Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should TV license fee be scrapped?
Yes. 17 94.44%
No. 1 5.56%
Not bothered. 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2015, 12:18   #31

Re: Should the TV License be scrapped?

I wasn't insinuating anything. Just asking a question because of your use of the term goon squad, a term used by those people who post those videos. I have seen those videos too. It's not a job I would like, what with the amount of abuse they have to take. Why did you call them goon squads?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-09-2015, 12:27   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I wasn't insinuating anything. Just asking a question because of your use of the term goon squad, a term used by those people who post those videos. I have seen those videos too. It's not a job I would like, what with the amount of abuse they have to take. Why did you call them goon squads?

because they lie to gain access to peoples property and trick people into signing admissions of guilt

until they gain access to your house the only information they have about you is that you havnt purchased a tv licence for that property they have no idea and no way of proving you are using a tv until they see it with their own eyes so use lies to gain access to your home

even the police have to have a warrant these people just claim they have the super power of entering peoples homes which puts them above the police if true.

they dont get too abusive to men they do like to throw their weight around with people such as young single mums though and see poverty stricken areas as a good source to keep their fine rates up

thats my opinion of them and its not just formed from youtube clips iv seen their shady and bullying tactics up close and boy did his attitude change when he realised there was a man in the house

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:49   #33

I don't pay for a TV licence either.Im 84,so I get it free,but I would still pay for my licence as I prefer the crap on the Beeb to the crap on ITV.I have a system where I can record all the programmes I am interested in and fast forward through all the adverts.Its the adverts that are the problem, not the TV licence.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:56   #34
God Member

the internet has made the bbc irrelevant you can get access to tv shows from all over the world for free

older folk may not be bothered or fussed but the new generation and upcoming generations dont need the BBC.The bbc know this and it is why they tried also getting a internett licence enforced as well as a tv licence a few years back on the grounds that amongst the billions of websites in the world someone british might click on theirs

they lost that one but they keep tweaking it in the hopes of getting their own way

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 09-09-2015, 12:57   #35

The beeb does not have adverts due to the license but ITV do? - so this tells me that IOTV and all other channels that have adverts should be license free.
However they are not, they are all covered by the license, so it is only the beeb that "does not have adverts" which is actually wrong - it does but all beeb adverts, adverts for whats on the beeb.

Again this is why shy+ (or tivo) is a boon so that they can all be ff through.

I'm shortly going completely broadcast free and will be cancelling my license if everything works right, the savings will enable me to get a decent media player and vpn to stream tv instead.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 13:07   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
The beeb does not have adverts due to the license but ITV do? - so this tells me that IOTV and all other channels that have adverts should be license free.
However they are not, they are all covered by the license, so it is only the beeb that "does not have adverts" which is actually wrong - it does but all beeb adverts, adverts for whats on the beeb.

Again this is why shy+ (or tivo) is a boon so that they can all be ff through.

I'm shortly going completely broadcast free and will be cancelling my license if everything works right, the savings will enable me to get a decent media player and vpn to stream tv instead.
trust me on this is your thinking of buying one of those boxes that say you can watch hundreds of movies and tv shows dont buy one they all use kodi which is free.Theres even a simple user ready vesion you install to android or pc called tvmc that has channels preloaded

once you get used to it you can add more tv plugins with thehlp of free online tutorials on youtube and websites with forums like this that will answer questions and help

you can even watch live uk tv on kodi with a time delay so your not watching a live broadcast

that of course is if you are buying one of those rip off boxes

ps: the ones that plug into your hdmi port and look like a usb stick can blow your tv AV board up they have very poor quality power supplies

extra ps:

before you buy a vpn have you tried simply changing your dns to open dns in your router it dosnt get around all blocks but has worked on a a lot of sites that my internet provider says they dont want me to see

dont mean to sound patronizing i have no idea of your skill level or age etc just offering some advice that you may or may not need or want lol

Last edited by accyman; 09-09-2015 at 13:12.
Old 09-09-2015, 17:20   #37

Cheers, it looks like it will be an Amazon fire stick and I'll be putting Kodi & blackbox on for now.
The only problem is getting one, everywhere seems to be out of stock so it will have to be Amazon themselves I think.
And next year we will upgrade top a full media box with more bells & whistles, led's & sockets lol

