Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2005, 07:43   #16

Re: Clayton End Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganRed
Perhaps it should be the "Wits End" and set aside for the visiting supporters.

And when its only half full we can call it......
No, let's not go there!!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2005, 18:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy
I think Manchester City have got a stand called
The Colin Bell End or something like that
Actually, it's the Colin Bell stand not end.
Footiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 18:45   #18

Just some info about Ilyas Khan for those who might never have heard of him before today....

From the Lancashire Evening Telegraph, first published Monday 5th Apr 1999.

HONG Kong banker Ilyas Khan is considering legal action in his bid to buy Accrington Stanley. Accrington-born Khan's bid was last week turned down by current chairman Eric Whalley, who claimed the club is not for sale.But Whalley's reaction has provoked a furious response from Khan, who has demanded an apology.Khan described Whalley's initial attitude as "full of invective and personal animosity".He said: "I am somewhat bemused by the sheer inventiveness of a number of Mr Whalley's statements but I have no doubt that all aspects of the matter will eventually come out in the wash."I am clearly interested in buying Mr Whalley's shares."He has been bad for the club, and for the community."Someone who is interested in building a club worthy of Accrington in the 21st century should be the major shareholder."The relationship between the degree of 'hands-on' management of Mr Whalley and the results of the club cannot be avoided."In any other commercial situation, the responsibility and accountability vested in the individual concerned, in this case Mr Whalley, would have led to some sort of consequence." Whalley said the quoted £750,000 for his 60 per cent stake was "irrelevant" and an off-the-cuff price.
But Khan, who owns 12 per cent of the club, said: "During my conversation last week, I asked Mr Whalley if it were possible to have a meaningful conversation on the question of his shareholding."In case Mr Whalley is still confused, I asked this question in order not to ascertain a value, but to prepare the ground for a formal offer."Despite the fact that I only asked Mr Whalley whether it was 'worth talking about his shares' he proceeded to tell me that he thought his shares were worth £750,000 and that, if I was able to offer him this amount, he would happily sell."At no time did Mr Whalley indicate this was a tongue in cheek comment."Indeed, Mr Whalley's rather breathless and loud response indicated the opposite of lightheartedness."
Khan, a 36-year-old Stanley fan, has instructed a British solicitor to tackle the question of minimum rights of minority shareholders.His plans for the club include professional management at commercial and playing level as well as an expanded board to include representatives from the town, supporters and players.He added: "I am not implying that the current manager is inadequate in any way - I will leave those decisions for people more qualified."In fact, as far as I can see, the current coaching staff are the last people to be blamed and are struggling manfully in difficult conditions."
Footiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 18:55   #19

Talking Re: Clayton End Roof

Hang on a min - have I missed sumat? Why has Ilyas been mentioned here?

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 19:27   #20
God Member

because he has named the new clayton end after his mother!

And with a suit like that how can we call him???

Last edited by John_Timmins; 17-09-2005 at 21:03.
John_Timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 19:58   #21

Talking Re: Clayton End Roof

Sorry just read the fishy site... good on him...

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 14:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener
And when its only half full we can call it......
Perish the thought! It never entered my mind.
MichiganRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 16:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footiegirl
Just some info about Ilyas Khan for those who might never have heard of him before today....

From the Lancashire Evening Telegraph, first published Monday 5th Apr 1999.

HONG Kong banker Ilyas Khan is considering legal action in his bid to buy Accrington Stanley. Accrington-born Khan's bid was last week turned down by current chairman Eric Whalley, who claimed the club is not for sale.But Whalley's reaction has provoked a furious response from Khan, who has demanded an apology.Khan described Whalley's initial attitude as "full of invective and personal animosity".He said: "I am somewhat bemused by the sheer inventiveness of a number of Mr Whalley's statements but I have no doubt that all aspects of the matter will eventually come out in the wash."I am clearly interested in buying Mr Whalley's shares."He has been bad for the club, and for the community."Someone who is interested in building a club worthy of Accrington in the 21st century should be the major shareholder."The relationship between the degree of 'hands-on' management of Mr Whalley and the results of the club cannot be avoided."In any other commercial situation, the responsibility and accountability vested in the individual concerned, in this case Mr Whalley, would have led to some sort of consequence." Whalley said the quoted £750,000 for his 60 per cent stake was "irrelevant" and an off-the-cuff price.
But Khan, who owns 12 per cent of the club, said: "During my conversation last week, I asked Mr Whalley if it were possible to have a meaningful conversation on the question of his shareholding."In case Mr Whalley is still confused, I asked this question in order not to ascertain a value, but to prepare the ground for a formal offer."Despite the fact that I only asked Mr Whalley whether it was 'worth talking about his shares' he proceeded to tell me that he thought his shares were worth £750,000 and that, if I was able to offer him this amount, he would happily sell."At no time did Mr Whalley indicate this was a tongue in cheek comment."Indeed, Mr Whalley's rather breathless and loud response indicated the opposite of lightheartedness."
Khan, a 36-year-old Stanley fan, has instructed a British solicitor to tackle the question of minimum rights of minority shareholders.His plans for the club include professional management at commercial and playing level as well as an expanded board to include representatives from the town, supporters and players.He added: "I am not implying that the current manager is inadequate in any way - I will leave those decisions for people more qualified."In fact, as far as I can see, the current coaching staff are the last people to be blamed and are struggling manfully in difficult conditions."
Didnt know about that.

