Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2015, 17:22   #1
Senior Member+

Pressure washer

Well,it's that time of year again when the car,drive and paving in the garden needs a washing.
I'm thinking of getting a pressure washer as the traditional hose pipe and stiff brush is too much like hard work.
So,my question is,does anyone have any recommendations?
I'm looking for one that's powerfull enough to take green mould off paving but not too powerfull to take the paint off my car (variable pressure would be good).
Thanks in advance

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2015, 18:09   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Pressure washer

I use a KArcher (K4 I think) and the spinning head is brilliant for cleaning paving, brick drives etc. Mind you you have to use the jet head to wash away all the muck the spinner washes loose. It doesn't dig all the pointing out either( I'm sure the jet spray itself could drill through a concrete wall). It's also very quick, using the jet sprayer itself on a patio is like painting the Forth Bridge with a toothbrush.
Cleaning a car? Not so good. Even if you use the shampoo attachment(the shampoo is very expensive) after you've jet sprayed the car you can still see a film of dirt which dulls the shine.
I once did a very good job of stripping most of the paint off my wife's wheel trims-conjugal rights withdrawn until I spent many hours repainting them.
Haven't tried other makes but Karcher have a good name.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 22-04-2015 at 18:17.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 18:37   #3
Senior Member+

Just a thought- don't go for a little one whatever make. You won't have the pressure or the output you need to do a good job. Previous Karcher was smaller, nowhere near as effective. Worth paying the extra.
Old 22-04-2015, 21:46   #4
Senior Member+

I was looking more at the cheap black and decker version (£30)
The K2 is £100 the K4 is a extra £80 on that,they all seem pretty compact,but how can I justify the extra £150 just to clean the drive and car ...

I'll have to have a think and decide tomorrow.

password--Accyweb
Old 22-04-2015, 21:51   #5
Senior Member+

Go for it!
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 06:02   #6
Full Member+

I have a Nilfisk pressure washer which is great for most jobs. It came with a free patio cleaner which looks like a small hover mower and is probably the most useless item I have ever bought.

The spinner thing on the end of the wand is the tool for cleaning patios, removing chewing gum, tattoos, head lice and stripping paint.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 09:26   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I was looking more at the cheap black and decker version (£30)
The K2 is £100 the K4 is a extra £80 on that,they all seem pretty compact,but how can I justify the extra £150 just to clean the drive and car ...

I'll have to have a think and decide tomorrow.
£30??
You can spend more on an electric toothbrush which would probably do the job quicker and better!
How much do you spend on your camera, computer, phone?
A good jet spray has many uses- drives, patios, garden furniture, cats, gutters and barge boards,small children who kick their balls in your garden, fences(takes all the algae off, saves repainting them and the plants), cold callers, car(up to a point). Many more.
Go for a good one,it'll do the job and last you.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 23-04-2015, 18:18   #8
Senior Member+

I'm even more undeceive than ever,I've been advised by a neighbour who has a k2 to stay clear of Karcher washers as they have a tendency to go faulty (rubber rings spitting and temperamental power switch) whereas the nelfisk are allegedly a good all rounder.

I'm not after taking the fur off cats,popping kids footballs at 20paces or playing SAS with salepersons,I just want a reliable machine that going to save elbow grease
I've just forked out £250 for a metal detector ..I may go for a refurb pressure washer if I can find a cheap one failing that it's a electric toothbrush

password--Accyweb
Old 23-04-2015, 20:06   #9
Senior Member+

We have a cheap (under £50) Mac Allister pressure washer from B&Q, had it about 18 months now with no problems, powerful enough for my needs and came with plenty of extra tools that I haven`t had any need for.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 08:30   #10
Senior Member+

Thanks for the pointers folks,I've made my mind up (well our peg did) and gone with a refurb,the K4 (with extended warranty) from https://www.karcheroutlet.co.uk/prod...ct.asp?id=5096.
Hopefully,it won't take the paint off my car or the fur off the neighbours cat

password--Accyweb
Old 24-04-2015, 11:40   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

If you have large flat surfaces like paths to do the patio cleaner with the spinning arm are really good. Mine is a Karcher and it makes easy work of cleaning paths and concrete. The jet is contained in the unit so you don't get as wet yourself. You can use them on walls as well without all the spray bouncing back at you.

Someone above said they are rubbish, must be a naff one or using it wrong because the couple I've used are great.
Old 24-04-2015, 12:05   #12
Senior Member+

i agree with Neil, I've been pleased with mine although the Nelfisk gets good reviews but then they both do.
If it doesn't come with the T250 patio cleaner order one-they're brilliant and so much quicker and more effective. And as he says you don't end up as wet as the patio which you do using the jet.
The recon units look like new, faulty ones returned for repair and sold as recon? Not that much cheaper though. £149 with the T250 and 12 months warranty,.
One other thought- always lie it down when using it. If it's stood up and you pull on either of the hoses it will fall over. Sods law says it will land on a bit sticking out and if that's an inlet or outlet connection you have a problem as someone I know found out to their cost!

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 24-04-2015 at 12:09.
Old 24-04-2015, 13:53   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
i agree with Neil, I've been pleased with mine although the Nelfisk gets good reviews but then they both do.
If it doesn't come with the T250 patio cleaner order one-they're brilliant and so much quicker and more effective. And as he says you don't end up as wet as the patio which you do using the jet.
The recon units look like new, faulty ones returned for repair and sold as recon? Not that much cheaper though. £149 with the T250 and 12 months warranty,.
One other thought- always lie it down when using it. If it's stood up and you pull on either of the hoses it will fall over. Sods law says it will land on a bit sticking out and if that's an inlet or outlet connection you have a problem as someone I know found out to their cost!
Thanks for the tips I got told the same about not using them stood up...
...No broken rubber rings or faulty power buttons then?
I try to avoid my neighbour as he always tries to show off with new items that he's bought,I stupidly asked him for his opinion when I seen him doing his drive with the K2 version....he'll have a industrial power washer on wheels when he see's my K4
maxthecollie and Lucysgirl like this.

password--Accyweb
Old 25-04-2015, 09:08   #14
God Member

quick tip on the rubber rings problem .... treat it like a tortoise and insulate well when putting away over the winter, seriously.

The problem with seals blowing is that frost gets in to them and they go hard and fracture, as soon as you put it under pressure at the first bit of Easter sunshine they pop. Doesn't happen every time, or with every brand, but that is the main problem. So put them in a box, wrap them up and leave some lettuce in the shed for it.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 25-04-2015, 09:49   #15
Senior Member+

Another tip, don't leave them switched on when not in use, even for a short time.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..