Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2014, 16:59   #16

Re: Is hopi ear candling affective?

I don't think ear candling has ever existed to remove physical substances from the ears? I was under the impression that it was for stress relief, removal of tension and to alleviate symptoms of sinus or ear infection. It's meant as a relaxing therapy.
Old 05-02-2014, 18:29   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower49 View Post
I don't think ear candling has ever existed to remove physical substances from the ears? I was under the impression that it was for stress relief, removal of tension and to alleviate symptoms of sinus or ear infection. It's meant as a relaxing therapy.
Read Olivia123s post 4, Sunflower. She's trained in it and claims ' removes impurities or deposits'.
As for stress relief, I can imagine a few things more stressful than having a burning candle stuck in each ear but not many!

Didn't Blackbeard do that to frighten people? Bet it stressed them!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 00:13   #18

Sorry GB I see I realise now I misunderstood what Olivia123 was saying about it!

I've known of this treatment in the past but never looked into it thoroughly.For what it was designed for originally, I'm intrigued but for removing deposits or *physical* impurities..That isn't what I was thinking of for it.

It's a very low-smouldering candle that's traditionally used lol not one that's burning down to the wick (I hope)!
Old 06-02-2014, 14:29   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I have had me ears syringed many times, due to wax build ups, it can vary depending where yeh have it done, The first time was when i lived in spain n lukewarm water was used wi great results, my hearing improved a great deal. when i returned here i had occasion to go to my local medical practice in accy, the first time i had it done the water was cold. which was painful,i kicked off about it n said do yeh actually know what yer doing!! cos i'm damn sure clueless is the answer.
Funny you should mention that, cashman. I've just had mine done this afternoon- no success so back again next week.

After reading Olivias claims , I tried putting a lighted dinner candle in my ear. Couldn't get the thick end in and when I pushed the thin end in the flame went out.Perhaps that's why it didn't work! And by the time I got to the bathroom all the hair on that side of my head had burned off. Olivia never mentioned that!

The nurse said she'd never seen an ear full of bright red wax which wouldn't move.Do you think I should have mentioned the dinner candle?

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 06-02-2014 at 14:31.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 15:20   #20
Senior Member+

A fella I know had a serious hearing problem for years.
He went to the doctor and the doctor suggested syringing etc.
They ended up deciding on a hearing aid, Which turned out to allow him to hear 100% again.
A couple of months after he had it fitted I went to visit,we got talking as you do and I said "Your family must be really pleased that you can hear again eh?.'
he replied, "Oh, I haven't told my family yet, I just sit around and listen to the conversations they have about me"....
Turns out he changed his will three times!'

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 15:26   #21
Senior Member+

A interesting little read (if your into that sort of thing).
BBC News - Secretion secrets: things you didn?t know about ear wax

password--Accyweb
Old 16-03-2014, 21:22   #22
God Member

as someone who suffers horrendously from ear hair tickling and irritating my inner ear anything that can save me from the sheer hell of wanting to scratch my own ears to bits would be welcome. if they could kill all hair growth in my ears I'd be a happy man!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 00:16   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
as someone who suffers horrendously from ear hair tickling and irritating my inner ear anything that can save me from the sheer hell of wanting to scratch my own ears to bits would be welcome. if they could kill all hair growth in my ears I'd be a happy man!
If it's been going on a while it maybe hay fever.
Try an antihystemine and see if that works with some ear drops.

Also have a read of this-:
Five Common Causes of Itchy Ear Canals - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

password--Accyweb
Old 17-03-2014, 06:48   #24
Beacon of light

Quote:
You need to let a doctor have a look into your ear canal ......you may have a fungal infection in there which will not go away unless it is treated properly.

Other than that one of those ear/nose hair trimmers might offer some kind of solution.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 06:50   #25
Beacon of light

Oop! Hadn't read far enough to spot your post with the link Accyexplorer.
Old 17-03-2014, 12:42   #26
God Member

been going on for ~ 25 years...

Will try some antihysts but I am pretty convinced its hairs..

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 12:49   #27
Senior Member+

Could be his not hairs
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 13:50   #28
Beacon of light

Quote:
been going on for ~ 25 years...

Will try some antihysts but I am pretty convinced its hairs..
Please see your Doctor. He is the one who can have a look and tell you if it is just hairy ears.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 18-03-2014, 18:07   #29

I tried it once with a tealight when I was at the beach once, didnt help with the wax in the ears but because i was spinning round due to the heat it stopped a passing ship crashing
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..