Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Dave
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 2 Post By wadey

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2017, 08:34   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Burnley Building Society?

Can anyone remember this society? i need to know what happened to it, if they were bought out by someone? ta,
Old 05-12-2017, 09:20   #2

Re: Burnley Building Society?

It was turned into National &Provincial which then turned into Abbey National finally Santandair,Ime pretty sure anyway!
cashman likes this.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
It was turned into National &Provincial which then turned into Abbey National finally Santandair,Ime pretty sure anyway!
My morgage started life with the Burnley, and ended up with Santandair (who locally are in the old Abbey National premises). I don't remember the N&P being involved but it could well be right, I was deeply distracted by 'other things' during the volatile period when things changed faster than some peoples socks so my lack of a N&P memory is not a surprise either way.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:34   #4
Beacon of light

I think Big Dave has it just right Cashy.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:44   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Cheers Dave me memorys knackered these days.
Big Dave likes this.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:04   #6

Quote:
We bought our house through The Abbey National Building Society in 1960.The mortgage repayments were paid into the Midland Bank on Blackburn Road.
Accyborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:39   #7

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The National & Provincial Building Society was a mutual building society based in Bradford, England. It was established in 1982 by a merger between the Provincial Building Society and the Burnley Building Society.

On 5 August 1996, Abbey National took over the National & Provincial
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 21:41   #8

I know my sister left Paddock House in 1965 and got a job there. In those days you had to sit bank exams to get in. She worked at the head office and once took me to see the computer. It took up most of one floor and had less memory than a calculator today. It did become National and Provincial and they had this really naff jingle on their advert but I thought they were swallowed up by or became the Nationwide.
Old 09-02-2018, 22:58   #9
Full Member+

Big Dave is absolutely right. We started out with Burnley Building Society and are now with Santander.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 11:22   #10

https://flic.kr/p/6q9w4d
cashman and Big Dave like this.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 18:11   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Ta very much Wadey.
Old 15-02-2018, 21:34   #12
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
I rather think the main picture here is the Borough Building Society not the Burnley Building Society. The Burnley was further in the distance.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..