Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2005, 19:27   #1
God Member

spreading the gospel

Maybe's the good people of Accrington don't necessarily know the existence and reputation of the Stanley Ultra's. The thing that the North West's premier Ultra group is short of is local exposure and numbers. Let's plague the Accrington Observer and Lancashire Evening Telegraph with letters and e-mails praising the atmosphere/behaviour/lunacy of matchday. Any comments on anything, put 'em into print. Rovers and Burnley have letters in the letters page why not us? I'll tell you why: cos we dont do it.

Our non-league culture has always befitted being small-time. Well no-more. We are not the least popular of three, we are the third BIGGEST club in Lancashire. Nay, we are the biggest little club in the world. We are the club that refused to die, we are the epitome of the diehard spirit of endeavour that makes English football the envy of the world.

Why should Morecambe get 500 a week more that us. Sod Rovers and Burnley, instead of waiting til they are crap again and fans may or may not wander to The Crown, Lets just take em. The Stanley are being aggressive with financial initiatives such as mortgages so lets follow suit. They are tied with following proper channels to gain media exposure we aren't.

Jase got into 4-4-2 somehow, so can we find other media channels. Via Kipax.com I'm sure our illustrious papparazzi man knows of people he can send pictures too. We have fans who work in industries that can help our cause. Does anybody work for a cable Tv company and know how to get a tv documentary done? Does anybody work in radio and can get us some mentions. How about an article in the news section of the locals on the fans Vitty? Loweiy got his funny spelt name in the Telegraph every other day, who's next?

People over the years have came saw and tried to conquer with regards to the bull by the horns and Loweiy has come the closest to cracking it. He presided over the most successful era in modern Stanley history and was rightfully revered by most fans. He drove on with the coaches when others had tired of it and ushered in a more professional mode of transportation than the Russ-Bus, Plum Tours or Chicken bus. He took on the mantle of manager for the Stanley Ultra's rather good football team. Although he enjoys the adulation he receives and seeing his name in print more than Jordan, at what point does it become too much? At what point does someone take a back seat to concentrate on work or family or growing up. Who takes it on then? No-body? Any-body? We need many such some-bodies. People notice when you are not there (thread on Cammy and not bringing an absence note) but they dont notice when you are doing something. Are you all going to let Jase be the Big Man on Campus? I praise his enthusiasm for carnivale but he cant be everywhere.

When we have a roof, umbrella or steel, we need to have fans to put under it. We know that when we get the amplifier we will provide the bass. Anybody new will love our atmosphere but we need to get them in. If we start our efforts now then hopefully they will be gathering pace by the time we get our much vaunted Sophia Khan Stand.

I would appreciate no negative post in response to this, as people are reluctant enough to give things a go. Encourage each other and remember that confidence breeds confidence.

And so it begins:
Old 15-11-2005, 19:28   #2
God Member

Re: spreading the gospel

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/...stanley_2.html

to pester the Observer
Old 15-11-2005, 20:26   #3
God Member

My cousins eldest saw the ultras up the corner and think they are mad. With the exposure fore tv you could become hero's nation wide. A footy mad mob that loves its team but is full of fun is waht footy is crying out for. Keep it up and the world well country will be proud.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:56   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
Maybe's the good people of Accrington don't necessarily know the existence and reputation of the Stanley Ultra's. The thing that the North West's premier Ultra group is short of is local exposure and numbers. Let's plague the Accrington Observer and Lancashire Evening Telegraph with letters and e-mails praising the atmosphere/behaviour/lunacy of matchday. Any comments on anything, put 'em into print. Rovers and Burnley have letters in the letters page why not us? I'll tell you why: cos we dont do it.

Our non-league culture has always befitted being small-time. Well no-more. We are not the least popular of three, we are the third BIGGEST club in Lancashire. Nay, we are the biggest little club in the world. We are the club that refused to die, we are the epitome of the diehard spirit of endeavour that makes English football the envy of the world.

Why should Morecambe get 500 a week more that us. Sod Rovers and Burnley, instead of waiting til they are crap again and fans may or may not wander to The Crown, Lets just take em. The Stanley are being aggressive with financial initiatives such as mortgages so lets follow suit. They are tied with following proper channels to gain media exposure we aren't.

