Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2014, 21:07   #1

house alarm

any info on having a security system put in a house don't want anything connect to call system saw one in a shop up abbey st but it didn't come with fitting which I need any info would be good thanks violet
violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-07-2014, 14:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: house alarm

B & Q have some very reasonable wireless alarm systems so all you have to do is to screw the detectors etc. to the walls, no interconnecting wiring needed.
Old 02-07-2014, 15:52   #3
Senior Member+

I don't know much about home sensor security but I assume, like most crime, prevention is key.
You can pick up wireless ip camera set ups (4+ cameras) from around £200-300 (that send images to your phone).Add that to a little research about ways to make your home seem less of a target (not leaving valuables in display,beware of dog (even if you've not got1),CCTV signs etc) and you should (hopefully) be ok

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:08   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by violet View Post
any info on having a security system put in a house don't want anything connect to call system saw one in a shop up abbey st but it didn't come with fitting which I need any info would be good thanks violet
Just a word of caution Violet, there is a lot of misselling in the alarm market. Lots of stuff on www and google.

Yes buy local and if you can't fit it yourself, the installation should be well within the capabilities of a qualified electrian
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I don't know much about home sensor security but I assume, like most crime, prevention is key.
You can pick up wireless ip camera set ups (4+ cameras) from around £200-300 (that send images to your phone).Add that to a little research about ways to make your home seem less of a target (not leaving valuables in display,beware of dog (even if you've not got1),CCTV signs etc) and you should (hopefully) be ok
Cameras are ok if you want to see who stole your stuff but they don't stop them. My neighbour has them so he can catch the bin wagon next time he knock his wall down. Next time because they knocked it down and pure look his wife was in at the time.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:26   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
B & Q have some very reasonable wireless alarm systems so all you have to do is to screw the detectors etc. to the walls, no interconnecting wiring needed.
I have fitted quite a few alarms including wireless and have never really been happy with the wireless ones. The ones in B&Q will be at the bottom end of the market and I wouldn't be keen on fitting one to my house. Mine is wired and the only false alarms I have ever had haven't been false - dog left in the wrong room and garage door not fully closed type of thing.

You may pay a bit more for wired in installation costs but it's worth it. DOn't forget even with a wired you need to have the battery replaced every few years but they are not expensive. That's why you hear house alarms going off when we have a power cut, faulty battery in the panel or bell.

Haha bell, I am showing my age now
Less likes this.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:49   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

If you want secure, security, get in touch with a Police advisor, don't trust anyone or anything they wouldn't recommend. Including posts on here.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 15:05   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Cameras are ok if you want to see who stole your stuff but they don't stop them.
I disagree Neil, some police services use wireless IP cameras in "stings" because they get a message on their phone (as well a picture) as soon as the sensors are tripped.It wouldn't be hard for you to ring the police if you got a message and say there is a burglary in progress (hopefully catching them red handed).
Also the picture of the offender(s) help to secure a conviction even if they manage to out wit the police and get away from the scene (which often happens).

password--Accyweb
Old 03-07-2014, 22:30   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I disagree Neil, some police services use wireless IP cameras in "stings" because they get a message on their phone (as well a picture) as soon as the sensors are tripped.It wouldn't be hard for you to ring the police if you got a message and say there is a burglary in progress (hopefully catching them red handed).
Also the picture of the offender(s) help to secure a conviction even if they manage to out wit the police and get away from the scene (which often happens).
That relies on you being somewhere your phone works and able to look at it.

All you need to do is cover your face and wear plain clothes and the camera is useless at identifying you.

A professional monitored alarm has a control station that react when your alarm is triggered.

Alarm first, cameras second.

I have installed both many times so speak from experience.

20 years ago I was making and selling dummy alarm boxes with flashing LED's that were a good deterrent to any passing thieves. The idea being, I have an alarm but next door doesn't so break into theres instead.
Old 04-07-2014, 00:20   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
That relies on you being somewhere your phone works and able to look at it.

All you need to do is cover your face and wear plain clothes and the camera is useless at identifying you.

A professional monitored alarm has a control station that react when your alarm is triggered.

Alarm first, cameras second.

I have installed both many times so speak from experience.

20 years ago I was making and selling dummy alarm boxes with flashing LED's that were a good deterrent to any passing thieves. The idea being, I have an alarm but next door doesn't so break into theres instead.
Fair points, I remember the dummy boxes it was around the same time criminals started using expanding foam etc to silence the real ones.
I suppose if their determined enough they'll get in regardless.

password--Accyweb
Old 04-07-2014, 13:19   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

That's when they stopped making bell boxes with holes in them. The old type with real bells in had holes to let the sound out, the foam used to fill the bell and stoped the hammer ding-a-linging
Old 05-07-2014, 20:05   #12

We have used P J Wright excellent 07889584676
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 13:45   #13

hello esteemedjuju is this bloke local im finding in the local paper now being owned by man/even/news not many local ads I just want local people thanks for all the comments violet
violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 14:00   #14

Hi Violet he is local lives in Acc I think near Hollins school did live on Queens road west We have used him a couple of times would def reccommend him
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:51   #15

Although not as convenient its far better to go for a wired on, wireless can be interfered with and even hacked.
Although they don't bother about them, kick the front door in and grab & run before anyone has bothered to see what the alarm is about.

A monitored setup costs a lot more and is an annual contract so you have to consider the costs for that.

Before getting an alarm spend some money tightening up the security you already have, door locks need improving, bolts, hinge pins, window locks, fix damaged wooden windows & doors and make them strong rather than easy to kick open etc.

Look at how a burglar will gain access, make sure you don't have a wheely bin right next to your fence that they can jump on and over, put all garden tools away in a secure place (garden sheds are often very insecure).

Then...... think about an alarm.

And if anyone says it will reduce your insurance premium - just laugh - you will when you see the difference. (they also have to be fitted by an approved by them installer).

Just fitting a cheap alarm is both a waste of money and a gives you a false impression that your protected.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..