Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos > User Photos
Donate! Join Today

User Photos Got any interesting pictures? If you want to share them with us then post them here. Holidays, friends, whatever...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2016, 10:30   #1

Woodnook St Mary's ca. 1950

Hi.
Just found this old photo from the class of 1950 taken at Woodnook St. Marys.

The only people that I recognise are the following:
Back row second from the left the late Les Gibson
Back row second from the right myself (Philip Kenyon)
Middle row third from the right Elsie Sutton
Front row (sat down left) Gordon Whittaker

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woodnook-St-Marys.jpg (228.0 KB, 63 views)
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-06-2017, 15:56   #2

Re: Woodnook St Mary's ca. 1950

Philip,
Lovely picture. Are you related to Ronnie (Ronald) Kenyon who lived on Belfield Road. Ronnie and I, together with Terry Gorman (47 Nuttall Street) all went from Woodnook S.M. to Grammar School in 1949 so you look a bit young to be Ronnie's younger brother???
As for me, I lived on Factory Bottom where I note that our house at the junction of Victoria Street and Carter Street has been demolished and replaced by a grassy bank - great improvement.
John Wilson
grammarlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:38   #3
Senior Member+

Neither Ronnie Kenyon nor Terry Gorman are members of the Accrington Grammar School Old Boys Association, John. Are they still alive ? If so, I would like to make contact with them. I welcome you to this website
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 17:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammarlad View Post
Philip,
Lovely picture. Are you related to Ronnie (Ronald) Kenyon who lived on Belfield Road. Ronnie and I, together with Terry Gorman (47 Nuttall Street) all went from Woodnook S.M. to Grammar School in 1949 so you look a bit young to be Ronnie's younger brother???
As for me, I lived on Factory Bottom where I note that our house at the junction of Victoria Street and Carter Street has been demolished and replaced by a grassy bank - great improvement.
John Wilson
Hi John,
Yes Ronnie Kenyon is my older brother. he was born in 1938, I was born in 1943.
Terry Gorman who lived on Nuttall St. was a member of Christ Church scouts, as we were, so we knew one another very well. It also happens that Harry Brunten who was a sort of guardian for Terry and his sister, who's name I've forgotten was also a friend of our Grandfather who was manager of the moulding shop at H&B.
My brother made a career in the power supply industry and finished as head of the overhead lines for Devon & Cornwall. He is now a great, great Grandfather living near Exeter.

Cheers

Philip
Old 12-06-2017, 18:11   #5

Hi Bob,
I once asked my Brother about your old boys association, but sorry to say that he wasn't very interested.
I have no idea where Terry Gormann is at the moment or indeed whether he is still alive or not. The last time we were together was about 1960 in the Abbey pub!
Old 17-06-2017, 16:49   #6

Quote:
Philip,
John Wilson
Further to your remarks, you must have lived just across the road from the "Old Band Club" and probably next door or next door to one from my late mate John Crossley?

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Old 18-06-2017, 08:02   #7
Senior Member+

The Grammar School Old Boys Association isn't for everybody but I do like to keep in contact with lads. Often their old pals want to hear from them and I can put them in touch - ask him again please Philip. He started at AGS in 1949. Another Ron Kenyon rom Ossie started in 1939. He is on our register I will look for Terry Gorman
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 09:16   #8
Beacon of light

The name John Crossley rings a bell with me.
Did you by any chance know David Carter?
I think he would have been a little bit younger than you.
He lived in the terraced houses after the Old Band Club.
He was killed in a motor bike accident when he was about 17.
I lived on Riley's Hill way back then, so this area is very familiar to me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 04:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Hi there Margaret.
Sorry can't remember a David Carter.
Attached is a photo of John Crossley, the guy on the right. Hope this helps in remembering.
From Belfield Road we were always playing on Riley's Hill!
Old 21-06-2017, 06:19   #10
Beacon of light

I do remember him. He used to play with my brothers(Peter, Micheal and Philip)
Yes Riley's Hill and Priestley clough were our adventure playgrounds back then.
Trees to climb, blackberry bushes to pick from and streams to catch sticklebacks(and fall into).
Happy days.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 21-06-2017 at 06:22.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 17:11   #11

Quote:
Philip,
John Wilson
Hi john,
The below photo of a group of boy scouts was taken in Austria, after a trip down a salt mine.
Terry Gorman is on the front row far left, my Brother Ronnie middle row left. Incidentaly the late John Crossly is on the back row far right.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img328.jpg (55.5 KB, 30 views)
hilleluk likes this.
Old 22-07-2017, 16:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post

Hi there Margaret.
Sorry can't remember a David Carter.
Attached is a photo of John Crossley, the guy on the right. Hope this helps in remembering.
From Belfield Road we were always playing on Riley's Hill!
Here is a thumbnail photo which will give you a better view.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keith-Maralynn-Wedding.jpg (256.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 23-03-2018, 10:43   #13

Dear Philip,
I don't recall replying to this, but medical matters intervened. However, all that is behind me(!) and I am back enjoying the Accrington memories. I did indeed live between the Old Band Club and John Crossley's house, and the photo of John is unmistakeable. Sad to learn that Terry Gorman died in 2008; our last meeting was at my house in North Devon not long before that, so at least I was able to relive memories and anecdotes from our Grammar School days. I did speak to Ronnie by telephone at about the same time.
One little story relates to "our gang" including John Crossley and Peter Rigby (also factory bottom) managing to haul a Tizer wooden crate with a homemade parachute attached, all the way along the ridge of the Band Club and throwing it off into the yard below.Sheer vandalism. Lucky no-one was killed or injured.
grammarlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 20:58   #14
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Hi MP, am I right thinking David had a sister called Lynn.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 07:53   #15

Quote:
Dear Philip,
I don't recall replying to this, but medical matters intervened. However, all that is behind me(!) and I am back enjoying the Accrington memories. I did indeed live between the Old Band Club and John Crossley's house, and the photo of John is unmistakeable. Sad to learn that Terry Gorman died in 2008; our last meeting was at my house in North Devon not long before that, so at least I was able to relive memories and anecdotes from our Grammar School days. I did speak to Ronnie by telephone at about the same time.
One little story relates to "our gang" including John Crossley and Peter Rigby (also factory bottom) managing to haul a Tizer wooden crate with a homemade parachute attached, all the way along the ridge of the Band Club and throwing it off into the yard below.Sheer vandalism. Lucky no-one was killed or injured.
Hi Grammarlad,
Glad to hear that your medical matters are back to normal and that you are again writing on the Accrington Web.
Nice story about John Crossley.
Cheers
Philip Kenyon

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..