Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2016, 14:40   #1
Resting in Peace

Washing machine dilemma

Our hotpoint washer is 8 years old and works fine
But the tray where the soap goes has broken off at the side and has to be replaced
But you can't just buy the drawer you have to buy the full front panel
This costs £116 from hotpoint
Now with the washer being 8 years old do I just replace the panel and risk the machine not breaking down anytime soon or do I buy a new washer?
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-01-2016, 14:45   #2

Re: Washing machine dilemma

Try a quiet word with the guys at the local dump/recycling centre.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 15:01   #3
Senior Member+

Just use tablets e.g. Ariel Liqui Tabs that go in the drum with the washing, then you don`t need the drawer, or have a look on ebay some on there for a few quid.

Last edited by gpick24; 05-01-2016 at 15:06.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:02   #4
Senior Member+

Mick, the water feeds into the soap tray so you need it in place.
Get one of the two part adhesives(Aroldite?) , two tubes in a pack, they set like rock when you mix them.£3 or £4.
Give the tray and the side a thorough clean,stick the side on with them, put plenty of glue on the inside then it doesn't interfere with the drawer fit in the washer. Don't put too much setting agent in, it thins the adhesive down, you want it nice and thick. So let it set for a full day to be sure.
I've repaired all sorts of things with that stuff, it's really strong and sticks to anything.
Then use tablets or capsules as gpick 24 suggests so you don't need to move the drawer again.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 05-01-2016 at 16:12.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:11   #5
Beacon of light

I use Washing liquid. But put it in a dispenser in the drum......They come on the screw top of Surf liquid.
I think Gordon's solution is top drawer......sorry couldn't resist that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 16:54   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Mick, the water feeds into the soap tray so you need it in place.
Get one of the two part adhesives(Aroldite?) , two tubes in a pack, they set like rock when you mix them.£3 or £4.
Give the tray and the side a thorough clean,stick the side on with them, put plenty of glue on the inside then it doesn't interfere with the drawer fit in the washer. Don't put too much setting agent in, it thins the adhesive down, you want it nice and thick. So let it set for a full day to be sure.
I've repaired all sorts of things with that stuff, it's really strong and sticks to anything.
Then use tablets or capsules as gpick 24 suggests so you don't need to move the drawer again.
The bit of plastic only has a very thin edge to stick onto the door then the soap dispenser sits in another very thin bit of plastic" _| "like this poor design molded out of one bit once it snaps very hard to grip until it sets

Last edited by Mick; 05-01-2016 at 16:58.
Old 05-01-2016, 17:17   #7
Senior Member+

It's hard to say without seeing the bits.
Don't use it as an edge to edge glue like Loctite. If you can build up a layer between the two bits where it won't catch on other parts.
Another solution is to leave the drawer out and seal the hole or seal the remains of the drawer in place with silicone rubber.
I never use the drawer, I just use tablets.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 17:56   #8
I am Banned

Try some "Hard Plastic Glue" from Wilkinsons Mick to stick the edges, use masking tape to support the assembly until it sets. Then use the new wonder moldable glue Sugru to reinforce the inner wall. Sugru has a short shelf life so check before you buy (Wilkinsons again) and go for the pack with the longest shelf life because that does affect its properties. As GB suggests give it a good clean first, acetone or nail polish remover. Good luck.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 18:47   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Oh dear, you've just suffered loose slates and things wetting everything. Now you can't wet anything because of this. Perhaps it's time you did the lottery it's a roll over, your luck has got to improve.

If not you can bring your smellies over here I'll bung them in for you.

They forced me to wear the wig, the glasses are my own mistake.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 19:42   #10
Beacon of light

Now then Mick...that's an offer you can't refuse...someone else doing the washing!
Old 05-01-2016, 20:17   #11
Resting in Peace

I think the wife will have a say on this
Just found out she also has a say on the washing machine repair too
shillelagh likes this.

Last edited by Mick; 05-01-2016 at 20:21.
Old 05-01-2016, 20:59   #12
Beacon of light

I know what I would do.....it would be a trip to a certain white goods shop....or better still AO.
At least that way you know that you are not going to be faced with further expensive breakdowns.
My current washer is 15 at the end of this month.....I keep waiting for it to go on the fritz.....then I would get a quieter model with a larger load capacity and a faster spin speed.
I really do hope I haven't jinxed it by saying that(she said, rubbing her hands and smiling)
Old 05-01-2016, 21:39   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Try some "Hard Plastic Glue" from Wilkinsons Mick to stick the edges, use masking tape to support the assembly until it sets. Then use the new wonder moldable glue Sugru to reinforce the inner wall. Sugru has a short shelf life so check before you buy (Wilkinsons again) and go for the pack with the longest shelf life because that does affect its properties. As GB suggests give it a good clean first, acetone or nail polish remover. Good luck.
If you use normal PVC insulation tape with araldite the tape peels off the araldite when it's gone hard. You can use it to hold the glue where it would normally run off and to make fillets with the glue to give more strength to 2 glued pieces
Old 05-01-2016, 21:58   #14
I am Banned

That's the problem using Araldite Neil, it is runny for want of a better word. Hard plastic glue melts and fuses the pieces with less drips. Remember Airfix kits and that glue?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 21:59   #15

Washing machines – tell me about them! So frustrating. My machine works brilliantly – that is when it wants to! When it’s not in the right mood it will do a cycle or two and then stop, refusing to budge no matter how much I plead with it.

Switched off and given a break, on being restarted it will then come to the party and perform like a trouper. This is usually after I have threatened to throw it and given it a few kicks at the risk of breaking a toe or two.

I decide I will have to replace it but then it goes well so I change my mind – that is until it has the sulks again. It has become a battle between woman and machine and this woman does not like to be beaten – when I win I savour the victory as I hang out the spoils.

In the meantime I find myself talking to a bleeding machine……
DaveinGermany likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..