Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos > User Photos
Donate! Join Today

User Photos Got any interesting pictures? If you want to share them with us then post them here. Holidays, friends, whatever...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2012, 02:23   #1
Junior Member+

Accrington Pipe Band

Hi
I was a member of the Accrington Pipe Band from 1949 till 1967. During that time, in the many parades I took part in there where people popping out and taking pictures of the band as we pasted.
If anyone has any of these and there must be hundreds, I would love to see some, I would be much obligeded.
PiperAdrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2012, 08:37   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Accrington Pipe Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperAdrian View Post
Hi
I was a member of the Accrington Pipe Band from 1949 till 1967. During that time, in the many parades I took part in there where people popping out and taking pictures of the band as we pasted.
If anyone has any of these and there must be hundreds, I would love to see some, I would be much obligeded.
A long standing member of Accrington Pipe Band died only recently Frank Rosethorne and I working with a member for many years, Syd Stokes, who is sadly no longer with us, although I think his son still plays with them today
Old 22-02-2012, 08:43   #3
God Member

A member here, Burningman, was a piper with that band before he emigrated to California. His late father was a piper too.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 10:58   #4
Resting In Peace

Adrian, look at post 90 on the thread My early life in Accy 1946-1968 in the nostalgia forum.

The thumbnail on the right shows Whalley Road Congs walking day in 1965 I think. Going up Haywood road past the hospital. The pipe band is there, in the back ground, sorry it's the best I can do.

I am (was!) the young lady on the extreme left of the picture. The pipes used to scare me to death when I was a littl'un!
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 11:41   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

How on earth can the year of that walk be 1965 Susie? Ah stupid cashy, was looking at the little lass, yeh should have said young lady, penny may have dropped. lol

Last edited by cashman; 22-02-2012 at 11:44.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 11:43   #6

Not sure if this link will work, but I found these pictures on facebook!

Facebook

Trevor Stokes IS still the Pipe Major in the band (He used to be my step dad). I absolutely LOVED going around with the band when I was younger, and even learned to play the pipes and did highland dancing for them for a few years. Back then women weren't 'allowed' to be IN the band, lol! But it seems they have a good mix now with even young children....

Facebook

xx

http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/
'erindoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 11:52   #7
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
How on earth can the year of that walk be 1965 Susie? Ah stupid cashy, was looking at the little lass, yeh should have said young lady, penny may have dropped. lol
?? I did say young lady Cashy, perhaps I should have said young woman? I would have been 18.
Old 22-02-2012, 11:54   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'erindoors View Post
Trevor Stokes IS still the Pipe Major in the band (He used to be my step dad). I absolutely LOVED going around with the band when I was younger, and even learned to play the pipes and did highland dancing for them for a few years. Back then women weren't 'allowed' to be IN the band, lol! But it seems they have a good mix now with even young children....
So pleased to hear the band is still going. At least some things in Accy haven't changed...
Old 22-02-2012, 12:05   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperAdrian View Post
Hi
Knew Bernard & Andrew Johnstone,
John Tinnion, and the Pipe Major Roger Coldridge.
worked with Bernard for over 20 years,
Andrew now lives in America

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 18:07   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Knew Bernard & Andrew Johnstone,
John Tinnion, and the Pipe Major Roger Coldridge.
worked with Bernard for over 20 years,
Andrew now lives in America

Retlaw
Roger Colbridge lived at the top of our street when I was growing up he worked with my Father at T. & e Harrisons Joiners Straits and eventually bought the firm, his son Roger Jnr still lives up Stanhill Lane Ossy
Old 22-02-2012, 19:47   #11
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Roger Colbridge lived at the top of our street when I was growing up he worked with my Father at T. & e Harrisons Joiners Straits and eventually bought the firm, his son Roger Jnr still lives up Stanhill Lane Ossy
I remember Roger snr, he used to make lead soldiers and paint them as regiments from the Napoleonic Wars. We used to give him old lead type to melt down. He used to live at Straits next door to my uncle who had the sawmills after Tommy Brideoak.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 20:38   #12
Senior Member+

My uncle Alan Edwards and his son Roger used to be in the pipe band.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 09:04   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
I remember Roger snr, he used to make lead soldiers and paint them as regiments from the Napoleonic Wars. We used to give him old lead type to melt down. He used to live at Straits next door to my uncle who had the sawmills after Tommy Brideoak.
Roger and Tommy were partners until they went dump in the late 50s, my dad was still working there at the time Steve, Tommy then started up again on his own in his wifes name. I remember Roger making the soldiers. What was your Uncle called who took over from Brideoak?
Old 23-02-2012, 17:52   #14
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Roger and Tommy were partners until they went dump in the late 50s, my dad was still working there at the time Steve, Tommy then started up again on his own in his wifes name. I remember Roger making the soldiers. What was your Uncle called who took over from Brideoak?
My uncle is Glenn Leyland. He started as Tommy Brideoak's apprentice and bought the business from him in the 70's. He's now sold the business to the bloke that started as his apprentice.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 15:33   #15
Junior Member+

If you look on my album you will see a picture taken in 1957. I am not on it because I was away doing my National Service in the RAF.
jaysay: you will see Frank Rossthorne 3rd from left on back row and Syd Stokes on left, front row. Roger is in the middle front row.maxthecollie: Allan Edwards is 3rd from right on back row and son Roger is sat on the floor on the left. Retlaw: I never new Bernard & Andrew Johnstone, so they must have been after my time. John Tinnion is 3rd from right in front row. 'Erindoors: I also used to dance in band concerts as a teen. Trevor Stokes is the lad on the floor on the right. Yes he has been the Pipe Major for quite a while now. I have visited them a couple of times in the last 20 years.
PiperAdrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..