Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2016, 06:54   #1

Where do people put it all?

I was just wondering, after visiting Asda a few times in the run up to Christmas....seeing the overloaded trolleys being pushed,pulled and cajoled out of the place.'Where do people put all the food they've bought when they get it home'?
OK, I know where it goes EVENTUALLY, but where do they store it before consumption?
When I do my 'normal' big shop,I struggle to pack it away fully,so i can't work out where twice,three,or more times worth of shopping gets stored.Any ideas gratefully received as it's got me stumped.
boxermum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-12-2016, 11:25   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Where do people put it all?

In todays society much of it in the bin.
Old 28-12-2016, 14:06   #3
Beacon of light

I shopped as if it was a normal weekend. I bought nothing extra...well apart from a bottle of sparkling wine which was to be part of a Christmas gift.
We ate sensibly...with nothing much out of the ordinary.himself had a whisky and coke on Christmas Day. I haven't had any alcohol at all
Gone are the days when we stuffed our faces and couldn't move afterwards. This was not a comfortable feeling and didn't make Christmas more enjoyable.
I suppose we have learned sense. I have thrown no food away(the leftover mash, carrots and spring greens was turned into ' bubble and squeak' and I ate that up on Boxing Day).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 01:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I shopped as if it was a normal weekend. I bought nothing extra...well apart from a bottle of sparkling wine which was to be part of a Christmas gift.
We ate sensibly...with nothing much out of the ordinary.himself had a whisky and coke on Christmas Day. I haven't had any alcohol at all
Gone are the days when we stuffed our faces and couldn't move afterwards. This was not a comfortable feeling and didn't make Christmas more enjoyable.
I suppose we have learned sense. I have thrown no food away(the leftover mash, carrots and spring greens was turned into ' bubble and squeak' and I ate that up on Boxing Day).
I quite agree Margaret,Christmas is but ONE day when we celebrate the birth of Jesus. We also ate a sensible ( just a bit more than usual)meal,no alcohol the luxury being a few choc's whilst watching tv.Why do people buy to excess, eat to excess and then throw so much in the Bin?.
Before the chorus start singing 'scrooge,scrooge', I know it's different for the kids,more special and magical,and anyway it's the adults who scoff and drink till it comes out their ears.
Plus,the shops were only closed for one Day!
Old 29-12-2016, 16:56   #5
Senior Member+

Nowt goes to waste at our house, the turkey and ham were bought a couple of weeks ago and were in the freezer, of course we had a big buy in for Christmas, the kids and grand kids, 12 of them, were here on Christmas day for dinner and anything left went either in to soup or butties for the next couple of days, or, like Margaret, went into the frying pan. Only bones went into the rubbish.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 18:28   #6
Senior Member+

Today people were coming out with trolley's full of food/goods - back in the day before the relaxation of retail laws Christmas was an 8 day holiday and it was hard to find a shop open for that period in between Christmas Eve and 2nd of January, apart from off licences, so we had to stock up.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 19:02   #7
Beacon of light

And back then(well, in my day) we did not have fridges or freezers.
We managed, we survived despite the fact that few shops were open.
taddy likes this.
Old 29-12-2016, 19:20   #8
Senior Member+

Well it was cold enough then to keep your turkey fresh - didn't it snow every year back then - I'm talking 60's and 70's though you might be earlier than that?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 20:27   #9
Beacon of light

Yes, it seemed colder back then. We wore as many clothes to go to bed as we did to go to school. And we made ice lollies on the bedroom window ledge...on the inside!
Old 29-12-2016, 21:21   #10

Ah, the good old days. Nowt like going to the outside lav with a torch when it's been snowing.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 02:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Ah, the good old days. Nowt like going to the outside lav with a torch when it's been snowing.
Did you have a small oil lamp under the water pipe to stop em' from freezin' Up? .Dad shouting down the yard " Mek sure yer shut lavvy door properly," see....we weren't that poor..central heating in th' outside lav..
Old 30-12-2016, 08:20   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, it seemed colder back then. We wore as many clothes to go to bed as we did to go to school. And we made ice lollies on the bedroom window ledge...on the inside!
All the patterns on the glass inside.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 12:00   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermum View Post
Did you have a small oil lamp under the water pipe to stop em' from freezin' Up? .Dad shouting down the yard " Mek sure yer shut lavvy door properly," see....we weren't that poor..central heating in th' outside lav..
That's brought back memories! Yes, we also had an oil lamp which my dad put in the toilet. I remember the smell of it. Happy days!

We also had, ahem, chamber pots.

Last edited by Michael1954; 30-12-2016 at 12:02.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 16:52   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Well it was cold enough then to keep your turkey fresh - didn't it snow every year back then - I'm talking 60's and 70's though you might be earlier than that?
1947 - sledging down Oswald St, snow banks at the side of the street high enough to build igloos - everyone cleared the snow from in front of their houses, fantastic for us children until someone came out and scattered ashes across the street. Great memories.
Old 30-12-2016, 21:06   #15
Senior Member+

I remember sledging down Oswald St, got a bit dicey crossing Washington St though.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..