Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 18:08   #1
Roy
Administrator

Post Digital Set Top Boxes

"Hmmmmm" I thought as once again there was nothing on beeb1, 2, itv or channel 4 and channel five was still transmitting the fuzz it always has done... "maybe it's time I got into this newfangled digital tv stuff..."
So off I popped to currys and picked up a little silver box for £70squids and wham - loads of digital channels, a few radio stations and other goodies, no monthly payment and I finally find out channel five doesn't only transmit fuzz, it transmits rubbish fuzz.

Anyway - I is a happy chappy, anyone else got one of these?
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2003, 18:18   #2

Post Re: Digital Set Top Boxes

No stick to my SKY Digital Roy, its a must for all sports fans ( for me) movies fans ( for the missus ) and not forgetting cbeebies ( for the kids )
Old 08-10-2003, 18:29   #3

I have sky digital, and im subscribed to almost all the channels  8) There is a monthly charge, but who cares when you not paying for it . . .  
Old 08-10-2003, 18:58   #4
I am Banned

yep.. its now about 40 quid a month.. just under.. the sky mag ya get free every month..well I dont even open it anymore.. just dump in bin.. sports is great on it.. films... But paramount is probably the one I watch most... Love american comedy.. hate most english comedy... the benny hill type mentality .. Have telly next to pooter just in case.. but mostly play music.

Theres a soul music channel on sky.. that does me

HarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 21:11   #5
Junior Member+

sky is way overpriced now, had it since it came out and now spend £40 a month to watch same old films for a week at a time, sports a load of rubbish not enough motor sport
lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 06:21   #6
Caz
God Member

Got Sky Digital(basic package) in one room. That's £18.50. Don't need the films & sport.

I've also got freeview. Did a free trial with On (ITV) Digital a couple of years ago. Told them I'd decided I didn't want it and would they please collect the box.
They never did. So when freeview started I already had a box.

I think its good. News & music channels, radio channels. More channels hopefully added in the future.  
It's a good alternative for people who don't wish to have a monthly payment, and the boxes are getting cheaper.
If they add a few more channels, might replace the sky with another one.  

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 13:09   #7
Senior Member+

I bought a freeview box a few weeks ago i like it it's a goodmans get good reception now on channel 5 like listening to the radio channels during day especially smash hits and for the sixties music it's got to bo MOjO great channel.
Old 09-10-2003, 21:21   #8

I bought a Goodmans freeview in the summer, and the children love TMC " the Music Channel" My good wife likes to watch Coronation St at all sorts of times of the day! and I just like to see them all happy.
"worth every penny"
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2003, 16:49   #9
Senior Member+

Had Sky now for the last 5 years.Great thing we even get Granada.Great way to keep up with the old country.Costs us 38 quid for the complete package a month.Sports and films.The business.Girls English has come on great guns since we got it.Nature and history programmes are great too.
Old 23-12-2003, 16:32   #10
Junior Member+

get a chipped 1 :
Old 23-12-2003, 19:28   #11
Senior Member+

Where am i gonna get achipped one in Germany???? Did it all legal through a company in Anglia.Have to pay them 6 .50 pounds a month but hey got the best deal i could and am watching English Tele abroad
Old 24-12-2003, 10:31   #12
Len
God Member

I once had one that was scratched, so i took it back and they replaced it.

[smiley=yelrotflmao.gif]

Sorry! I know this is not the place for jokes, but I could'nt resist

Donate to Accyweb here:
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2003, 10:39   #13
Senior Member+

Where do you get chipped sky digi box's from? and how much are they.
Old 24-12-2003, 11:19   #14
Len
God Member

I’m with NTL cable.
I pay about £53 per month, for that I get…

1 – 55mb of free web space (excellent)
1 – Digital set top box...£0.00
1 - Family pack…£28
1 - 600 kbps ntl broadband Internet…. £24.99

I once had all of the TV packs but now I haven’t, I swapped them for the broadband and still pay about the same. Besides I spend more time on my PC than I do watching TV.
The TV channels I do watch are usually free anyway.
Don’t you find you spend a lot of time just going through the TV channels list? (That does my head in).

Donate to Accyweb here:
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2003, 21:00   #15
Senior Member+

Prefer to keep it all seperate.Anyway if i did it like you Len on the phone line then Sky would know i have the card and the box outside of the UKand that is not allowed

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..