I assume he didn't get anywhere legally then??

Sounds like the sort of guy who would be good for the club. He's obviously keen as I would assume he's paid some, if not all, of the cost of this roof.

I guess they have buried there differences??

Can anyone tell us more about this?? Is the club Erics 'baby'??

Sounds like an awesome opportunity to take the club to bigger things was passed up there for a personal reason, never a good sign!!

We have that problem at Everton at the moment with Bill Kenwright. He doesn't have the personal wealth to invest what the club needs to progress yet he will find a problem with anyone willing to invest basically because he doesn't want to relinquish power.

Not good.
Staveros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 16:20   #24
Full Member+

Hold on a minute!

In April 1999, Stanley were about to be relegated to the Unibond First Division. Eric's appointment of John Coleman and Jimmy Bell, plus the money that he has invested into this club have turned it around. I'd hold back on any talk of lost opportunities if I were you
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 17:15   #25
Senior Member+

Yeah i agree WR, King Eric has done wonders for us!
Old 18-09-2005, 17:31   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalley Red
Hold on a minute!

In April 1999, Stanley were about to be relegated to the Unibond First Division. Eric's appointment of John Coleman and Jimmy Bell, plus the money that he has invested into this club have turned it around. I'd hold back on any talk of lost opportunities if I were you
Woooah there, im only asking.

The guys clearly a mad keen Stanley fan, im just saying.

As an outsider I just get the impression that Stanley is run 'on the cheap' at the moment, a bit tin pot if you will.

They have the begging bowls out at every turn be it for a roof or seemingly just a bit of advertising of match ticket offers "helped by our main partner oswadtwistle mills".

Surely a man with that kind of wealth and some serious ambition could only be good for the club??

Football is a business nowadays, there is no room for sentiment.

Bill Kenwright is a great Evertonian but he is not a great chairman for the simple reason that he lets his own love of the club get in the way of commercial progress. IMO thats not healthy.
Old 18-09-2005, 18:19   #27

Stavros You Are Right On A Buisness Basis, But I Can See Where W R And Zanyo 14 Are Coming From
Old 18-09-2005, 19:03   #28

Eric isn't making the club 'tin-pot' as you call it, he is being very careful and is pushing the club forward at a very healthy pace. I for one am 100% behind Eric

Best Drummer in the land
7/4/2007
The Day The Ultras Formed The Cowshed Choir
Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2005, 19:35   #29
Senior Member+

There a dozens of clubs who relied on single backers to pave the way for their success and are now suffering for doing so, once the backer got fed up and dropped out.

It's ok these 'money people' coming in and buying success, but once they've gone the club has to pick up the pieces, often leagues lower than where they started.
Old 18-09-2005, 20:18   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey
There a dozens of clubs who relied on single backers to pave the way for their success and are now suffering for doing so, once the backer got fed up and dropped out.

It's ok these 'money people' coming in and buying success, but once they've gone the club has to pick up the pieces, often leagues lower than where they started.
This cat Ilyas doesn't sound like that to me.

It sounds like he has a long term commitment to Stanley ANYWAY and is still helping the club with the stand etc.

The conference is a decent level and there are a lot of ambitious chairmen out there. No disrespect to eric but if we are scratching around to put a poxy roof on a stand what hope is there of competing for the top players??

Having read this guys(khan)list of business interests he sounds like a serious player to me, the kind of guy who could get us out of the conference in a flash.

Im only speculating anyway, now they're mates and stuff im guessing he's not interested anymore??

If he was though I think it would be foolish not to look at it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..