Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk
Donate! Join Today

Tech Talk Modern technology eh? Talk about it here! Please use the seperate forums for gaming or photography talk...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 20:21   #46
Senior Member+

Re: You Tube Downloads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
FLAC is such a godsend, at least you can store music digitally without losing anything in compression.
It certainly is!

I recently bought a SanDisk Clip+. I ordered a 32GB mem card to go inside it and it arrived today . But more importantly it is Rockbox supported.

There aren't many devices that are supported by Rockbox alternative jukebox firmware. Brings gapless to a handful of devices. I have an Ipod Classic that you can load with Emcore kernel and then run an unstable Rockbox but I think the hardware is starting to fail on it(had it 5 years) Rockbox even makes the Ipod Classic play 24/48khz FLAC files!
Boeing Guy likes this.
Old 01-01-2013, 20:35   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Just at the click of a mouse.
Im starting to think that you had some kind of program running you was not aware of. You said it went into RealPlayer library? Perhaps a RealPlayer plugin that has now been barred by google.

EDIT

Real player added a button to youtube. It was never part of the site that let you download

I am moderately surprised they still advertise this program and haven't yet been done for this feature

Last edited by Restless; 01-01-2013 at 20:40.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 21:40   #48
JFT96

We talked about Rockbox before, I too use a iPod classic, for the car amongst other things. I will have o try it on my iPod
All my music is in both FLAC and Apple lossless, which is a bit of a pain.....
Still

That's very naughty of Real to advertise a YouTube download. Sneaky

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 22:17   #49
Senior Member+

Make sure you backup your Ipod... Emcore will wipe it.
Old 03-01-2013, 15:52   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Absolutely could not agree more, I hated Real Player, I had no idea it was still out there, it also makes QuickTime look good...lol

I will check out Xbmc, cheers.
I agree quick time is rubbish I very rarely used it, except when a file could only be played using it back in the late 90's. But don't know how good it is on Mac products which I never use anyway - but seen it in use on a Mac computer and it looks more user friendly - perhaps the free one is not as good as the one people pay for? Perhaps...

Last edited by kestrelx; 03-01-2013 at 15:56.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:14   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
My 'bleating about it' is just advice for anyone reading to keep their PC as clean as possible. I don't particularly like its looks, though I think you can skin it. Its not about looks though. Its about file compatibility and the vast amount of files it will play. I download a fair bit of bootleg concerts (*roio*) and over the years they come in all kinds of weird formats. For example.. VIDEO_TS folders. Just right click and press "play in VLC" I can't think of any other programs that do that...off top of my head that is.

Well. For my media, I have a PC (HTPC) setup to my TV that boots to XBMC. I don't bother much with programs on my main machine to play music etc etc.

Because of storage limitation; I have thrown all the jewel cases from my CD's and I keep them in those DJ boxes. I rip all my CD's to FLAC and store them on the HTPC. XBMC scrapes the info for artists, albums, artwork and etc. You can get plugins that connect to sites like Grooveshark, Youtube... etc....XBMC can be quite excellent

Before anyone asks what ROIO is...

**The alternate terms ROIO or RoIO, an acronym meaning "Recording of Indeterminate Origin", or "Recording of Independent Origin", and VOIO or VoIO, an acronym meaning "Video of Indeterminate Origin", or "Video of Independent Origin", arose among Pink Floyd collectors trying to clarify the differences between counterfeits, illegally made copies, live bootlegs, and "ROIOs", meaning recordings whose legal status was difficult or even impossible to determine**
All the files I have on the Real Player now and in other places are "FLV" files which are Flash files. Now I didn't select that option they just seem to download spontaneously as that format. I like watching Real Player video's with music and or graphics

I don't use i-player or any external music file players - I still use CD's and also in some cases cassette's - I don't think I'm in a hurry to get an i-player or similar.

With Real Player (the free version) I just click on the Icon on the desktop, it opens click on Library and all the files are there in line in rows of 4 with icons - they can be arranged by date or alphabetical and you can search the data base - don't see there is a problem with it - easy to use etc.

