Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2014, 21:14   #1

Smile Is hopi ear candling affective?

I have trained in Hopi ear candling & was wondering how many people have found it helpful.
olivia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2014, 21:19   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Is hopi ear candling affective?

Its got me wondering how many know what it is olivia, i sure as hell don't.
Old 03-02-2014, 21:30   #3

"The process of Hopi candling involves a specially designed hollow candle being inserted just inside the ear canal. The hopi candle is then lit and the suction that is formed draws secretion flow is gently stimulated and the vapour collects and removes impurities or deposits. Often referred to as the ‘chimney’ effect. The rising air gives the ear drum a gentle massage and also helps to regulate ear pressure. This is soothing, calming and protects the irritated areas."
cashman likes this.
olivia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 21:50   #4
Senior Member+

I've tried it. It didn't seem to help me much.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 22:10   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I've tried it. It didn't seem to help me much.
Nowt on it, Nowt in it.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:59   #6
Senior Member+

I,ve heard it all now using your ear as a flue
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:37   #7
Senior Member+

A doctor once told me 'Never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow'- I'd been using cotton wool buds. He said it was very easy to do damage.
Sticking a candle in sounds a bit iffy. What if hot wax goes the wrong way?
Talking cotton wool buds, I heard of one guy who was busy cleaning his ear. The phone rang, he grabbed it, pushed it to his ear- unfortunately he'd left the bud sticking out. That ear's just for holding his glasses on now.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:54   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
A doctor once told me 'Never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow'- I'd been using cotton wool buds. He said it was very easy to do damage.
Sticking a candle in sounds a bit iffy. What if hot wax goes the wrong way?
Talking cotton wool buds, I heard of one guy who was busy cleaning his ear. The phone rang, he grabbed it, pushed it to his ear- unfortunately he'd left the bud sticking out. That ear's just for holding his glasses on now.
That sounds really painful!
It's okay to clean around the pinna and general ear area but not to insert into the canal I think? I have a friend who has a build up of wax but refuses to go to the GP, he's ordered a 'Home Ear Syringing Kit' from eBay. I'm concerned!

Anyway in answer to your question, Olivia I am intrigued by the ear candling thing, I've seen it advertised in a Chinese Medicine centre and heard It's helpful for all sorts of things, is that true?
Old 04-02-2014, 11:41   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I have had me ears syringed many times, due to wax build ups, it can vary depending where yeh have it done, The first time was when i lived in spain n lukewarm water was used wi great results, my hearing improved a great deal. when i returned here i had occasion to go to my local medical practice in accy, the first time i had it done the water was cold. which was painful,i kicked off about it n said do yeh actually know what yer doing!! cos i'm damn sure clueless is the answer.
Old 04-02-2014, 13:46   #10

My doctors practice refuses to do ear syringing.They are afraid of the litigation if the nurse accidentally perforates the eardrum.Sad isn't it? If mine need doing I have to go to the walk in clinic.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 13:58   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
My doctors practice refuses to do ear syringing.They are afraid of the litigation if the nurse accidentally perforates the eardrum.Sad isn't it? If mine need doing I have to go to the walk in clinic.
After the nurse i had in accy jim, i can well understand that!!! agree a sad state of affairs though.
Old 04-02-2014, 14:12   #12
Senior Member+

I'm open for jetwashing
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 16:37   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia123 View Post
I have trained in Hopi ear candling & was wondering how many people have found it helpful.
Last thing I read about it said it was useless. You should know if it pulls any rubbish out of people ears.
Old 04-02-2014, 17:06   #14
Resting in Peace

Pardon ?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 17:51   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Last thing I read about it said it was useless. You should know if it pulls any rubbish out of people ears.
Ear Ear!

How can pushing a burning candle in your ear pull rubbish out? More likely to push rubbish in.

Clinical tests showed the only stuff that came out was not ear wax but candle grease mixed with soot that had fallen in. Not good!
The Hopi Indians say it has nothing to do with them and their name shouldn't be used.
A couple of people burned their houses down doing it. It didn't say if they could hear better.

I've heard of people pushing candles in orifices but this is ridiculous.
maxthecollie likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..