Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2014, 06:42   #1
Senior Member+

Question It's not a problem or is it?

Yes,fair enough for those doing 'some jobs' ie nobody wants to be patched up on a Monday by that paramedic that's half cooked due to the bender on Sunday... but retail work?
Who cares if the fella on the till at Tesco/Asda had a couple joints over the weekend?.....I suppose they may over charge someone leaving the world in turmoil.

Penalising folk for what they do in their private time just seems a little wrong IMO.
If people want to have a drink or have a smoke and as long as it doesn't affect their work then "it's not a problem or is it"?

Workplace drug testing 'on the rise', say providers - BBC News

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-10-2014, 06:50   #2

Re: It's not a problem or is it?

Smoking pot. Its class B, no its class C, Its legal here, its not legal there, Its OK for medical, no its not, Phew, I am so confused. I saw people get aggressive after drinking alcohol, very aggressive, never saw this when someone smoked pot. Do not operate machinery, Hee Hee.
Eric likes this.
putsinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:01   #3
Senior Member+

I suppose it's a good tool for those bosses looking to cut costs on redundancy payouts (hmm) and as always I presume it will only apply to the lower earners not CEO's etc.
Perhaps a good starting point would be to drug test all them MP's in parliament ,I'm sure their off their heads on something

password--Accyweb
Old 06-10-2014, 09:23   #4
Beacon of light

If the taking of drugs or alcohol impacts on your work, then of course it is a problem for an employer......because the employee is unable to fulfil their contractual obligations.
In short you cannot do the job you are being paid to do.
Your private life is your own business until it impacts on your area of work.......and if you were an employer you would see that......but you aren't and so you see it as an infringement of your Liberty.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:36   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
If the taking of drugs or alcohol impacts on your work, then of course it is a problem for an employer......because the employee is unable to fulfil their contractual obligations.
In short you cannot do the job you are being paid to do.
Your private life is your own business until it impacts on your area of work.......and if you were an employer you would see that......but you aren't and so you see it as an infringement of your Liberty.
I suppose it is a little selfish M,Drugs tend to stay in the system long after the effects wear off.
It's Monday morning and Jason on the fork lift had a few joints over the weekend. Jason turns a bit sharp and some of his load falls off the forks and on to Peter who is walking past killing Peter.

The insurance company demand a drug test and find drugs in Jason's system. Insurance refuses to pay out and a charge of corporate manslaughter is brought against the company. The company cannot afford the immense fine and closes for business putting Jason,his work colleagues out of work.

But as long as Jason can get stoned at the weekend, sod everybody else....I get it now

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 06-10-2014 at 09:38.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:47   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Most companies already have policies about alcohol, drugs is just the next step.
If I make a mistake at work because my tiny brain is under the influence of something I could cause an accident and kill someone.
It doesn't really need a second thought about testing someone you suspect has been drinking or taking drugs and may not be safe to themselves or others around them
Old 06-10-2014, 10:04   #7
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I suppose it is a little selfish M,Drugs tend to stay in the system long after the effects wear off.
It's Monday morning and Jason on the fork lift had a few joints over the weekend. Jason turns a bit sharp and some of his load falls off the forks and on to Peter who is walking past killing Peter.

The insurance company demand a drug test and find drugs in Jason's system. Insurance refuses to pay out and a charge of corporate manslaughter is brought against the company. The company cannot afford the immense fine and closes for business putting Jason,his work colleagues out of work.

But as long as Jason can get stoned at the weekend, sod everybody else....I get it now
It isn't just selfish it is irresponsible.
I once had the unenviable task of sending home a member of staff who turned up for work still suffering the effects of an alcohol fuelled weekend.
The person was unfit to cope with the work responsibilities which were expected of them.....and as such they were unsafe to practice.
The person received a disciplinary warning and the time off was deducted from their holiday entitlement.

Now are you saying that I should have let this nurse stay on duty and put the patients at risk?
How would you have felt if one of your relatives was being looked after by someone who was the worse for drink?
Had I not acted, then I would have been just as culpable for any adverse events which had arisen from my lack of action.
Sara, Less, cashman and 1 others like this.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:36   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Now are you saying that I should have let this nurse stay on duty and put the patients at risk?
No,Like I've said, if your job effects the life's of others (especially nurses etc) drug test seem reasonable enough to me.