I didn't know you could do that with the TV, sounds a good idea and I bet the licensing will be after me if I forego the license - but I'm not going to openly discuss not having one on here if\when I scrap it.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 17:41   #38
God Member

if you run kodi from your laptop or pc to your tv you dont need a tv licence just pull the arial out the back and they cant do jack.Just dont renew and wait for the letter they send saying you dont seem to have bought another license and sign the bit saying you no longer need one

they will then send a letter saying they may send a person round to check

last time i checked you are under no obligation to let them enter your home

i let them in once and the time after that i slammed the door in his face

i dont need the BBC and im not breaking any current laws but please check for yourself i dont want you getting caught out over something minor :-)

Last edited by accyman; 10-09-2015 at 17:47.
Old 10-09-2015, 20:32   #39
JFT96

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
you can even watch live uk tv on kodi with a time delay so your not watching a live broadcast

Not questioning your motives, but according to the TV Licensing website, that is not true.
Quote:
Do I need a TV Licence if I watch a programme on a delay?

Yes you do. If the programme is being shown on live TV, you need a TV Licence to watch or record it. If the device or technology you’re using to watch the programme causes a delay between when the programme was shown and when you watch it, you’re still receiving live TV.
Live TV means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it’s being shown on TV or an online TV service.
If you only ever watch on demand programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on live TV.
If your going to give advice about breaking a law, regardless of views about it, better to get the facts.

Although I pay my license fee, i do sometimes wonder why

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 21:36   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post

Although I pay my license fee, i do sometimes wonder why
Maybe because you're honest?
Old 10-09-2015, 23:20   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Not questioning your motives, but according to the TV Licensing website, that is not true.

If your going to give advice about breaking a law, regardless of views about it, better to get the facts.
i did say
Quote:
i dont need the BBC and im not breaking any current laws but please check for yourself i dont want you getting caught out over something minor :-)

Old 10-09-2015, 23:33   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Maybe because you're honest?

bbc say im not crooked as far as tv licence goes but you seem to know better

next time they call i might just let them in to see if they want to run things by you before giving me the all clear

the world is changing in fact it has and in a big way regarding media.If the BBC want to insist on keeping their current system they are going to have to get government to make new laws for them or they could always earn their money like every other tv company has to

Last edited by accyman; 10-09-2015 at 23:36.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:28   #43

Quote:
bbc say im not crooked as far as tv licence goes but you seem to know better

next time they call i might just let them in to see if they want to run things by you before giving me the all clear

the world is changing in fact it has and in a big way regarding media.If the BBC want to insist on keeping their current system they are going to have to get government to make new laws for them or they could always earn their money like every other tv company has to
I was responding to Boeing Guy's comment about sometimes wondering why he paid for his TV licence. You weren't even in my thoughts when I did so. Don't be touchy. It's not all about you, you know.

Last edited by Michael1954; 11-09-2015 at 06:32.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:12   #44

Quote:
if you run kodi from your laptop or pc to your tv you dont need a tv licence just pull the arial out the back and they cant do jack.Just dont renew and wait for the letter they send saying you dont seem to have bought another license and sign the bit saying you no longer need one
From the TV licencing website:
Quote:
You need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. This is the case whether you use a TV, computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device.
So if you're watching or recording something that is being shown simultaneously on terrestrial freeview, regardless of where the signal is coming from, you need a licence.

Quote:
i dont need the BBC and im not breaking any current laws but please check for yourself
In order
  • not relevant
  • yes you are
  • I did

The government's use of the licence fee income is not relevant - if you watch or record any of the freeview channels, including the +1 and +24 channels, as they are being broadcast (either live or time shift) you should have a TV licence.

If you go onto the BBC iPlayer website and browse through the old programs that are available, you won't have any questions raised. As soon as you click on a "watch live" link, you get a popup asking if you have a tv licence.

I've been campaigning in the family to get rid of our TV licence because we watch about three hours of live TV per week, and it's all dross. My son watches youtube channels, I watch archived shows from back when TV was worth watching (c**p - I've turned into my dad), my wife watches some daytime TV if she's trying to wind down after a bad shift at the hospital and my stepson just has rubbish on for the background noise. I reckon we could get all that off the internet.

Incidentally, if anyone is planning to try to circumvent the licence requirement by using the internet as the source for live TV, you should probably take steps to anonymise your connection. The way the licensing team "get" you is if you grant them access to your premises, or if they can see your TV through a window. The so-called detector vans don't work. However, using your internet connection leaves a data trail that can be used as proof of what you were watching. I've no idea if they would actually go to such lengths to prove their case, but it's worth noting.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:53   #45
Senior Member+

There must be easier ways of saving £2.80/week.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..