Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2015, 20:56   #16

Re: Best GP?

Hi My family have been with Peel House for over 30years - They have been very good. My Mum recently changed to them and was amazed by the high standard of care she got compared with the practice that she left. There is a good pool of Doctors and think they are all good. They don't always get it right but Im very happy with them and have no problem recommending them.
Thumbelina likes this.
bogtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2015, 21:18   #17
Junior Member+

Thanks Margaret. 😊
Thumbelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 21:37   #18
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have had recent experience of a couple of appointments at Accy Vic walk in surgery when I couldn't get an appointment at Myrtle House. I'm not a regular visitor to the Doctors and only go when forced. The surgery at the Vic was clean, the receptionists efficient, the surgery was very busy but on both occasions I was seen within the hour. The GPs were friendly and thorough.
Thumbelina likes this.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 22:18   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
Hi My family have been with Peel House for over 30years - They have been very good. My Mum recently changed to them and was amazed by the high standard of care she got compared with the practice that she left. There is a good pool of Doctors and think they are all good. They don't always get it right but Im very happy with them and have no problem recommending them.
Well i'm 67 next week and have all my life been with Avenue Parade, till it closed and Peel House opened with them when they moved to the Pals, uptill then was always pretty good, I moved to the Pals with them and then it went downhill rapidly. My own Doc retired about 2/3 yrs back, and despite quite a few trips to the docs, I "NEVER" saw him once at the Pals, some of the receptionists musta had relatives who worked at Belsen, I only left 12 months back due to moving house and its the best thing i ever did. In general there is a good pool of doctors i agree, The problem is seeing one, when you actually need to.
Thumbelina likes this.
Old 21-02-2015, 22:22   #20
God Member

My GP is based at Clayton Medical Centre & as a rule you can always get in to see a doctor on the day you ring - granted you have to start trying to get through at 8 a.m but have seldom been unable to make an appointment
Thumbelina likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 00:28   #21
Junior Member+

It isn't making an appointment that is an issue. It is how you are treated once there that is my issue. It is no good getting in the same day if the GP is rude. I would sooner wait a week to see a decent GP than a day to see one that treats you like you have two heads.
Old 22-02-2015, 08:01   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbelina View Post
It isn't making an appointment that is an issue. It is how you are treated once there that is my issue. It is no good getting in the same day if the GP is rude. I would sooner wait a week to see a decent GP than a day to see one that treats you like you have two heads.
Thats all well and good Thumbelina, But if you need to see one urgent, A weeks no use at all.
Old 22-02-2015, 09:11   #23
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
You can only speak as you find.
My experiences of Pals mirror those reported by Cashy.

I rarely go to the doctors, in fact I avoid them like the plague, but when I have needed to see a doctor it has been very difficult to get an appointment.
You never get to see the same doctor so there is a lack of continuity of care....and there is always the feeling that you need to hurry up because the next patient needs to be seen.
This has never been the case when I take my mum to see the doctor at the Rhyddings surgery.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 11:01   #24
Senior Member+

? should surgeries inform you when they change your GP
I joined Peelhouse in 2008 and was placed under a doctor, I have been to Peelhouse about 5 times since that date, I have never seen that doctor and on looking at the current panel my doctors name does not appear,
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 11:07   #25
Beacon of light

You could ask the practice...although you rarely see the doctor you are registered to anyway....you don't see the same doctor every time.
And if your GP was Dr Woodcock..he has retired.
Old 22-02-2015, 12:04   #26
Senior Member+

No it wasn't Dr. Woodcock Margaret it was Dr. Halstead, (from memory, when I joined they had about 12 Doctors at the practice), they list only 6 Doctors now,
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 12:06   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
You could ask the practice...although you rarely see the doctor you are registered to anyway....you don't see the same doctor every time.
And if your GP was Dr Woodcock..he has retired.
That was my Doc, a real good un in my view, Never once seen him since he moved from avenue parade,apart from a couple of times in the Arndale. I went one time and specifically asked to see him, to be told he has retired,
Old 22-02-2015, 12:31   #28
Beacon of light

Yes Cashy....he was my GP too.....I only saw him once and that was because I asked to see him... I had to wait three weeks for an appointment with him.
Good job it was for routine tests and not something urgent.
He was a very good GP...He worked with me at QPH.
Old 22-02-2015, 16:45   #29
God Member

I listen to radio 4 quite a lot, and recently the subject of the GP shortage was discussed.
It transpires that many GPs are retiring early because their pension scheme makes it more advantageous to do so.

It was something to do with reaching the 'pension pot maximum', which due to their high earnings was achieved earlier than most people do.. Any contributions after that, though compulsory, aren't worth making. There is also the factor that they are being moved from a 'final salary scheme' onto an 'average salary scheme'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 10:33   #30
Junior Member+

I am going to give the Ossy one a ring and ask how long it takes. Is there any specific one at Ossy that is good, or are they all decent?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..