Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2015, 15:20   #1
BOB

accrington metallic brick

just been a walk up the old line at Baxenden and found a old brick with the name Accrington metallic brick any one know any thing about them
BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-02-2015, 15:58   #2
Senior Member+

Re: accrington metallic brick

One of these bricks?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28709338@N04/2688361169/

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 16:19   #3
BOB

This one got some marks on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaccy brick.JPG (134.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-02-2015, 16:59   #4
Senior Member+

It's probably just the name given to that type of brick due to the metallic effect on the brick (though that doesn't explain the red brick in my link), I know very little about them so I'm unable to comment further,there are however more knowledgable members on here when it comes to bricks who may be able to help.
Also, it may be worth using the search box located at the top of the screen as there may well be brick threads on this forum.

Hope you get the answers your looking for Bob

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 11-02-2015 at 17:02.
Old 11-02-2015, 17:59   #5
I am Banned

This link mentions "alumina" aka refractory ore.
It's possible that's where the metallic name came from.

Old Bricks:England 3 - A
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:12   #6
Senior Member+

Local firms also made 'plastic' bricks.
All NORI bricks had a frog in them
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:54   #7
BOB

yes i found the brick in the river at Baxenden must have been in the water for years not far from the old print works near to white croft i think it could be from Baxenden pit cant find the same brick on the web
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bash brick.JPG (84.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-02-2015, 16:13   #8
Full Member+

Those dark coloured bricks were fired longer than the standard facing bricks to harden the surface, They were known as engineering bricks and were used in jobs where they were subject to heavy loading.

Accrington bricks were so successful because of the iron content in the clay and as every Accringtonian worth their salt knows, that is how they became known as NORI bricks. Whether the legend is true, that the pattern maker reversed the letters by mistake is a myth we will probably never discount or prove.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 20:18   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Whether the legend is true, that the pattern maker reversed the letters by mistake is a myth we will probably never discount or prove.
Can we once and for all make an end to the so called legend that a mistake was made, that Iron became Nori, Cowcrap. Having worked as a pattern maker for over 12 years I know from experience that it is nigh on impossible, firstly more than one pattern maker would have been involved in the manufacture of the brick making machinery and all patterns are checked against the blue prints by the foreman before going on the foundry, then the iron moulder didn't see any errors in spelling, next the iron dressers , than the machine shop, next the fitting and assembly shop, and final testing before going to the brick works, and nobody saw a spelling, because there were no spelling errors. It was what the brick yard wanted. So will you amateurs SHUT UP with your wild guesses.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 21:45   #10
Full Member+

Good story though.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 07:37   #11
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Can we once and for all make an end to the so called legend that a mistake was made, that Iron became Nori, Cowcrap. Having worked as a pattern maker for over 12 years I know from experience that it is nigh on impossible, firstly more than one pattern maker would have been involved in the manufacture of the brick making machinery and all patterns are checked against the blue prints by the foreman before going on the foundry, then the iron moulder didn't see any errors in spelling, next the iron dressers , than the machine shop, next the fitting and assembly shop, and final testing before going to the brick works, and nobody saw a spelling, because there were no spelling errors. It was what the brick yard wanted. So will you amateurs SHUT UP with your wild guesses.
Good grief!
I am now an official member of A.D.C.R. - Accrington and District Cage Rattlers.

Nigh on impossible for a mistake to be passed through all of those processes?
If the mistake was on the blueprint then the end result would match the mistake.
Eric and DtheP47 like this.

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Old 13-02-2015, 13:19   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
So now you have debunked that little urban legend in your inimitable n grumpy way Retlaw. Any cogent explanation why they would want to call it NORI then?

Don't leave it hanging in the wind like a Florida chad.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 13:31   #13
Full Member+

Perhaps the real reason was the chimney wasn't high enough to paint 'ACCRINGTON BRICKWORKS' on, although I have not consulted any experts when making this amateur assumption.

Old 13-02-2015, 14:22   #14
God Member

Quote:
Good grief!
I am now an official member of A.D.C.R. - Accrington and District Cage Rattlers.
Don't worry it's just normal ornery Retlawian irritability.
gdm27 and Morecambe Ex Pat like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 15:38   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Good grief!
Welcome to the club
Morecambe Ex Pat likes this.

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..