Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2016, 07:44   #16

Re: Site of Broughtons Plumbers Merchants Paradise Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Retlaw would probably have been able to assist yeh, but some saddos banned him.
Why was he banned?

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2016, 08:00   #17
Full Member+

My wife works at PALS.
Some years ago a colleague of hers was working alone, late one evening when she heard the sound of someone whistling a tune. The lady went out of her office to investigate and saw a man wearing old-fashioned clothes and a flat cap "disappearing" down the corridor.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:12   #18
Beacon of light

There were many stories about 'presences'...'sightings' whatever you want to call them, on what was the new wing at Blackburn Royal Infirmary. This has been demolished and houses built on the land....I often wonder if any of these houses are affected by those presences which were seen (or felt) when the hospital was there.

some people are sensitive to such things....sort of 'tuned in'...others are not.
For those who are not, these things are difficult to believe or understand.
I could tell you tales which would curl your hair!

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-03-2016 at 08:15.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:17   #19
Junior Member+

It was the mill that went up in flames, not Broughtons (see my original post). Broughtons moved to Hyndburn Road about 30 years ago after being on Church Street (I concede that they were on Church Street not Paradise Street, but the building as it is now built - Accrington Pals Health Centre, is on Paradise Street), hence my mistake.

What I'm trying to establish is if there were any fatalities in the fire at the old mill, before it became Broughtons and that this may go someway to explaining away the presences myself and colleagues are experiencing.

Many thanks for your efforts.
Owd Akela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 21:03   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owd Akela View Post
How old is this brigade member as Broughtons had been on Paradise St at least 50 years.
not correct broughtons was on hyndburn road where the margram garage is and moved on to the paradise street location in the 80's possibly 90's

near the viaduct and the last time i looked a cafe was their show room and just up the road which was an old cinema was their tile storage and tile show room

in the early 80s teh paradise street or pals doctors location was EJ rilies snooker table making place if im remembering correctly then taken over by richard and patricia who owned broughtons

on the very top floor of the building there was a little room with lift access that they kindly left a pool table behind and we played pool at dinner times

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 10-03-2016 at 21:10.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:22   #21
Senior Member+

The original factory on the site of The Pals was built c1834 and was known as Broad Oak Mill (New Factory/Wellington Mill)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:14   #22
Beacon of light

I really don't get why Owd Akela wants this information.
What will knowing how many casualties of this fire do to help with her(and her colleagues) feeling of a ' presence'?
If you are feeling a presence the just accept this.....or ignore it.
Or if it really bothers you so much then seek out a member of the clergy to dismiss this presence(though I am not sure that approach works).
If the presence is peaceful then go about your business and let it go about its business.

Now for all those who do not believe in such things I have had my card marked as 'nutter'...but that is nothing new and is something I am quite happy to live with.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:04   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have been asked to pass on :-
Without access to station log books it is something that cannot be answered accurately.
That Broughtons was NOT on paradise St....it's address was Church St.
That Broughtons were not there for 50 years, they were on Hyndburn Rd near the corn mill.
The person I am in contact with tells me that Broughtons were not in that building when it went up in flames.

I can only tell you what is relayed to me.
That you are feeling some sort of presence may have nothing at all to do with this incident.
The presence may pre-date this fire.
I am sure that buildings have been on this site for many many years....and that means that people would have occupied them.
i only said paradise street location so the person posting knew what i was referring to but yes its actual address was church street if you wanted to get a letter to them. I said margram but your source says corn mill which leads me to believe your source was carbon dated

hi walter

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 11-03-2016, 11:20   #24
God Member

ps:

wasnt the old site for broughtons on hyndburn road used by firemen to run practice drills im sure i saw them doing it when i was growing up like they do practice runs on the arndale now

i await carbon dated verification lol :-)

Old 17-03-2016, 07:57   #25
Junior Member+

Just a quick thank you for the map. There are indeed parts of the mill that overlaps with the PALS building.
Owd Akela is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..