Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos > User Photos
Donate! Join Today

User Photos Got any interesting pictures? If you want to share them with us then post them here. Holidays, friends, whatever...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2012, 18:15   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Animal pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
That little dog was kept in a cage for nine weeks.
Some evil person threw her out of a car when she was tiny. We were asked to help by Hyndburn stray dogs but they didn't expect her to survive.
The vet almost put her to sleep but my wife nursed her back to health and cared for her night and day.
the reason for the cage, she had a broken pelvis and her paws were rubbed raw.
You should see her now 8 years later, running about like a good un. The home she went to thinks the world of her and brings her to see us every time they are in the area.

The other photo is one I took of a puppy my wife walked for the GDBA, one of eight she got through it's initial training and then it went to work with a visual impaired person.
The pictures were deleted in the original post, accidentally by Mick.
The post doesn't make sense without them so he has asked me to post them again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tilly.jpg (320.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg rasc1.jpg (163.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 17-09-2012, 19:38   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:

the first picture here is better than the one you posted first, more dog less cage.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 20:21   #18
Senior Member+

Glad you are taking notice Dave,it makes the effort worth it.
Old 17-09-2012, 20:24   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Pity you couldn't keep her as you have nursed her back to health.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 20:47   #20
Senior Member+

Yes we would love to have kept her, she went to a fantastic home.
The only way we could keep her was for my wife to pack in working for the uGD BA.
We had a guide dog puppy and a retired guide dog and they said another dog was too many to have around a young trainee puppy.
They allowed us to keep the injured Tilly until she was well enough to be rehomed.
My wife would have given up with the guide dogs if Tilly couldn't get a good home.
Old 17-09-2012, 20:55   #21
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Yes we would love to have kept her, she went to a fantastic home.
The only way we could keep her was for my wife to pack in working for the uGD BA.
We had a guide dog puppy and a retired guide dog and they said another dog was too many to have around a young trainee puppy.
They allowed us to keep the injured Tilly until she was well enough to be rehomed.
My wife would have given up with the guide dogs if Tilly couldn't get a good home.
Your lovely Tilly looks very like the Dogs Trust logo!
Old 18-09-2012, 14:35   #22
Senior Member+

Two more animal photos.

Rascal was a trainee guide dog, Pippa was a pug we had and Hannah was a retired guide dog which my wife had previously trained and they let us have her back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pip rasc.jpg (271.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Dscf0007.jpg (175.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 18-09-2012, 15:30   #23
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Two more animal photos.

Rascal was a trainee guide dog, Pippa was a pug we had and Hannah was a retired guide dog which my wife had previously trained and they let us have her back.
How lovely! There is a training centre and breeding centre at Leamington Spa and when we lived in nearby Warwick before coming to Lancs in 2007 we often used to see puppy walkers and people out training dogs in the town centre. A heart warming sight.
Old 18-09-2012, 16:02   #24
Senior Member+

The centre near here is at Bolton.
The one at Leamington Spa is a breeding centre.
A lot of guide dogs are trained and then kept as breeding stock.
They are all homed with people near Leamington Spa, the reason for that is so they can be taken into the centre when they are ready to be mated.

Some of the puppies which are born there are moved on to other training centres such as Bolton. They are usually only six weeks old and go out to the puppy walkers within a day or two after they have been checked over.

The puppy walker has to get the puppy injected a few weeks after, all vet bills are sent direct the GBDA.
The food is free but the puppy walker has to buy the bed and bedding and any bus or train fares they spend during the training. They are expected to take the puppy on the public transport.
Old 18-09-2012, 16:39   #25
Resting In Peace

Quote:
The centre near here is at Bolton.
The one at Leamington Spa is a breeding centre.
A lot of guide dogs are trained and then kept as breeding stock.
They are all homed with people near Leamington Spa, the reason for that is so they can be taken into the centre when they are ready to be mated.

Some of the puppies which are born there are moved on to other training centres such as Bolton. They are usually only six weeks old and go out to the puppy walkers within a day or two after they have been checked over.

The puppy walker has to get the puppy injected a few weeks after, all vet bills are sent direct the GBDA.
The food is free but the puppy walker has to buy the bed and bedding and any bus or train fares they spend during the training. They are expected to take the puppy on the public transport.
Thanks for that insight, it must give people a great deal of satisfaction to get a little scrap of a puppy to a stage where it can go on to full training. I expect it's quite fun too, though it must be a wrench when you have to let them go.
Old 18-09-2012, 17:34   #26
Senior Member+

The puppy should be nearly fully trained when it leaves a puppy walker, if the puppy walker just wants it for a pet and doesn't put any effort into the job then there is a chance it will not make the grade when it goes back to the centre.
My wife used to stand by workmen digging holes etc so the puppy got used to noise. Then took it through busy stores or even through the hospital, they always allowed it.
She would ask policemen to talk to the dog and rattle the handcuffs, there is a lot to the job that people don't understand. I couldn't have done it but did try to help. I was working away a lot. My wife had to put up with all the mess and sickness, wash the bedding and mop up. I used to take them to the station and drive to the next one so the puppy could get used to trains.
You are right about letting them go, both of us got a bit tearfull but they kept us informed of its progress. We never knew where they finished up though. The person who got the trained dog would know our address and it was up to them whether they contacted us or not.
Not all did.

Another thing about Leamington Spa, useless information, a boxer called Randolph Turpin lived there before he committed suicide. His family ran a guest house, I stayed there when I had been to A P motor products in the town, a company you will know. It was early 70's last time I went.
Told you it was useless information.

Last edited by Gremlin; 18-09-2012 at 17:36.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 18:18   #27
Resting In Peace

Quote:
The puppy should be nearly fully trained when it leaves a puppy walker, if the puppy walker just wants it for a pet and doesn't put any effort into the job then there is a chance it will not make the grade when it goes back to the centre.
My wife used to stand by workmen digging holes etc so the puppy got used to noise. Then took it through busy stores or even through the hospital, they always allowed it.
She would ask policemen to talk to the dog and rattle the handcuffs, there is a lot to the job that people don't understand. I couldn't have done it but did try to help. I was working away a lot. My wife had to put up with all the mess and sickness, wash the bedding and mop up. I used to take them to the station and drive to the next one so the puppy could get used to trains.
You are right about letting them go, both of us got a bit tearfull but they kept us informed of its progress. We never knew where they finished up though. The person who got the trained dog would know our address and it was up to them whether they contacted us or not.
Not all did.

Another thing about Leamington Spa, useless information, a boxer called Randolph Turpin lived there before he committed suicide. His family ran a guest house, I stayed there when I had been to A P motor products in the town, a company you will know. It was early 70's last time I went.
Told you it was useless information.
Yes we used to see them in the pub quite a bit, another thing they might have to get used to!

As for Randolph Turpin, I remember him when he was fighting in the 50s although I was only about ten - the name stood out, probably hearing it on the wireless etc. And Sir Henry Cooper unveiled a statue of him in Warwick Market Square, in the 50th anniversary year of his world title win.

Randolph Turpin - Career & Life

Nice picture of it below... takes me back to when I lived there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Randolph_Turpin_Warwick.JPG (108.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 25-09-2012, 01:26   #28

Dog Wink
Old 25-09-2012, 16:34   #29
Senior Member+

Where's the pic?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 22:50   #30

I don't know what I've done there!Will try again, could see it when I first posted it!

Kya winking at me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wink.jpg (3.5 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Mick; 26-09-2012 at 04:36.
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..