this year.....we have treated the home with canisters that 'fog' the place...he has had fipronil treatment(frontline) but still he has the odd flea(despite combing him when he comes in)...I have told my mum that it is because he goes into the long grass near her house...anyway I have ordered some Frontline Combo..this has something in it which sterilises the female flea and makes it impossible for her to reproduce.
Hope it works!
I am supposing the fleas were stubborn on Kya because she's a big hairy thing. They have gone now anyway, she's much happier and Neill isn't freaking out (obviously they didn't leave me jumping for joy either but he was really upset by it more so than I was)!
Old 12-10-2013, 18:39   #25
Beacon of light

It has really upset my mum too. She has had dogs all of her life but they have never had fleas. I think the two pronged attack will work, especially as the weather is cooling down now too.
Old 15-10-2013, 14:52   #26

Buy one of these puppies too for combing...

Works like them fly trap things, when you hit one you hear it crack... flea, dead...

Sunflower49 likes this.
Bob97531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 15:20   #27
Beacon of light

We have one of those as well as a conventional flea comb.
Sunflower49 likes this.
Old 16-10-2013, 15:18   #28

Quote:
It has really upset my mum too. She has had dogs all of her life but they have never had fleas. I think the two pronged attack will work, especially as the weather is cooling down now too.
Thanks-I'm pretty confident that the problem has gone now, although I did see a tiny one a few days ago on the sofa, the vet said not to worry because all of them cannot live off the dog now and will die off without breeding, and yes the weather will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob97531 View Post
Buy one of these puppies too for combing...

Works like them fly trap things, when you hit one you hear it crack... flea, dead...

lol nice!

Neill was really upset, I think because his last dog (all have been rescues) was in a bad way when he got him, and absolutely riddled with fleas, and they were so hard to get rid of as there were so many of them. The whole house got infested and everything fabric was on a constant wash repeat cycle until the treatment took hold.
I think he envisioned a repeat of that situation and he panicked when I said I'd seen them on Kya.
I guess they affect different situations and people in different ways, if they're caught quickly they're just a nuisance but they can be a big problem.
Kya HATES being combed unfortunately. Actually she hates most things unless she can eat it or fornicate with it.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 18-10-2013, 13:51   #29

Unfortunately this may not be the best solution then, mine gets a bit "twitchy" when he hears it crack near him ! and then he works out what's coming and won't let us brush him !
Its worth a fiver just to fry a few of the horrid little critters though !
Bob97531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 20:22   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Only just seen this, we used Frontline fer years (on Vets recommendation) this last year it seemed to not work very well at all, (ours is 15) n small, so we tried Bob Martins, fer some reason its worked great n we have stayed wi it, much cheaper as well.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..