Jase got into 4-4-2 somehow, so can we find other media channels. Via Kipax.com I'm sure our illustrious papparazzi man knows of people he can send pictures too. We have fans who work in industries that can help our cause. Does anybody work for a cable Tv company and know how to get a tv documentary done? Does anybody work in radio and can get us some mentions. How about an article in the news section of the locals on the fans Vitty? Loweiy got his funny spelt name in the Telegraph every other day, who's next?

People over the years have came saw and tried to conquer with regards to the bull by the horns and Loweiy has come the closest to cracking it. He presided over the most successful era in modern Stanley history and was rightfully revered by most fans. He drove on with the coaches when others had tired of it and ushered in a more professional mode of transportation than the Russ-Bus, Plum Tours or Chicken bus. He took on the mantle of manager for the Stanley Ultra's rather good football team. Although he enjoys the adulation he receives and seeing his name in print more than Jordan, at what point does it become too much? At what point does someone take a back seat to concentrate on work or family or growing up. Who takes it on then? No-body? Any-body? We need many such some-bodies. People notice when you are not there (thread on Cammy and not bringing an absence note) but they dont notice when you are doing something. Are you all going to let Jase be the Big Man on Campus? I praise his enthusiasm for carnivale but he cant be everywhere.

When we have a roof, umbrella or steel, we need to have fans to put under it. We know that when we get the amplifier we will provide the bass. Anybody new will love our atmosphere but we need to get them in. If we start our efforts now then hopefully they will be gathering pace by the time we get our much vaunted Sophia Khan Stand.

I would appreciate no negative post in response to this, as people are reluctant enough to give things a go. Encourage each other and remember that confidence breeds confidence.

And so it begins:

Reference yesterdays Telegraph features, if that had been coupled with a fans effort in the town centre today it would have really got things going.

The coverage was excellent and we could ask no more from one newspaper. My view on it though is that had the people who knew it was going to happen mentioned something to various other people then we could have capitalised on it more. For the ssame game we could have had posters in ALL the local pubs, Jase could could have had the flyer promotion around town with 50 people instead of 6. Those that don't think their bag is promotions could have done just that by wearing their shirts or scarves in town. I walked through town at 12:30 today and saw just 1 shirt. We should be plastering the town red and white at this time of season.

Eric or Rob, please try to inform the supporters next time something is planned because we may just be able to help. If the Telegraph had planned to do the sticker campaign in town instead of at the ground, then they would have hit the market that doesn't go to the games rather than those at the ground who already go to the match. Who needs a sticker more?

Telgraph perched in the middle of Broadway with up to 50 Ultras handing out flyers and then maybe 250+ fans milling around anyway wearing their red and whitery would have had a great influence on the stay-aways.
Old 11-02-2006, 16:52   #5

Macca, for whatever reason, I missed your original post... but, having now had the chance to read, all I can say is that the Telegraph should print it in full! It deserves a wider audience!
Your comments, as always, are to the point, & constructive. Yes, I picked up several stickers today, with the intention of passing them around, but, I take your point that the Telegraph girls should have been in the town centre, preaching to the uninitiated!
They've probably got loads of them left, so, how about giving them to Jase, (stickers, that is, not the girls!) for when he is next out & about with fellow Ultras?
Agree that we could be better informed when such publicity is imminent... surely people at the club are aware of it beforehand? If not we need a good marketing manager.... fancy the job?
But, then again, from reading your posts, you're probably in a much better paid position already!
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 18:12   #6
God Member

thank you for your kind comments Kitchener, but no I am not in a well paid job at all. Should such a job ever become available then I would love to be considered for such a post. My thoughts are only what people say in the pubs in and around town but keep to themselves.

