Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-07-2015, 14:43   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Sewing person needed.

Russell I've contacted my cousin's wife and she does not do button holes. It was worth a try
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-07-2015, 15:11   #17
Senior Member+

Thank you Frank.
Worth a try.
Old 20-07-2015, 15:47   #18

Gremlin it is clear from the replies to your apparently simple question that you have demonstrated how skills that were both common and easily accessed have now become difficult to find. Whilst I cannot point you at a particular person I do have two suggestions which might help.

1) If you have a local professional or amateur theatre group try to contact the person who looks after their costumes they may be willing and able to help, they often have to alter clothing.

2) Look around for someone who has a fairly modern sewing machine and is willing to spend a few minutes practising. When my parents were down-sizing in the 80's my mother decided to replace her old and trusty Singer sewing machine with a modern table-top one which could be packed away when not in use. I can remember some of her comments as she worked her way bemused through the half inch thick manual which described all the 'clever' things it could do., one of these was button-holes. If you can find someone with one of these machines there is a good chance they have not fully read its manual and are unaware of its full capability.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 16:17   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Thank you Frank.
Worth a try.
I'll PM you Gremlin and put you in touch with Jack Gee, well known around town. Ex McKno's tailor retired now but still does the odd job or three.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 10:45   #20
Senior Member+

Thanks DtheP.
Im dropping the jacket off with him later.
I bet I will know him when I see him, I had a few suits made at McKno's years ago.
And thanks to everbody else for their suggestions.
Old 21-07-2015, 10:47   #21
Beacon of light

Glad you are sorted Russell.
Gremlin likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 11:28   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Thanks DtheP.
Im dropping the jacket off with him later.
I bet I will know him when I see him, I had a few suits made at McKno's years ago.
And thanks to everbody else for their suggestions.
Most people know Jack, top geezer.
Old 22-07-2015, 08:03   #23

Too right he’s a top geezer. Was my husband’s best mate when they were in their prime. He was his Best Man at our wedding, has visited us here in South Australia and we stayed a few days with him and Dorothy in 2012. Often talk on the phone.
cashman, DtheP47 and Gremlin like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2015, 09:15   #24

Apparently there is a man on Rawtenstall market who does alterations etc, a friend of mine has recently taken an old suuit to be altered to him. Not Hyndburn I know but thought it might help!
lavenderpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 08:20   #25
Senior Member+

Jack has made the button hole for me Dotti.
He said news travels fast and now half of Australia knows.
I had a few minutes chat with him and you were mentioned.

Also thanks to DtheP for suggesting I contact Jack.
Old 24-07-2015, 08:42   #26

Hi Gremlin. Good that Jack was able to make the button-hole for you. It's certainly a small world, you just never know who knows who....

...and I'll bet he didn't mention any of the things him and his nibs got up to in their misspent youth.
Old 24-07-2015, 08:57   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Hi Gremlin. Good that Jack was able to make the button-hole for you. It's certainly a small world, you just never know who knows who....

...and I'll bet he didn't mention any of the things him and his nibs got up to in their misspent youth.
Just shows dotti, i have known jack since i worked wi him in 1963, never knew he was a tailor,in a previous life. n dorothy i went junior school with, small world as yeh say.
Old 24-07-2015, 09:26   #28

Hi Cashman. I thought that Jack was always a tailor, didn't know him to be anything else but.

Did you also know that he was a boxer when he was in the army, and was a brilliant bebopper in his youth. His nibs tells me that on one occasion the whole ballroom (Rawtenstall Astoria) stopped to watch Jack strut his stuff - lots of happy memories.
Old 24-07-2015, 09:34   #29

Talking of dancing, music and so on, I used to tell my kids the music they listened to was rubbish - until they pointed out that songs in my era included such as 'Ooh Bop She Bam She Doodlebop'....enough said! Now I'm REALLY showing my age.....
Old 24-07-2015, 09:37   #30

...and as usual I've wandered off thread and this has nothing at all to do with sewing a buttonhole.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..