Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 14:21   #1

Bonfire Displays

Was wondering if anyone knows the details of any bonfire displays this week!
olivia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2014, 14:55   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Bonfire Displays

Accy Cricket Club on 8th.

Accrington Cricket Club
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 22:03   #3
Full Member+

Tricky's on Thwaites Rd, Ossy on the 5th of November.
Old 05-11-2014, 13:48   #4
God Member

I take it that Bonfire Night ain't what it used to be ... Are there still kids making money by asking "penny for the Guy"? Can you still get 3-2-1 Zeroes? Treacle toffee? Black peas? Basically, is there any fun still left ... or do folks have to wear hard hats, safety glasses, and steel-toed boots? So far only two bonfires mentioned ... used to be hundreds.
joaner3 likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 13:58   #5
Senior Member+

You don`t get people having them in their back garden so much any more. I`ve been to accy golf one a few times when kids were younger and it was a good do. Bonfire, fireworks display, a few rides for the kids, BBQ and bar, much better than a few rockets fired from a milk bottle and a catherine wheel on back yard gate.

P.S. I believe there are some on in Darwen tonight.

Last edited by gpick24; 05-11-2014 at 13:59. Reason: Added PS
Old 05-11-2014, 19:56   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
You don`t get people having them in their back garden so much any more. I`ve been to accy golf one a few times when kids were younger and it was a good do. Bonfire, fireworks display, a few rides for the kids, BBQ and bar, much better than a few rockets fired from a milk bottle and a catherine wheel on back yard gate.

P.S. I believe there are some on in Darwen tonight.
But the fun was in making your own guy, saving up for your own fireworks, collecting the wood for your own fire, having home-made treacle toffee. Rides, BBQ and bar ... no way. All you are doing is going to a show that someone else puts on. It's like the difference between going outside for a game of football, or staying in and playing FIFA 14, or shiite like that.
joaner3 likes this.
Old 05-11-2014, 20:00   #7

I remember Catherine wheels, and potatoes blackened in the fire. An expat friend held a bonfire night over here thirty years ago. It was melded with a what I thought was a Dutch take on it: hot rum toddies and dancing round the fire. Miss that!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 20:10   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Erics got a good point, much of the fun involved collecting n guarding yer own wood, also raiding other collections etc, as well as the fun on the night wi yer mams n dads roasting the spuds etc on the fire, it just aint the same going to organised uns.
smobile, Turtle and westendlass like this.
Old 05-11-2014, 20:18   #9
Senior Member+

All good points, we nearly always had a bonfire when we were kids they just don`t seem to happen anymore. They are allowed so nothing to stop anyone who wants to have their own.
Old 05-11-2014, 20:49   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I take it that Bonfire Night ain't what it used to be ... Are there still kids making money by asking "penny for the Guy"? .
Where have you been Eric? We don't have pennies here anymore and 95% of kids wouldn't be able to tell you who Guy Fawkes was never mind make an effigy out of old rag & bone clothes.
Fireworks are an all year round thing now. I blame the Millenium, ever since then fireworks are fired off for birthdays, weddings, they even had them at Linda Bellimgham's funeral this week! You've probably been away too long to know who Linda Bellingham was too.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 21:46   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
You've probably been away too long to know who Linda Bellingham was too.
Absolutely no idea ... and I'm not even going to bother googling it

Did they have fireworks for Maggie's funeral?

And there are probably no rag and bone men any more ... I think Basil Brierly was the last one in Clayton.

And we don't have pennies any more either ... but I can still put in my two cents worth.
joaner3 likes this.

Last edited by Eric; 05-11-2014 at 21:49.
Old 05-11-2014, 21:48   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Absolutely no idea ... and I'm not even going to bother googling it

Did they have fireworks for Maggie's funeral?
No idea was too busy celebrating to notice.
Eric and Alan Varrechia like this.
Old 05-11-2014, 21:59   #13
Senior Member+

Bonfire Displays

Don't know why dthep thinks we don't but we still have pennies.
Old 05-11-2014, 22:07   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Doubt it in Clayton.
DtheP47 likes this.
Old 05-11-2014, 22:10   #15
God Member

Quote:
And you know you're getting old when you can remember when they wore worth something

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..