The difference between Rovers/Burnley and Stanley fans is that they have been in the majority for many years, now it may well be 50/50. We have the impetus and the product to lay into these people but it has to be a sustained and co-ordinated effort. The real test if our Mettle will be next year when our crowds really will be considered crap. Again, we have the power to make things happen if we can be arsed. Can you be arsed? If all you have to do is wear your colours in town 2 or 3 hours before kick-off, would you change your shopping time or habits? Instead of shopping at 10 o'clock go at 12 and then go straight to the match, but wear your colours. Iknow the weather is not yet t-shirt weather, but put a jumper underneath. Get into the habit now and then when we get to Easter and that first bit of spring sunshine you will already be in the habit. Let's make Rovers and Burnley feel like the minority for the first time ever. Lets pack the pubs with red and white. Alot of people go for a pint before the game but we go to different pubs. Lets start going to the same pub. If you don't have a pint before hand then have one, if you already have a pint/s then have one extra. Lets arrange a pub and work from there. I have two or three before home matches and there are four or five of us that do so. Help me swell that number to fourteen or fifteen. From there we create a group that people will tag onto, we create pre-match atmosphere and make people think that they are missing out on something.

Where do you drink before a match and how many of you are there?. Would you prefer two or three to be nine or ten? Do you like being a minority in your local pub? Most pubs have a Stanley local who gives everybody the low-down and match reports etc but the people who ask the questions will never come to the match, they will stay in the lush and have 7 or 8 pints before going home to change their shirt and going back to the same place. Drag em up. If you are in the minority then let us know and we (the new found group of 10 plus (are you gonna be one?))will come to your pub and help you not be the minority.

Give me the encouragement and I will encourage and help you. Tell me where you want to drink and how many there are and we will swell you number. This is our time, lets be part of history. Lets make our own history. You are going out anyway help make your day better by getting more involved.

How badly do you want it?

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 11-02-2006 at 18:17.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 18:56   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod
Jase could could have had the flyer promotion around town with 50 people instead of 6.
With all due respect, so could you fella, or anybody else on this forum

I got a business to run etc etc Would have loved to & will do it at the next available opportunity but sometimes you wonder why nobody else takes the "baton" when I can't!

Same with Playstation nights
Same with Banners on railings
Same with trying to get people on away coach
etc
etc
etc

As Macca says we all need to take joint responsibilty for filling OUR ground. Lets grab that statement by the scruff of the neck.

Count me in , next time you are filling a pub in Stanleyites mate

Dream the Impossible Dream!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 19:10   #8
God Member

the only reason I said 'Jase could have had the promotion blah blah' was in response to a previous thread where I said we could do this and that and you said we already do the town centre etc.

Various people have done their bit over the years, myself, John Russell, Loweiy, now yourself (apologies anybody missed out). Your bang on that you can't do it yourself. If the work load was shared then you can and will do more and for longer, if you do it yourself then you will burn out and get fed up.

That is the point I have tried to make in the past that we as an official unofficial body of people need to organise ourselves. I will do whatever I can, but I cannot get to every match anymore and haven't done for two or three years. I cannot guarantee my time to the supporters club so don't. As a group of people we should be able to organise ourselves that you do this and I'll do that and the Supporters Club can do t'other. We can either do it or not.

All those in favour say aye
Old 11-02-2006, 19:24   #9
Senior Member+

Aye Aye Aye

Dream the Impossible Dream!

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 11-02-2006, 23:56   #10

I'm well the point that macca makes, for the last few years i have intersested and asked people i know and have worked with to folow the stanley. The majority guests have turned into fans, buying shirts, scarfs and other merchandise not to mention inviting their friends and friends of friends. It's time now that we all do our upmost for the 1. the team. 2 the supporters and 3 the Mighty Stanley! Get em on the wagon while it's rolling and let's trry and fill the house for the morecambe game.
Come on fans, armchair supporters and Accrington people!
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 00:36   #11
God Member

spuds been drinking, spuds been drinking nagh nagh nagh nagh

yeagh ok .. so have I
Old 17-06-2006, 09:49   #12
God Member

bringing back to the top as this is relevant to the current arguments going on about splitting the support

Firstly, the Official Supporters Club has survived for years and done much admirable work for and on behalf of the club. I admire and applaud the work that has been done and will continue to be done. I and many others have been to the meetings over the years and for various personal reasons pertinent to each individual we don't go any more. My reasons for not going are that I don't think that we need an OSC for the reasons of raising funds for the club. No disrespect to those who put in a lot of effort into fundraising but the totals raised are unimportant to a club with our turnover. If ASFC really needs a couple of grand a year to survive then its time we folded again now. Accy Clarets have supporters meetings but not to hold a jumble sale (for example) in order to buy paint to do the bogs on the Turf.

