Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Springhill Spot
Donate! Join Today

Springhill Spot A forum running in conjunction with Springhill Spotlight. Give your opinions on what is happening in your area. Air your views and grievances. Put forward ideas on how we can improve Springhill

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2004, 08:06   #1
mez
God Member

new springhill school

the new school opens after the easter holidays, still not sure what they are doing with the old one yet, has anybody any ideas as to what might be happening to it ?
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2004, 09:29   #2

Re: new springhill school

I understand it is to be demolished. This info was given to me last week at the open-night at the old school.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2004, 10:13   #3
Caz
God Member

The older part of the school building is being demolished. The newer Annex hopefully is going to be put to some sort of community use.
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2004, 14:27   #4
mez
God Member

yea but wot are they going to do with the land wot the school stood on /// yet another car park?
Old 28-03-2004, 15:02   #5
Caz
God Member

Think the latest idea is to put the the play area there, (the one that was originally supposed to go on Fairfield St). Not too sure though.
they've changed their ideas so many times, I've lost track...
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2004, 15:05   #6
mez
God Member

mmm nothing new about that then cazz
Old 13-05-2004, 11:10   #7

Unhappy Re: new springhill school

i used to go to springhill school and i heard off an old techer that they are knocking it down!! did anyone else used to go? do you remember their centenary in the paper? i was in that picture it was only 4-5 yrs ago! i dont want them to knock it down it was a brill school!
Old 09-06-2004, 16:43   #8
Resident Waffler

It still is a brill school Becki and the new school building is even briller. Come and have a look when there's an open day.
WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2004, 10:39   #9
Resting in Peace

i was asked to put these pics on for you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3a.jpg (57.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 4a.jpg (69.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 5a.jpg (43.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 6a.jpg (56.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 7a.jpg (55.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 8a.jpg (45.8 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 9a.jpg (54.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 10a.jpg (47.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 11a.jpg (46.5 KB, 80 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2004, 11:29   #10
mez
God Member

thanks mick nice one:thumbs up: shows the school in the process of being built, ive got one or two of when its been finished, sorry not developed them yet
Old 21-08-2004, 18:18   #11
Senior Member+

Sorry to ask but are they building the new school on the site of the old one or somewhere else? My sister went to springhill juniors when we lived on Richmond Rd and I used to go to the Boys Brigade across the street at Springhill methodists, is that still open?

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2004, 20:09   #12
Resident Waffler

The new school is fully operational. It has been built on the opposite side of Exchange Street to the old school. Obviously the children still had to attend the old school whilst the new one was being built. It's very modern compared to the old building(s) with computers in every classroom and interactive whiteboards instead of the old chalkboards. The hall has excellent acoustics - meaning you can actually hear what the children say in assemblies without them having to shout and their little voices getting lost up in the height of the ceiling. The lighting is partially provided by reflective tubes which come down through the roof to bring in the daylight, very impressive.

Reception, Infants and Juniors are now all in the one building. Previously reception class was way over in Hannah Street and one of the Junior classes was housed in a "temporary" prefab hut in the schoolyard.

How long ago did your sister go to Springhill Juniors? Do you know who was head teacher then?

Springhill Methodists is still there, but that's also in a modern building adjacent to the old church which is now a snooker hall or something similar.

Last edited by WillowTheWhisp; 21-08-2004 at 20:10.
Old 22-08-2004, 02:01   #13
Senior Member+

No idea who the head was as I was at Rhyddings at the time and of course you took no notice of your younger sister or her friends. I think she started in 67 till about 71 I could be wrong, as for the Methodists the old church was a carpet warehouse of something and we were in the building next door but were told "its only temporary" just think that was 35yrs ago!

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 16:43   #14
Resident Waffler

I remember it being a carpet warehouse. The building the church currently occupies looks too good to have ever been temporary. I wonder if it's the same one.

Old 03-01-2006, 19:12   #15

Just found this thread. I was over in Accy last May and my brother and I took a trip round the old neighbourhood. Yes, Springhill has finally been torn down. I was a bit sad as I enjoyed my time there. I was from the Arncliffe Ave area. The Headmaster at the time was Mr. Berry. and I remember Miss. Hindle and Miss Kellett. Also, Mrs. Taylor was my next door neighbour.
Theres not much left of the "Woods" now. I used to spend hours playing in them.

Joan
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..