Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2005, 16:51   #1
Senior Member+

Unhappy Todays game

Having just arrived back to much abuse (coz Wigan won) I have to say I was more than disappointed today, not only with the numbers in the crowd (i think 1300 + but tannoy was dodgy) but also with the way we played. up until we scored, we seemed to want the ball and I thought Exeter were ordinary if not a lot dirty. Referee was very poor and would not give us anything. i lost count of the number of times Paul Mullin was leant all over and not given a free kick. However, once Exeter equalised, the defence seemed disjointed and the worst offender for me was Williams. I thought he was poor today, slipping all over the place. On the plus side, Mangan looked useful, the goalie (whatever his name is) looked good and could not be faulted for the goals IMHO. and Brown looked good as well. Again IMHO I think Paul Mullin is a yard too slow for this league, OK he is a great target man, but he did not seem much of a threat except for heading on long balls to Mangan. I would suggest to JC that maybe we need another defender and a tall attacker - oh and a permanent goalie would be nice.

P.S. a big thank you to the Non League Newspaper after I won 2 adult season tickets Yippee

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!

Last edited by Outback Ozzy; 27-08-2005 at 17:00.
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-08-2005, 17:17   #2
God Member

Re: Todays game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy
I think Paul Mullin is a yard too slow for this league
And not too good at taking penalties

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2005, 17:58   #3

Paul Mullin knockers back again. Pathetic. Please be made aware of his goal scoring record and then come back with a VALID response to Stanley's problems. It aint Paul Mullin fault that's for sure!!!
Old 27-08-2005, 18:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy
the goalie (whatever his name is)
this line does tend to sum things up in a nutshell don't you think?
Old 27-08-2005, 18:33   #5
Senior Member+

Match report now on the official site.

I have to echo Outback Ozzy's comments about Williams. I've bitten my lip for the first 4 games of the season, but how he continues to get in the team defies me.
Unless he was playing today because Welch was injured, Williams must be doing something for the manager that we don't know about!

And while I'm on a rant.... if Roberts backs out of one more challenge, even challenages where he's the obvious favourite to win, I'm going to run on the pitch and slap him silly! We need players who are committed, not nancy boys who prance about all afternoon.

Oh yeah.... the crowd was rubbish again too!

I thank you!
Old 27-08-2005, 18:35   #6
God Member

Paul Mullin got MOTM and I think deservedly.. He wasn't even brought to the club to score goals and that isn't his only role.. I thought he was superb today doing what he does best.. He got to just about every ball and nodded them on for Andy Mangan.. (Just like he used to do with Lutel) Unfortunatly Andy then got brushed off every ball by the bigger defenders and thats where we stopped.. However I think a little more experience and he will learn how to get past these guys and start banging them in..

As for Mullin being slow.. Well he was quickest to pounce on the ball and score our only goal..

In a nutshell... We had no options without him.. none at all..
Old 27-08-2005, 18:50   #7

The problem does not lie with the players. We have a potentially leathal talent pool. The problem lies with the management selection and tactics deployed, fire all will if you wish, but listen to the silent majority who mutter under their concerns quitely. The goal keeping situation is nothing short of comical, we had a perfectly good keeper who was allowed to leave........why??

IMHO The book rests with Mr Coleman, but I'm sure he knows and understands that!
Old 27-08-2005, 19:01   #8
Junior Member+

Hello new poster here...I was at the game today and thought we were generally the better side, but why was Welch dropped for Williams?
Distracted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2005, 19:48   #9
Senior Member+

i was at the game with my cousin we were the better side by far and the fans givein **** to the away fans what beter exictment can u get was top i am going agaen
MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2005, 20:30   #10

Some thoughts: The system the management tend to favour has become tedious and boring; some of us have been saying for years now that Williams is a liability at centre half and costs us quite a few goals per season. If he had two broken legs, a hernia and mad footballer disease Coley would still pick him there; the goalkeeping situation is unbelievable and, whilst ill-luck has played its part, not enough attention to it was given pre-season by the powers-that-be; we were the equal, if not better, than a hugely disappointing Exeter side who will be lucky to make the play-offs and who celebrated with their fans at the end as if they'd won the European Cup but had to watch them steal away with the points because of the above and other failings. I have the utmost admiration for John Coleman and what he has done for Stanley but currently, under his management, the club is stagnating and gates will continue to decline.
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2005, 21:14   #11
Senior Member+

Hmmm... some good points being made.

We do always seem to play the same game type, whatever formation we play. I heard some wit say today, "why don't Stanley play a long ball for a change", to which everyone around us was in fits of laughter. One dimensional play makes us very predictable to play against.
Old 28-08-2005, 00:14   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Cottier
this line does tend to sum things up in a nutshell don't you think?
Yes Adam , it does .

As I was working on Saturday afternoon , I'd be grateful for some confirmation as to who actually played in goal for us against Exeter City.

The Match Report mentions a player called Jones.

Surely not . . .
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2005, 00:44   #13
God Member

no it was randolph who we have on a months loan from charlton, sorry can't remember his first name

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2005, 01:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Morton
I'd be grateful for some confirmation as to who actually played in goal for us against Exeter City.
Darren Randolph, the Irish U19 Keeper from Charlton
Mik Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2005, 01:21   #15
God Member

cheers for that mik, couldn't remember his first name

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..