I think that our efforts would be far more better invested in raising the profile of the club. I have said before that if we can get another 100 people on the ground then 100 people x £13 x 24 home matches equals £31 200 pound extra in the club coffers. The club can decide themselves what to do with the money.

For this reason, The Ultras will this year be concentrating on taking the club into the town. We have amongst us people who have the respect of the club, people who are well connected with the media, and people who are passionate about the club. It is our aim to get out and about and put the club firmly in the forethoughts of the local population. As I mentioned earlier in the thread everybody can help in this by wearing their shirts around town. Lets drown out the Rovers and Burnley shirts with a sea of red.

Which brings me to my next point. We will soon be commencing with the vision of Red and White Fortnight. At the start of July (with many shops still decked out in England regalia) we will be approaching as many shops as possible and asking them to deck out their shops in Red and White. I want to see Accy melting under a red Accrington wave, I wanna see flags flying above Broadway, I wanna see posters in every shop doorway (thanks to K.S.H.) I wanna see every man woman and child proudly displaying the Accrington crest upon their chest. I can't do this on my own, the Ultras can't do it on their own, this is revolution time. We are about to embark on a fairytale adventure through League football. We are now a serious threat to the revenue streams at Ewood and Turf (thanks Kilby-complaining about us just further enhanced our growing stature) We have the power between us to make that adventure a whole lot fancier.

Most of us reckon our crowds will average about 2500 with 3500 on the first few games. Can we stretch that to a capacity for the few games and then 3500 average? I think we can. The Ultras think we can. We have the best support in Lancashire without a shadow of a doubt. Just think what it would be like if it was twice as big. Lets fill the ground and force Erics hand with regard to improving the ground. Thats why the lack of a roof ****es me off, because when we get the neutrals in they will want a reason to stay. That reason has to be the atmosphere. The atmosphere we create away from home has been tremendous at some places and poor at other places. The difference is how the away end is set up. Most clubs have poor support at home because nobody tries. We have great support at home, the enthusiasm and passion is there but with no roof to contain it it just drifts into the night
Old 17-06-2006, 10:26   #13
Senior Member+

So in essence, we need bodies to help in any way possible, starting mid July. We hope to get the press involved, we hope to get 2br involved & we hope people of Accrington support our efforts to promote our famous club.

The recruitment drive will hopefully be present in town before every game next season, mascot, banners & leaflets.

It is important that posters & promotional material get distributed & advertised in as many places as possible.

PS Remember this is neither an Ultra or Non-Ultra (whatever that means) project, its just something we feel should be done for EVERYONE's benefit

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Old 17-06-2006, 10:35   #14
God Member

this is something that everybody can get into.

talk your local shops into doing their windows red and white. Make sure they have a poster in their doorway. Talk your boss into doing something.

Do you work at a printers? Can you print things for us?

Whatever you do for a job is there an angle that we can utilise.

We are hoping that the club can offer prizes as incentive for the best window display. We want the newspapers and radio stations to blitz East Lancashire for a couple of weeks. We want to be in the news on the news and be the news. I want letters in the newspapers letter page as well as page 1 and the back page. Wear your shirt, fly a flag, put up a poster, talk your mate or your auntie into coming to the first game. Sing it Loud Sing it proud, shout it from the rooftops

"I AM A STANLEY FAN"

By the way the Ultras motto is by the fans for the fans

it is about the fans improving things for the fans.

We will support this club whatever happens, most of us have done for the majority of our lives. I don't care about the ground being a ****hole 'cos I'll still go to it. I just want to have a good time. I can do that if there is a big crowd with a big atmosphere. Bring on the carnival

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 17-06-2006 at 10:41.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 10:46   #15
Senior Member+

We can make stickers & whack em on Vic's milk bottles............

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..