Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2017, 16:47   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Bus Fares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
On the Transdev buses Kestrel you can get an adult day rover ticket for £4.40, pretty much does what it says on the tin & cheaper than buying individual tickets for each journey & yes, they definitely do still take cash
I remember back in 70's they had the Runaround train ticket you could go anywhere in certain area that included the Lake district as much as you wanted everyday for 5 or 7 days for a flat fee, back then I think it was about £6? But don't quote me on that price! - I don't know if they have that still, but it was only for trains.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-04-2017, 16:59   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Can't tell you the cost of the journeys you mention.
No Oyster cards to my knowledge...but more people seem to be using smartphones with their ticket on it.
I think the flat rate fare is a good idea...they do that in some cities in Australia.
The tickets are Zoned so if you go more than a certain level of zones you have to pay the extra.
We used the trains a lot to get into Melbourne and had been paying tram fares in the city....not knowing that our train ticket gave us free access to trams and buses within the city.(and back then it also allowed cheaper fares on the ferries to Williamstown too - if my memory serves me right)
We did a lot of travelling on the buses and on the trains, the services were prompt, clean and good value for money.
Trains in Sydney were double decker.
Although we were not residents we qualified for cheaper tickets on the buses after a certain time...a bit like here.
The buses here take cash.
I remember last time I was up there I thought the bus fares were a bit expensive compared to London.

They could have a similar system in the Hynburn area like Oyster card and have a flat fee, no matter how long you travel on one bus. In London if there is one bus that goes all the way across London it's still £1:50 no matter how many zones you go through and how long it takes and if you get off and on a 2nd bus in 1 hour the 2nd ride is free. All the buses aren't run by the same company down here but are over seen by one body, Transport for London.

I remember back in the day, in Accy you had to state your exact stop when you got on to pay the correct amount and if you stayed on too many stops over what your ticket said you could be in trouble if an inspector got on, I think drivers actually used to shout to people that they should get off if they passed their stop back in the good old days - that is still how it is up north but not down here, I suppose as they still take cash up there you still have to pay different amounts for where you intend to get off.

Last edited by kestrelx; 27-04-2017 at 17:01.
Old 27-04-2017, 17:11   #18
Beacon of light

When I was little you could get one of those runaround train tickets for twenty one shillings for an adult, ten and sixpence for children...and children under five travelled free.
My Ma used to get us up early every day and for a week we would be stood on the platform waiting for a train to the seaside...Ulverston, Grange over Sands, Southport, St Anne's...we didn't go to Blackpool as there were too many things that you could pester your Ma for.

We once got on the wrong train coming home and a very kind Guard put us on a milk train home...needless to say we needed no rocking to get us to sleep and it was well after midnight when we got home.
They were very happy days.
Picnic, meat paste butties, Kia ora to drink and a banana if we were lucky.
kestrelx and DaveinGermany like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 18:26   #19
Full Member+

What lovely memories Margaret. Pity most of todays children will not have those because they are just stuck in on their ipads.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 18:42   #20
Beacon of light

Yes, I feel like I had the richest childhood, even though we were poor.
It was poor in financial terms, but rich in experiences...and you cannot put a price on experience.
Old 27-04-2017, 19:08   #21
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
meat paste butties, Kia ora to drink
Eeh, Kia ora, used to get that & a box of chocolate toffee poppets out of the vendys at Liverpool Lime street station when we'd go on day trips with our Mum when we were wee snipes! Aye, happy days indeed

As to meat paste butties, they figure quite often for me baggin on work days still.
Old 27-04-2017, 19:20   #22
Beacon of light

It was either Shippams beef paste or sardine and tomato(yeeuk).
We rarely had bought food...although at some seaside resorts we used to,get a jug of tea which was half a crown, but you got two bob back when you took the jug back.
If we were very flush( meaning that the gas meter had been emptied and a good rebate obtained) we could be seen sharing a bag of chips
Old 03-05-2017, 15:20   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
When I was little you could get one of those runaround train tickets for twenty one shillings for an adult, ten and sixpence for children...and children under five travelled free.
My Ma used to get us up early every day and for a week we would be stood on the platform waiting for a train to the seaside...Ulverston, Grange over Sands, Southport, St Anne's...we didn't go to Blackpool as there were too many things that you could pester your Ma for.

We once got on the wrong train coming home and a very kind Guard put us on a milk train home...needless to say we needed no rocking to get us to sleep and it was well after midnight when we got home.
They were very happy days.
Picnic, meat paste butties, Kia ora to drink and a banana if we were lucky.
My brother and myself also once got on the wrong train going North when we wanted to head back home... I think we had the meat paste butties but food wasn't that important back then - in that I don't remember it being that much of a priority when we went on journey's, perhaps a bar of fruit and nut chocolate was the favourite fare or mars bars and a packet of 10 fags (on rare occasions)!

There was program on the news few days ago about buses being cut in rural areas because councils can't afford to subsidize them!

Last edited by kestrelx; 03-05-2017 at 15:24.
Old 13-05-2017, 14:27   #24
Senior Member+

I can tell you its £2.60 from Accrington center(castle I get on) to hare and hounds in clayton-le-moors. not been to blackburn/burnley on bus for a while tho
Old 13-05-2017, 18:15   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post

There was program on the news few days ago about buses being cut in rural areas because councils can't afford to subsidize them!
Probably because we have to spend too much keeping prisoners that deserve less in humane conditions.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 21:00   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

It was £1.70 from Knuzden to Oswaldtwistle Civic which isn't very far. I was on one of the new Pennine Reach busses about 9.30am. I was the only passenger and that bus runs 4 times an hour. Two got on in Oswaldtwistle both using free passes. Makes you think that bus should run less often and go to some of the places subsides have been cut to instead.
kestrelx likes this.
Old 14-05-2017, 18:54   #27
God Member

its all going to be free when corbyn wins right lol ?

well he has promised everything else so why not haha
hilleluk likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 19:20   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

He is almost a communist isn't he so we will all be equal and get free bus passes, we'll be able to park where want, oh want a minute, people park where they want in Accrington already
cashman and hilleluk like this.
Old 14-05-2017, 22:29   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
He is almost a communist isn't he so we will all be equal and get free bus passes, we'll be able to park where want, oh want a minute, people park where they want in Accrington already
oh Neil one can but only dream of been treated as equally as an immigrant or a minority

mind you there is a loop hole where if you say your in the wrong body and dont like your penis very much you can get a bit of extra special treatment
hilleluk likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:34   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Not sure we should be talking about extra special penis treatment on here

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..