What about those folk on certain prescription drugs? I'm sure your aware that Anti-depressants for example can affect folks performance. More so than having a couple of pints or a few joints at the weekend.

Sorry for sounding like Mr conspiracy but companies aren't treating folk like humans anymore they are treating them like machines where every ounce of efficiency is attempted to be squeezed out of them. They don't want them running on 80%, they want them running on 100% all the time.

As you know,we live in a society where money is worshipped over everything else (it's making for a sick society). It's obvious that jobs like nurses, surgeons or paramedics shouldn't be working under the influence but testing people who sell clothes or who are on the till at Asda is taking things a bit far imo.

password--Accyweb
Old 06-10-2014, 10:47   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
No,Like I've said, if your job effects the life's of others (especially nurses etc) drug test seem reasonable enough to me.
So it's an infringement of your freedom if applied to you but is O.K. when applied to others?

We should all turn up for work in a condition fit to do that work responsibly.
maxthecollie likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:56   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So it's an infringement of your freedom if applied to you but is O.K. when applied to others?

We should all turn up for work in a condition fit to do that work responsibly.
Your ok Less,I don't think they do drug tests in mordor

password--Accyweb
Old 06-10-2014, 11:01   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Your ok Less,I don't think they do drug tests in mordor
What was it about my sensible reply that provoked yet another of your moronic digs?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:13   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
As you know,we live in a society where money is worshipped over everything else (it's making for a sick society). It's obvious that jobs like nurses, surgeons or paramedics shouldn't be working under the influence but testing people who sell clothes or who are on the till at Asda is taking things a bit far imo.
No, I don't think it is. If you enter into a contract with an employer(to work for them) then shouldn't you make sure that you are fit to do that job?
Isn't your employer entitled to expect value for money......a responsible attitude, and of course safety of the people you work with.
If for any reason you cannot keep to your part of the contract, then the employer is within their rights to find someone else who is capable of doing a good job.
Even on the Till at Asda, you need to have your wits about you.

Those people who take drugs for medical reasons are under the surveillance of a medical team and if their performance was reduced due to the medical treatment, then the doctor would have to sign them off as unfit to work, but even those on antidepressants become attuned to the drugs in their system...if you like, their tolerance of them makes work possible...in effect they get used to the way they work for them personally.

Jason your argument for recreational drugs and alcohol doesn't hold water.

If you know yourself to be compromised by your recreational activities, you have two choices......give up the activities or give up the job.
Less, cashman and maxthecollie like this.
Old 06-10-2014, 13:23   #13
God Member

This is all bs, probably just brought up in order to agitate the fecal matter ... nothing to do with drugs and booze ... come to think of it, if booze isn't a drug, then what is it? Bottom line is that it's about common sense and responsibility. If you are aware that you have to show up for work at eight ack emma on monday, just don't be quaffing the booze, or toking, or snorting, or hitting at three. Nobody gives ... or should give ... a flying you-know-what about what you do on your time off. Just don't show up for work, or drive, or operate chainsaws when you are still trashed. If you do, you have a problem ... probably one you would have had even if you spent a sober, straight weekend. People who do this are ignorant, irresponsible assholes, drunk or sober.

A sense of responsibility, a large dose of common sense, and an IQ large enough to figure out how to pour water out of a boot without having to read the instructions written on the heel is all you need to manage, or to balance your recreational habits with your work.

I'm having a quiet toke right now ... but all I have to do today is housework, and walk the hound. If I go out to the bar later, I will take a cab there and back. I've already taken my window shaker out ... yes, Summer is gone. So, nothing else I have to do today requires sober concentration.
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 13:25   #14
Full Member+

It wouldn't be much fun on an airliner if the pilot was hungover or stoned or on a bus or train either!
Old 06-10-2014, 14:33   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I'm beginning to wonder if accyx is related to Kes?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..