Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By maxthecollie
  • 3 Post By Mog
  • 2 Post By Gremlin
  • 1 Post By keith higson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2016, 17:42   #1
Senior Member+

Imperial pub

I think the pub was the Imperial but it's on the corner of King Street and Blackburn road.
My question is "What has it been turned into"?
It looks like a lot of money has been poured into the place to renovate and sandblast.

I was told by somebody in the shop today it was government funded but that's only hearsay.
Old 25-07-2016, 17:52   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Imperial pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I think the pub was the Imperial but it's on the corner of King Street and Blackburn road.
It looks like a lot of money has been poured into the place to renovate and sandblast.

I was told by somebody in the shop today it was government funded but that's only hearsay.
Well, what do you mean by Government funded?

By the way which shop?

Quote:

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 18:02   #3
Senior Member+

I've no idea what they meant Less, They just said they had heard it was Government funded and I said it was only hearsay.
I was just asking if any forum member had any idea.
I have searched the planning sites on line but have not come across anything. It's probably a while since they were published if it change of use.

I should have said "a shop" not "the shop".
The "shop" being the Skipton building society.
Old 25-07-2016, 18:18   #4
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I've no idea what they meant Less, They just said they had heard it was Government funded and I said it was only hearsay.
I was just asking if any forum member had any idea.
I have searched the planning sites on line but have not come across anything. It's probably a while since they were published if it change of use.

I should have said "a shop" not "the shop".
The "shop" being the Skipton building society.
Not really a problem, I was just saving you from a smart arse comment from some person such as me.

As for Government funded, if it was pre-brexit we'll never see the same again!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 18:26   #5
Senior Member+

I'd still be interested in what its function will be when it re-opens.
For no other reason than I go past once a week and I saw the boarding being removed and I'm a nosy so and so.
I'd never been in the pub.
Old 25-07-2016, 22:11   #6
Senior Member+

I heard a rumour about it being turned into flats
Gremlin likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 03:59   #7

I believe it was a popular and good pub a while ago,then it became a regular for the Irish community and fights were always on the menu.
I heard the same rumour as maxthecollie,possibly to be turned into flats Hopefully more up market than the ones down Edgar Street.
boxermum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2016, 07:11   #8
Mog

The weekend just gone I stayed at Pilkintons Hotel over the road from the old Imperial. The lady from the hotel said they are going to be flats.
cashman, wadey and Gremlin like this.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 09:38   #9

A PLANNING application has been submitted to Hyndburn Borough Council to convert part of the former public house The Imperial on Blackburn Road.

Applicant Mr David Greenblatt of Newgreen Estates, Prestwich, proposed a change of use to the site which would see the ground floor of the building converted into four residential apartments.

The office at the now vacant ground floor of the pub, situated at 122 Blackburn Road, Accrington, would be turned into a bike store under current plans.

LET 210316
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 09:48   #10
Senior Member+

Thank you wadey.
I wonder if there will be allocated parking nearby.
I wouldn't want to cycle around Accrington, it's like whacky racers.
wadey and maxthecollie like this.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:27   #11

Quote:

If my memory serves me correctly (mind you its over 50yrs since I lived in Accrington) "The Imperial" pub was on Blackburn Rd on the Church Side of the Railway Viaduct, next to Joe Mortimers Dance Hall .
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:48   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
If my memory serves me correctly (mind you its over 50yrs since I lived in Accrington) "The Imperial" pub was on Blackburn Rd on the Church Side of the Railway Viaduct, next to Joe Mortimers Dance Hall .
Nah Keith twas further on,same side but top of King St, Next to Joe Morts was The Big Crown.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:45   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Nah Keith twas further on,same side but top of King St, Next to Joe Morts was The Big Crown.
Spot on Cashy
Old 05-08-2016, 01:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well cut my legs off and call me shorty fancy mistaking the two pubs. Thanks Boys for correcting mistake. I never drank at the imperial and as for The Big Crown I was thrown out or asked to leave quite a few times.

PS I have just " googled" the area, its changed dramatically since I once roamed the pubs etc. Ah sweet memories I never thought that I would miss the old town after 52 years away. You can take the boy out of the town but never the town out of the boy.
cashman likes this.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:48   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
Well cut my legs off and call me shorty fancy mistaking the two pubs. Thanks Boys for correcting mistake. I never drank at the imperial and as for The Big Crown I was thrown out or asked to leave quite a few times.

PS I have just " googled" the area, its changed dramatically since I once roamed the pubs etc. Ah sweet memories I never thought that I would miss the old town after 52 years away. You can take the boy out of the town but never the town out of the boy.
That would be Bernard that threw yeh out,? Frank took oer from him about 50 yrs ago i think.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..