Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Springhill Spot
Donate! Join Today

Springhill Spot A forum running in conjunction with Springhill Spotlight. Give your opinions on what is happening in your area. Air your views and grievances. Put forward ideas on how we can improve Springhill

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 22:30   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Anyone from Fern Gore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Makes me smile evey morning when they say schools have been closed, never happened in our day JCB
Its pathetic, used to have proper winters n can NEVER remember school being closed. remember being told to keep our coats on cos heating was off.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:52   #62
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Its pathetic, used to have proper winters n can NEVER remember school being closed. remember being told to keep our coats on cos heating was off.
If the school bus wasn't running ya set of a bit earlier and walked to school, with a few snowball fights along the way
Old 02-12-2010, 10:46   #63
JCB

Quote:
If the school bus wasn't running ya set of a bit earlier and walked to school, with a few snowball fights along the way
In a way you could say that kids have never had it so good . On the other hand we could be nurturing a future generation I would not like to describe .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:51   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
In a way you could say that kids have never had it so good . On the other hand we could be nurturing a future generation I would not like to describe .
Well its great for the Cotton Wool makers JCB
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01   #65
JCB

Quote:
Well its great for the Cotton Wool makers JCB
That sums it up .

Forget the grit , just give us bags of cotton wool .
Old 06-12-2010, 15:18   #66

lives up fern gore on broadfield road been up here about 15yrs, a bit of snow tho and the area comes to a standstill lol x
natasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:04   #67

Smile Re: Anyone from Fern Gore?

hya i live up f/g on 40 broadfield rd long time ago great times (David Barnes)
bobbinsbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 13:25   #68
Junior Member+

I lived up F/G at 35 Rimington Ave.,From 1945 to 1969,my mum, Edna, lived there 'til she died in 2002.I've known snow half-way up the front door but the school never closed.(Sringhill then Woodnook)I loved it,we had a great time.Many families used to sledge downt' back a Sheep Coyts Farm 'til after dark.Very happy memories.
barry thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 13:52   #69
Junior Member+

I lived up F/G at 35 Rimington Ave., aged 2, from 1945 'til 1969,my mum Edna lived there 'til she died in 2002. I remember snow half way up front door but school never closed(Springhill infants and juniors then Woodnook).We kids had a great time.All families used t'sledge downt' field at back a Sheep Coyts Farm 'til well after dark.This was in the 50's.Very happy times.
barry thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 16:28   #70
Full Member+

Trying to think which house you lived in. I left there after I got married.
We lived at #30
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 19:03   #71
JCB

For anyone interested in Fern Gore there is a photograph of Dunnyshop Farm in this week's Accrington Observer .
It's amazing . Next to the photo it reads : " DUNNYSHOP FARM IN THE 1050s. I never knew we were so far advanced when I lived up there .

Apologies for my useless attempt at photography .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 471.jpg (273.1 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by JCB; 28-03-2013 at 19:07.
Old 29-03-2013, 19:12   #72
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
For anyone interested in Fern Gore there is a photograph of Dunnyshop Farm in this week's Accrington Observer .
It's amazing . Next to the photo it reads : " DUNNYSHOP FARM IN THE 1050s. I never knew we were so far advanced when I lived up there .

Apologies for my useless attempt at photography .
Now then, Fern Gore. That brings back some good memories to me. Last time I was up there was about 1964. I havn,t got a clue what the roads were called but I used to go out with a lass called Maureen Wallace. Lived on the very last road at the top I think. Her brother was called Roy Wallace. Nice lad used to drink with him now and again down Accy. Cashy will know him as he was mates with Pat Varley. Used to Pop in that Pub on left hand side of the main road past Fern Gore, Is it an extension of Willows Lane. Its been a long time ago.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 20:03   #73
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Now then, Fern Gore. That brings back some good memories to me. Last time I was up there was about 1964. I havn,t got a clue what the roads were called but I used to go out with a lass called Maureen Wallace. Lived on the very last road at the top I think. Her brother was called Roy Wallace. Nice lad used to drink with him now and again down Accy. Cashy will know him as he was mates with Pat Varley. Used to Pop in that Pub on left hand side of the main road past Fern Gore, Is it an extension of Willows Lane. Its been a long time ago.
Yeh used to mate wi Roy n Pat n Trev (Brian Trevithick) Pats long gone now, Roys in a electric buggy, Last i heard of Trev he had moved oer Padiham, Lived Blackburn Rd across from sacred heart n worked Huncoat Pit.
Old 29-03-2013, 20:17   #74
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
The pub would be the Red Lion , now no longer a pub .

The pub further up into Green Haworth , the Shoulder of Mutton , also now no longer a pub .
Old 18-03-2014, 20:38   #75
Full Member+

Just going thru some old memories reading these
Julian Dearden likes this.
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..