Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2017, 12:09   #1
Senior Member+

Bus Fares?

I'm interested to know bus fare prices these days just in case I visit Accrington sometime soon and just out of interest to see how expensive it's probably become these days. I can't remember how much it was back in the day but wasn't that much.

What's it cost these days for:

Accy to Blackburn

Accy to Whalley

Accy to Burnley

Down in London it's £1:50 for bus ride no matter how long if it's on the same bus that is. If you get off and get another bus within one hour the 2nd bus journey is free.

Buses no longer take cash and every one has to have what's called a Oyster Card - you top up in news agent's, stations and using credit cards and scan it when you get on the bus. Is there anything like this in the Hynburn area these days? Do they still take cash? Thanks...

Last edited by kestrelx; 22-04-2017 at 12:15.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2017, 13:21   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Bus Fares?

Can't tell you the cost of the journeys you mention.
No Oyster cards to my knowledge...but more people seem to be using smartphones with their ticket on it.
I think the flat rate fare is a good idea...they do that in some cities in Australia.
The tickets are Zoned so if you go more than a certain level of zones you have to pay the extra.
We used the trains a lot to get into Melbourne and had been paying tram fares in the city....not knowing that our train ticket gave us free access to trams and buses within the city.(and back then it also allowed cheaper fares on the ferries to Williamstown too - if my memory serves me right)
We did a lot of travelling on the buses and on the trains, the services were prompt, clean and good value for money.
Trains in Sydney were double decker.
Although we were not residents we qualified for cheaper tickets on the buses after a certain time...a bit like here.
The buses here take cash.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 15:10   #3
Full Member+

Sorry I cannot help you KestrelX as I have a bus pass....well at least until the forthcoming election.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 16:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I'm interested to know bus fare prices these days just in case I visit Accrington sometime soon and just out of interest to see how expensive it's probably become these days. I can't remember how much it was back in the day but wasn't that much.

What's it cost these days for:

Accy to Blackburn

Accy to Whalley

Accy to Burnley

Down in London it's £1:50 for bus ride no matter how long if it's on the same bus that is. If you get off and get another bus within one hour the 2nd bus journey is free.

Buses no longer take cash and every one has to have what's called a Oyster Card - you top up in news agent's, stations and using credit cards and scan it when you get on the bus. Is there anything like this in the Hynburn area these days? Do they still take cash? Thanks...
I am glad that I still live in Huncote, can't be doing with all this needing an Oyster, Visa, Debit card or whatever, one of the worst things the government of this country did, was to do away with the "Truck Act"; that specified that all working people must be paid weekly by the coin of the realm.

Your's Taddy, an old Luddite, Lancashire Lad.
kestrelx and cashman like this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 17:49   #5
God Member

On the Transdev buses Kestrel you can get an adult day rover ticket for £4.40, pretty much does what it says on the tin & cheaper than buying individual tickets for each journey & yes, they definitely do still take cash
kestrelx likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 07:52   #6
Mog

I live in Hythe Kent.
Bus from Hythe Kent to Dymchurch Kent = 5 Miles. Bus Leaves at 08.26 and arrives at 08.38. Cost £4.00. Single
OR
From my house to the next bus stop = .90 pence.
From my house to the second bus stop =.90 pence then its add another 45 pence to every bus stop en route to Dymchurch. I have a bus pass. But if you want to go via The Hythe to Dymchurch light railway its £10.00 return.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 12:54   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I am glad that I still live in Huncote, can't be doing with all this needing an Oyster, Visa, Debit card or whatever, one of the worst things the government of this country did, was to do away with the "Truck Act"; that specified that all working people must be paid weekly by the coin of the realm.

Your's Taddy, an old Luddite, Lancashire Lad.
Yeah because we all want to walk round with £100's in our pockets on pay day.

I find it much easier and safer using my phone to pay for a pint of milk and loaf of bread in Tesco Express than messing about with money.
Old 23-04-2017, 12:55   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Sorry I cannot help you KestrelX as I have a bus pass....well at least until the forthcoming election.

Times are hard and savings need to be made
Old 23-04-2017, 13:04   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I find it much easier and safer using my phone to pay for a pint of milk and loaf of bread in Tesco Express than messing about with money.
And infinitely more annoying to us "Luddites", who prefer paying with real money!
Old 23-04-2017, 13:33   #10
Beacon of light

Neil, not everyone has smartphones(in some cases of those who do, the phone is smarter than the person carrying it).
I prefer to pay with money. I distrust your method of payment....and yes I know there is counterfeit money out there.
Old 23-04-2017, 14:39   #11
Full Member+

I use 'real' money too Margaret. Ar least when I do a weekly shop I know exactly what I can spend and I do not have a fit at the end of the month when a statement arrives.We have never had a credit card and never will. We know exactly where we are with our finances and have never been in debt. If we need anything we save up till we can pay for it or we do without. Might be old fashioned but it works for us.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 15:03   #12
Beacon of light

Yes, I am afraid that I fall into that category too.
This way you know if your purse is empty you have spent up.
I have both a credit card and a debit card.
The credit card is used very rarely and the balance paid off at the end of every month(most months there is no balance to pay).
The debit card was originally to guarantee cheques. I use this to pay some bills.
Other than that I use money.
Old 23-04-2017, 15:10   #13
Beacon of light

As for bus passes...I would be quite happy to use a bus pass that required a flat rate fare.
I often travel before the bus pass can be used so I frequently pay my fare.
I do not expect to get something for nothing, but then I still pay taxes which contribute to the subsidised fare..So it is not FREE.

I get no other perks for being of pensionable age. I pay dental charges.
I take no prescribed meds...yes I can have a free eye test each year, but it is four years since my last one.
So the government do not give me very much
Old 23-04-2017, 15:18   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I always pay cash wherever i can, i detest using a card, but have got to in some instances.
Old 23-04-2017, 16:23   #15
Beacon of light

I think it must be generational Cashy.
We are not the smartphone generation, even though some of our generation have smartphones, we are unlikely to use them for paying for things as we were brought up with the tangible value of cash.

I had to get a credit card when I spent 6 months in Australia.
Hotels will not accept bookings if you do not have a credit card.
It is routine for them to swipe your card and keep a copy of the details until you check out.
This is to make sure they can get any charges that have been incurred during your stay.
Also booking flights in Australia would not have been possible without a credit card, but since my return I have used it very little.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 23-04-2017 at 16:26.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..