Last edited by kestrelx; 03-01-2013 at 16:16.
Old 03-01-2013, 16:14   #52
JFT96

I don't use a Mac.
QuickTime is avaiable on PC's.

Old 03-01-2013, 16:15   #53
Senior Member+

Quote:
I don't use a Mac.
QuickTime is avaiable on PC's.
I know I've only ever used it on PC's.
Old 03-01-2013, 16:18   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Im starting to think that you had some kind of program running you was not aware of. You said it went into RealPlayer library? Perhaps a RealPlayer plugin that has now been barred by google.

EDIT

Real player added a button to youtube. It was never part of the site that let you download

I am moderately surprised they still advertise this program and haven't yet been done for this feature
That's a good point! It's possible it's something that's happened on the Real Player as it's a free version it could be a prompt to buy it?
Old 03-01-2013, 20:38   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
That's a good point! It's possible it's something that's happened on the Real Player as it's a free version it could be a prompt to buy it?
The program is breaking Google's TOS! Paid for or not It cannot(or rather it shouldn't) be able to download files from youtube. Most likely Google have blocked it somehow.
Old 04-01-2013, 16:51   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
The program is breaking Google's TOS! Paid for or not It cannot(or rather it shouldn't) be able to download files from youtube. Most likely Google have blocked it somehow.
Hark the upholder of Internet copyright law!

I bet you've done your fair share of ripping and nicking music in your time.
Old 04-01-2013, 17:29   #57
JFT96

Quote:

That's a bit libellous, no one has accused you of illegal downloading.

You will be accusing me next.

Old 04-01-2013, 18:08   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
I am actually starting to feel that I am flogging a dead horse with this one.

Nevertheless.

Google. The now owner of Youtube get contacted tons and tons and tons of times per day by companies like Warner Brothers, Virgin, SONY ETC. Because someone like you or me might put up a song. By this We are not doing something all that bad. But then again, Back in the day it was just cool to browse youtube. We are sharing with the world. Telling them what we like.

Then it became another means of downloading music. Streaming music doesn't hurt the record business(an opinion of my own not a fact) however the option to download from the site does because you are not buying the mp3(in case of those plugins that turn FLV into MP3) from the record companies. Hell I have had infraction for putting a cover version up of an REM song. This is not from Gooogle this is from the stinking record companies.

Google added a condition to their terms of service. You cannot use any other software to download. This is pretty tricky to avoid-- there are tons of ways you can connect to youtube and stream them to various devices. There is a very VERY fine line between streaming and downloading but major companies are making that line thinner by the day

Google
try their best to protect their users from what I gather. They don't add this condition to the TOS so they can make money. Its to protect them and to protect us the users. Without us Google would be nothing.

Real
A company that takes your information(or did at one point-- see what Neil said earlier) and then sells it on to other companies because you agreed to it in the disclaimer when you installed their garbage software!!

Quote:
Completely and utterly irrelevant to this discussion.

But to answer this(though it is covered earlier) 90% of my downloads are actually FLAC files from a site that people that tape concerts, upload them for others to listen to. I have mentioned before( and to you in PM ) that I am a collector of live bootlegs.
Old 08-01-2013, 18:07   #59
Senior Member+

I have uploaded music with BBC footage and certain things are blocked immediately others were on You Tube for over a year before I was given a message saying "copyright issues" but the vid was not blocked. It all depends if the material is part of a DVD that is being sold in the shops such as most Attenborough material and Brian Cox things - they are blocked immediately. News clips are not blocked or even acknowledged.

Also I have uploaded vids featuring music by big acts like Fleetwood Mac - this is blocked instantly. Other songs by lesser acts are not blocked - it all depends on the size of the artist and the record company. Likewise video's with big name music in the background can also be blocked instantly or a notice is sent to you but free access to the clip not blocked.

As for why I can't download like I used to it's either Real Player or restrictions imposed by You Tube in the last 9months.
Old 08-01-2013, 20:22   #60
Senior Member+

Of course it will be Google's restrictions. Real still advertise their product as a YouTube downloader(again stupid on their part)

I dunno the reasons for instant bannings. Must have something to do with past contact from obstinate record companies

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..