Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2021, 18:53   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Whatever Has Happened To Sausages?

I only ask because normally I stab the hell out of them stick 'em under the grill, onto a couple of lumps of bread and chew.
Today, I noticed a difference, I was reading the instructions on what can and can't be recycled amongst the ridiculous amount of packaging (remember the days we bought them and they simply came in a wrapping of grease proof paper from the butcher) Anyhow, whilst squinting at the tiny printing that is mandatory on all such articles, I noticed the cooking instructions, mainly:-
FOR BEST RESULTS DO NOT PIERCE THE SKIN
(no I'm not shouting just making sure you can read it).
Surely the P.C. brigade hasn't enforced some rule against cruelty to sausages?
Anyhow I'd already pierced and cooked my sausages and we are both fine so I just wonder what is supposed to be different?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2021, 20:27   #2

Re: Whatever Has Happened To Sausages?

You know what?
I've just realised why more women are free to get full time jobs!
Back in time when as above we got things from the butcher to be used on that day, the ladies couldn't contemplate going out to work, it wasn't anything to do with the falsehood of being tied to the kitchen sink. It was because they spent most of their day queuing for daily supplies from the butchers, bakers and light bulb makers (more modern than candlesticks but because they were unreliable lasted about as long).
It was the introduction of the supermarket & the freezer that gave them the 'freedom' to work full time.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:47   #3

[QUOTE=Less;1255649]I only ask because normally I stab the hell out of them stick 'em under the grill, onto a couple of lumps of bread and chew.
Today, I noticed a difference, I was reading the instructions on what can and can't be recycled amongst the ridiculous amount of packaging (remember the days we bought them and they simply came in a wrapping of grease proof paper from the butcher) Anyhow, whilst squinting at the tiny printing that is mandatory on all such articles, I noticed the cooking instructions, mainly:-
FOR BEST RESULTS DO NOT PIERCE THE SKIN
(no I'm not shouting just making sure you can read it).
Surely the P.C. brigade hasn't enforced some rule against cruelty to sausages?
Anyhow I'd already pierced and cooked my sausages and we are both fine so I just wonder what is supposed to be different?

I have always assaulted, Stabbed, Pricked my bangers before sticking them under the grill for the simple reason that it stops them banging, (bursting),I really must read the the instruction next time I may have been doing in wrong for the last sixty years or so.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:30   #4

Same for me, always stab them before cooking, in some cases when the sausages are a large size, I slightly nick them with a sharp knife, two strokes on each size.

Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 17:46   #5

Thank you for the response, it is reassuring to know that it's not just me that treated sausages in a horrific manner just to get the perfect butty, but, neither of you have answered the question, what has happened to sausages, why is it now safe to cook minced meat in intestines in fact better, to do so (according to instructions) without pricking them & how come therefore they don't go bang?
Old 03-08-2021, 17:56   #6

[QUOTE=Less;1255689]Thank you for the response, it is reassuring to know that it's not just me that treated sausages in a horrific manner just to get the perfect butty, but, neither of you have answered the question, what has happened to sausages, why is it now safe to cook minced meat in intestines in fact better, to do so (according to instructions) without pricking them & how come therefore they don't go bang?

I have heard a theory that some of these frozen, ready wrapped bangers are not enclosed in animal intestines as they used to be but instead are encased in some sort of man made substance; whether this is right or not I cannot comment.
Old 03-08-2021, 18:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post

I have heard a theory that some of these frozen, ready wrapped bangers are not enclosed in animal intestines as they used to be but instead are encased in some sort of man made substance; whether this is right or not I cannot comment.
Perhaps so, but these weren't frozen, they were supposedly high quality what the butcher made for the supermarket.
Old 03-08-2021, 18:46   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Must admit to being a puncturer of the sossy, tends to stop them going all explosive in the frying pan. As to the reasoning behind not giving them a good stabbing I can only assume it's some kind of B&Q, DIY conspiracy!

If you blow yer sossys up & end up scraping them off the kitchen surrounds you're going to have to re-decorate at some point & that costs you, follow the money, so yeah, it's a conspiracy.
taddy likes this.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:01   #9

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1255700]
If you blow yer sossys up & end up scraping them off the kitchen surrounds you're going to have to re-decorate at some point & that costs you, follow the money, so yeah, it's a conspiracy.
What! not another one.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:16   #11
Beacon of light

Unless a sausage is guaranteed organic, the casings are synthetic...man made...usually from collagen.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 15:06   #12

Just been down to the supermarket and took a moment or two to look at sausages. I didn't find any that suggested you should not prick them. In fact by comparison with other products there was in general little advice given, mainly can/cannot freeze, make sure cooked all the way through. Didn't look at all the sausages but did look at enough to suggest 'don't prick' advice was rare if existant at all in this supermarket.
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 16:42   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
Just been down to the supermarket and took a moment or two to look at sausages.

There's a few Pubs & clubs you might get better results from if that's what scratches your itch mate!

(PC can kiss my hoop!)
Old 04-08-2021, 16:51   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
What! not another one.

Most serpently! Conspiracies abound my dear Tadster, you need to check your Ale mate, it's called Hobgoblin for a reason, come closer while I whisper you the horrible truth ..... come on, come here, lean in a bit (quick shufty round the room ...ok) it's distilled Hobby widdle mate .... shush shush, don't go spitting it all over the shop, yeah a fella down the boozer told me & he "worked" for the "Sunday Sport" so it must be true!
taddy likes this.
Old 04-08-2021, 17:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
yeah a fella down the boozer told me & he "worked" for the "Sunday Sport" so it must be true!
I know the guy your talking about!
Well, when I say I it’s not someone I’ve actually met but a mate of my cousins ex wife’s tarot card reader has dreamed about him.
And he reckons that guy from the Sunday Sport had his own pencil sharpener supplied by the company, a rumour was started that he broke the blade putting the rubber end of the pencil in by mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..